**** Official USPGA Open Golf Thread ****

USPGA, last major of the golfing year starts on Thursday coming.

Feels strange being so early because of the Olympics and the British Open just finishing. 

Looking at this, I see it as the last big opportunity for players to make the Ryder Cup Team on merit, actually think there is a group of players (Lowry, Dubisson, Knox etc ) playing for one place as Westwood and Kaymer are certs as it stands for wildcard picks.

I think I'll back Mcilroy as he is a hit putter away from taking a course apart.

Also thinking about outside bets for Garcia and Westwood just through wanting them to do well. 

Here's hoping the golf is as good as it was at the British Open. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

USPGA, last major of the golfing year starts on Thursday coming.

Feels strange being so early because of the Olympics and the British Open just finishing. 

Looking at this, I see it as the last big opportunity for players to make the Ryder Cup Team on merit, actually think there is a group of players (Lowry, Dubisson, Knox etc ) playing for one place as Westwood and Kaymer are certs as it stands for wildcard picks.

I think I'll back Mcilroy as he is a hit putter away from taking a course apart.

Also thinking about outside bets for Garcia and Westwood just through wanting them to do well. 

Here's hoping the golf is as good as it was at the British Open. 

Depends whether Clarke factors in Knox not being a member of the European Tour last year and his ranking points didn't count. If he had been, he'd be in sixth place. His accuracy of the tee and GIR make him the ideal doubles partner. Agree he'll still have to put in a shift though.

13 minutes ago, GMac said:

Depends whether Clarke factors in Knox not being a member of the European Tour last year and his ranking points didn't count. If he had been, he'd be in sixth place. His accuracy of the tee and GIR make him the ideal doubles partner. Agree he'll still have to put in a shift though.

Yeah I think his big choice is between Knox as the American based player who looks a ready made player for the doubles or Lowry who has won in America and is a good match play player.

Can Casey get a wildcard even though he opted out of European Tour Card?

Just now, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Yeah I think his big choice is between Knox as the American based player who looks a ready made player for the doubles or Lowry who has won in America and is a good match play player.

Can Casey get a wildcard even though he opted out of European Tour Card?

No not possible for Casey. Don't think he's interested anyway. The problem for Clarke is that Knox is 6th in the FedEx cup. Ryder cup selection is made after the first tournament in the FedEx. Leave Knox out and he performs well in the last three legs then he could be made to look stupid. If Knox can finish 12th he'll get there i think.

44 minutes ago, GMac said:

No not possible for Casey. Don't think he's interested anyway. The problem for Clarke is that Knox is 6th in the FedEx cup. Ryder cup selection is made after the first tournament in the FedEx. Leave Knox out and he performs well in the last three legs then he could be made to look stupid. If Knox can finish 12th he'll get there i think.

Yeah worked that way for America two years ago, Monday Billy Horschel played superb n never got in the team. 

Casey is a strange one, would walk into the team but chose not to play. 

Interesting the last three majors at Baltusrol

1980 Nicklaus leader after first round, went on to win 

1993 Lee Janzen, one shot off the lead after first round, went on to win

2005 Mickelson, leader after first round, went on to win.

Suggests it's a course without too many chances. Couple of reckless shots and there's no way back.

Apparently the course took a bit of a pounding today with rain and practice was ultimately suspended due to lightning. Winds of 40-50 mph are meant to be "the norm"!!!!!!!

Hopefully it dies down a bit but the USPGA love to make it difficult and hate anyone getting under par! From today..........

Main bets are Day, Stenson and Finau. Will probs have a few smaller bets before Thursday.

Sat talking to my uncle about it last night mentioning potential winners, ended up rattling through most the field. Great quality atm.

11 hours ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Dustin's wife better sleep in the spare room tonight.

Aye the big man made a cunt of it. For all the player he is he ain't clawing back 12 shots. 

My bets were pish, finau, jb holmes, Garcia all played pish.

Only two I have challenging are Westwood and Kaymer.