Corners

Any goals which came as a direct result of corner kicks?   How many shots on goal arising from moves which directly trace to a short corner?   How many corners were fired directly into the penalty box and not taken as short corners?  

Then again we still don't have the type of goal scoring striker - or other players - who would be a real threat in a penalty box by getting on the end of conventionally struck corner kicks.    If its still to be a strategy of the vast majority of corners to be taken short and play it from there our play retains a high degree of predictability which, imo, is not a good thing.    I still think we need the option of a tall strong goal scoring striker to give some variety to the pressure we create.   Without that, and if the % of short corners being converted into goals is not high enough then corners are not really a big threat in our attacking armoury.

I must one of the few who prefer the short corners.  I don't have any figures but my intuition is they are more successful than most Bears think.  They end up with a decent ball into the box or an attempt on goal at least as often as 'ordinary' corners. 

1 hour ago, Reformation Bear said:

Any goals which came as a direct result of corner kicks?   How many shots on goal arising from moves which directly trace to a short corner?   How many corners were fired directly into the penalty box and not taken as short corners?  

Then again we still don't have the type of goal scoring striker - or other players - who would be a real threat in a penalty box by getting on the end of conventionally struck corner kicks.    If its still to be a strategy of the vast majority of corners to be taken short and play it from there our play retains a high degree of predictability which, imo, is not a good thing.    I still think we need the option of a tall strong goal scoring striker to give some variety to the pressure we create.   Without that, and if the % of short corners being converted into goals is not high enough then corners are not really a big threat in our attacking armoury.

9 minutes ago, Briton said:

I must one of the few who prefer the short corners.  I don't have any figures but my intuition is they are more successful than most Bears think.  They end up with a decent ball into the box or an attempt on goal at least as often as 'ordinary' corners. 

I like the short corners but as FB suggests it won't take teams long to figure out a plan to stop them. Having the option to put a 'normal' corner wouldn't harm us, plenty of good attackers with heading ability that could also fit into our regular style of play.

Whether we can afford one good enough is another story.

Bound to be a bargain somewhere but I couldn't suggest one . Stopped watching lower league football couple of years ago.

we are wastefull with corners, we cheer when the team gets one but more often than not we end up back at the halfway line after one. yes we don't have any 8ft strikers but corners dont need to be played in high, fire it in to the box, anything can happen . 

37 minutes ago, Lothianbear said:

we are wastefull with corners, we cheer when the team gets one but more often than not we end up back at the halfway line after one. yes we don't have any 8ft strikers but corners dont need to be played in high, fire it in to the box, anything can happen . 

dont know any team that has an 8ft striker tbf

1 hour ago, Orangeclement said:

I like the short corners but as FB suggests it won't take teams long to figure out a plan to stop them. Having the option to put a 'normal' corner wouldn't harm us, plenty of good attackers with heading ability that could also fit into our regular style of play.

Whether we can afford one good enough is another story.

Bound to be a bargain somewhere but I couldn't suggest one . Stopped watching lower league football couple of years ago.

Yes makes sense to mix them up a bit. 

3 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Tallest striker that ever was was a Chinease lad by the name of "Yang Changpeng" who was measured at being 6ft9.

Played 613 minutes over 20 appearances netting 5 goals in that time. (2016) 

How Hi is a chinese man

3 hours ago, Craig/ said:

You sit in the front row of the Govan front? Seen somebody celebrating when a corner was given late on :)

Haha. Near enough. Row K. Wasn't at the game last night though. I had over 11 on. We ended it with 14. Nice.