Backline looks more promising

In the past 4 games, I've noticed a good improvement with our backline. Although it's not been properly tested yet, it looks that they've had a telling off regarding positions. 

There was a good constant back line of 3 minimum and 4 at most times. Barton and Rossiter looks like the part in terms of CDM, it's just the thing we were missing last season was someone capable to stay back and just provide a bit of support. No offence to Halliday but he's too aggressive minded to do CDM work, Barton on the other hand just sits comfortably in the middle of the two Centrehalfs at the half way line and eases the ball to players. 

The fullbacks look to be doing a better job defensively too, again they've not been tested yet but the fact that the communication seems to be sorted in terms of 1 going forward and 1 staying behind seems to be down. I don't think I saw Tavernier/Hodson and Wallace both up the park. There was usually one holding back. 

So early stages but so far it looks like it's promising. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah so far so good but as you say we havent been stretched enough especially against the minnows to gauge how we will cope defensively. Motherwell caused us some concerns despite our dominant second half

It's about confidence Robbo. The back line will feel much more protected with Barton/Kranjcar or young Rossiter sitting in front of them. We now have defensive midfielders that we all hoped for for most of last season. 

Confidence is a huge part of a players psych. MW has added that with a bit of steel   

3 minutes ago, lewislaudrup said:

The first 20 mins against motherwell, the back line was no where to be seen

I wouldn't worry too much about that though, these games competitive as they are are acting as pre-season games. It was the lads second game since the SC final. 

But time will tell how well they cope with counters. The critical thing is is we need to get early goals so teams will have to come out and play rather than commit men behind the ball. 

6 minutes ago, lewislaudrup said:

The first 20 mins against motherwell, the back line was no where to be seen

This.

The backline can't possibly look better if it's not yet been tested...

When it was tested against Motherwell it looked shaky.

Let's wait and see who we can bring in, but hopefully Clint Hill can help to organise it a little better and stronger midfielders can anchor better than before.

yes and no. Other than the first half an hour away to Motherwell we weren't tested. We've had zero testing at the back since.

However, what I will say that agree's with you to an extent we rarely went 4 games in a row with clean sheets last season or at least 4 games we didn't look ropey wheras we look comfortable in these games. So yes and no. We still need a defence IMO.

We shouldn't be tested against the likes if Annan, East Stirling and Stranraer. Against Motherwell we were still shaky at the back and they are one of the weaker teams in the division.

I still have my doubts. Especially with Kiernan.

1 minute ago, GrandSuckMaster said:

You have noticed nothing. They have had little to nothing to do and the little, against Mwell, they were shite. You are just posting for the sake of posting and starting a thread as usual.

Hardly anyone mentions the defense. Other than "Kiernan/Wilson is shit" which ain't fair. That game against motherwell was our second since the SC final and was the same team as last season. 

The defense is untested but right now you can see something that looks to have improved in formation alone. Look at Forrester, he's have a nightmare of a time thenow. It's still preseason and the defense in my opinion looks to have improved on the sheer basis that the manpower as been allocated properly. IE a back line of 3, with a fullback on stand by. In contrast too last season when it was just 2 by themselves. 

7 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

yes and no. Other than the first half an hour away to Motherwell we weren't tested. We've had zero testing at the back since.

However, what I will say that agree's with you to an extent we rarely went 4 games in a row with clean sheets last season or at least 4 games we didn't look ropey wheras we look comfortable in these games. So yes and no. We still need a defence IMO.

Absolutely need another CB, Wilson and Kiernan although they likely improve under Hill are just too alike. 

Hill I don't see starting a whole bunch, so I would like a new CB paired with Wilson/Kiernan, with the latter in rotation. and the new one subbed with Hill every now and again. 

Although people are saying we have been untested against Annan, Stranraer and East Stirlingshire that doesn't mean it was impossible for them to get goals. We should've bossed the game vs alloa at home on the title day, yet they pierced the defense.

1 hour ago, RFCRobertson said:

Hardly anyone mentions the defense. Other than "Kiernan/Wilson is shit" which ain't fair. That game against motherwell was our second since the SC final and was the same team as last season. 

The defense is untested but right now you can see something that looks to have improved in formation alone. Look at Forrester, he's have a nightmare of a time thenow. It's still preseason and the defense in my opinion looks to have improved on the sheer basis that the manpower as been allocated properly. IE a back line of 3, with a fullback on stand by. In contrast too last season when it was just 2 by themselves. 

Tavernier's been slated multiple times, none more so than the contract stuff and the first half v Motherwell.

10 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Tavernier's been slated multiple times, none more so than the contract stuff and the first half v Motherwell.

Tav got it rough after the SC irc. Tav has the safety net of his goal tally though. The centrebacks don't have that. 

It's easy to look decent when you're playing the likes of Annan mate. The defence was lucky not to concede 2 or 3 goals in the first half against Motherwell, hopefully that was just a bit of rust but it was far from promising.

The jury's still out.

A defence that included Faure at RB, McCulloch, Mohsni went 4 and 5 games in a row without conceding against these types of teams. Sure it's a start but we'll see how it goes in the first 4/5 league games.