wes or gilks

wes or gilks  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who is ur first choice keeper

We are sure to see a fair bit of rotation this season, however there will be some who will remain in the first 11 every week; likes of wallace,  mckay, Waggy. 

What about the keeper situation? Who will be the number 1?  I note wes was given the number 1 is that a sign? 

I think Wes will be our starting GK, I imagine Gilks was brought in to provide more competition for Wes which will obviously improve his game and is good cover if Wes is injured. I reckon we'll see more of Gilks in cup competition than the league.

Wes without a doubt. Gilks is a good backup but we have to look to the future and Wes has the potential to be a great keeper imo. Gilks has also played onlu a handful of times in the past few years. I'd be surprised if he was brought in as anything other than backup, but hopefully he does push Wes to step up his game. 

How the fuck can anybody say Gilks should be our 'keeper in front of Wes, when in two games Gilks never had a save to make of any description, or was put under any pressure when the ball was at his feet?

We (along with our coaching staff) know exactly the strong points and flaws in Foderinghams' game, so it is up to Gilks to prove in training he is as good or better between the sticks to get a starting spot.

What Gilks will do is push Wes to be a better 'keeper, same as the other new signings will push guys like Tavernier, Wilson, Kiernan, Halliday,Holt etc to lift their standard of performance.

Competition is the key to players raising the bar in training, so I'll just let Messrs Warburton, Weir and Stewart decides who will start the games and who is on the bench.

Gilks for me tbh, he has played at a higher level than Wes, looks more comfartable with the ball at his feet, also looks to me to be more vocal. Gilks looks to be able to use both feet while wes, you can tell is pretty one foot. However havent really seen Gilks tested with any shots or much cross balls.

So I would give wes a half and gilks the other half or even give gilks the whole game against burnley because we know enough about Wes but gilks hasn't really been tested with anything.

The main reason I want to try gilks out is because Wes does have a good few mistakes in him, even in the motherwell game, he completely misjudged the flight of the ball which could have ended up in the back of the net but luckily stayed out.

Its all about opinions though I suppose!  

If anybody listened to Gilks post-match statement closely after his debut, it seems as if the decision has already been made. Gilks said; "The Gaffer has told us we will get a fair crack at it; play the same amount of games, which I'm fine with it and I'm sure Wes is fine with it"

Now either Gilks has misheard or misinterpreted what Warburton said, OR he is going to rotate his 'keepers over the season (Form, fitness or suspension permitting) much in the same way Ron Greenwood did with Peter Shilton and Ray Clemence for England. :pipe:

Big Wes for me , although Gilks being his cover is a lot more reassuring than the options we had last season . Good to see the big man coming well off his line on monday to catch a high free kick that was fired into the box in the first half . Apart from a few times at fir park , none of the defence has had too much to take care off .