Ray Wilkins.

Just noticed in a news article that Ray Wilkins was up in court on a drink driving charge and admitted that he had a serious alcohol problem, we hear about the great Gazza and his problems but I for one didn't know about Wilkins. It really is a great shame I had the pleasure of meeting him while he played for us and I honestly thought that he was a true gentleman (plus a pretty good midfielder) I for one wish him all the best in his ongoing battle with his demons.

I have no sympathy at all. 

A glowing career at club and international level, wealth beyond his wildest dreams, still working in tv and radio, a career many can only dream of.

Like gazza is a repeat offender. This says to me that there is no remorse attached, just sorry he got caught. Obviously has problems but again doesn't look like he wants the help. 

I saw the state my dad was in after being called to the scene of a drink driver smash. It's inconsiderate and reckless.

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

A glowing career at club and international level, wealth beyond his wildest dreams, still working in tv and radio, a career many can only dream of.

Like gazza is a repeat offender. This says to me that there is no remorse attached, just sorry he got caught. Obviously has problems but again doesn't look like he wantst the help. 

I saw the state my dad was in after being called to the scene of a drink driver smash. It's inconsiderate and reckless.

Sorry not for a minute condoning the drink driving bit ( had to deal with the aftermath of those things myself) I just felt sorry for the person having such a wonderful talent, but through his addiction is throwing it all away.

Double edged one, this. Have plenty of sympathy for alcoholics, but it stops short of when they start to drink drive. 

Brass tacks is he's lucky he didn't kill anyone. Reckless doesn't even begin to cover it.

I do hope he beats the demons though, and I hope he doesn't do anything so stupid again.

Theres two types of drunk driver in my opinion. One who take the car to the pub, gets hammered then drives home. And one who has no intention of driving but gets pished then makes the mistake of driving, not fully conscious of his actions.  

The former is a cunt and sorry they got caught, the latter just daft and probably genuinely remorseful. 

5 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Like gazza is a repeat offender. This says to me that there is no remorse attached, just sorry he got caught. Obviously has problems but again doesn't look like he wants the help. 

If only Gazza and Ray Wilkins had your moral fortitude Saint Sasa.

Was very surprised to read this yesterday aswell, always came across in the media well spoken and immaculately dressed, certainly not a stereotype alcoholic. Just goes to show that alcoholism has no respect for gender, social status, education, upbringing etc. I'm certainly not anti alcohol, many people can have a social drink, even get drunk, with no real negative effects. For some though, alcohol acts as a pure poison in their bodies resulting in physical, mental, and perhaps spiritual degradation. All the best Ray, I was there the day you said farewell to us v Dunfermline on a foggy Ibrox afternoon, you were a world class player.

4 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Was very surprised to read this yesterday aswell, always came across in the media well spoken and immaculately dressed, certainly not a stereotype alcoholic. Just goes to show that alcoholism has no respect for gender, social status, education, upbringing etc. I'm certainly not anti alcohol, many people can have a social drink, even get drunk, with no real negative effects. For some though, alcohol acts as a pure poison in their bodies resulting in physical, mental, and perhaps spiritual degradation. All the best Ray, I was there the day you said farewell to us v Dunfermline on a foggy Ibrox afternoon, you were a world class player.

Ray seems to have been battling this for some time. Surprosing of that generation its him and Kenny Sansom that seem to have the biggest issues to deal with.  There were others it would have been less surprising to hear about.

Apparently he's undergoing treatment at the Priory so hopefully he can fight whatever demons are inside him. 

If the poor guy is an alcoholic then people need to understand it is an illness, he is mentally incapable of showing remorse,alcoholism harms mental growth,it blurs right from wrong obv drink driving is a big no no, im sure he wont be proud of it but his priority will be staying away from the bottle,lets hope he gets all the help he can and im sure support for a former ger can only help him on his journey, like Gazza i wish him all the best being an alcoholic myself and sober 2 year i always have a soft spot for players fallen on hard times.

8 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

The guys an alcoholic ffs, he is ill and needs help. I take it you do not know any alcoholics? My dad was one, I never seen him drunk for 12 years growing up then when I was 18 he hit it badly for 5 years or so, then he sorted himself out for 3 or 4 years and this continued over the next 20 years.

Sometimes he would be on it a week before I got to him but the money he could spend was unbelievable, I admired him for the way he tackled his illness head on and he was dry for 3 or 4 years before he passed away 3 years back.

Yes drink driving is bad but he did not go out wanting to hurt someone, he needs help but now he has prison hanging over him if he does it again he might get his act togeather.

Only Butch alone can do this, probably the hardest fight of his life as it readily available at every function he ever attends. Jimmy Greives is another alcoholic but dry, he has been dry for year upon years yet any event he attends alcohol is banned or he does not attend.

I wish you well Butch on your road to recovery, you have always come across as a decent chap as you would say?. 

11 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

The guys an alcoholic ffs, he is ill and needs help. I take it you do not know any alcoholics? My dad was one, I never seen him drunk for 12 years growing up then when I was 18 he hit it badly for 5 years or so, then he sorted himself out for 3 or 4 years and this continued over the next 20 years.

Sometimes he would be on it a week before I got to him but the money he could spend was unbelievable, I admired him for the way he tackled his illness head on and he was dry for 3 or 4 years before he passed away 3 years back.

Yes drink driving is bad but he did not go out wanting to hurt someone, he needs help but now he has prison hanging over him if he does it again he might get his act togeather.

Only Butch alone can do this, probably the hardest fight of his life as it readily available at every function he ever attends. Jimmy Greives is another alcoholic but dry, he has been dry for year upon years yet any event he attends alcohol is banned or he does not attend.

I wish you well Butch on your road to recovery, you have always come across as a decent chap as you would say?. 

I'm sorry to hear that. I've never experienced alcoholism so hard just judge on that count. 

I understand its an illness, but what I will never comprehend is how people in the spot light with so many opportunities and means of help continue to go back on the wagon, drink drive etc.

The repeat offender who has had access to professional help, stays in the priory etc don't want helped and don't want to change or improve.

They said last week that Wilkins pled guilty and admitted all charges against him, which is honourable but not when it's 2nd or 3rd time being caught driving when bladdered., its a token gesture to the judge.

8 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

Theres two types of drunk driver in my opinion. One who take the car to the pub, gets hammered then drives home. And one who has no intention of driving but gets pished then makes the mistake of driving, not fully conscious of his actions.  

The former is a cunt and sorry they got caught, the latter just daft and probably genuinely remorseful. 

He was seen swigging out of a bottle at the wheel ffs, he had both the intention of driving and getting pished whilst doing it. :D 

Regarding his addiction itself, I appreciate the battle he is fighting to overcome it. I have seen it with someone very close and sincerely hope there is a different outcome for Ray Wllkins, Gazza and anyone else in that position. 

Like others have posted I find it harder to sympathise when he has got behind the wheel of a car and endangered the lives of innocent people.

It's a lifetime. Just heard of a mate who had been dry for 8 year and is now drinking 2 bottles of vodka a day. That is just sad and it affects their whole family. Horrible illness and as I said it is a lifetime. 
Always remember growing up as kids in the 60's and saying the last thing I would want to be would be an Alky.
There but for the grace of God. 

3 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Remember that day well. Could hardly see a thing. Great player and I wish him all the best in trying to recover.