When actions speak louder than words

D'Artagnan

“We acknowledge that a tiny minority of Rangers fans also encroached on the pitch but only after having been faced with prolonged and severe provocation and in order to protect our players and officials who were being visibly attacked in front of them. Any club’s supporters would have done the same. This distressing and deeply disturbing episode would never have happened had Hibs fans behaved properly but as they swarmed across the pitch it became immediately obvious that the security procedures were inadequate and had failed.”

This powerful and assertive paragraph from the Rangers club statement following the Scottish Cup Final now, alas, seems a world away. It appears Rangers have forgotten the mitigating circumstances they themselves cited, as several weeks on the same supporters the club defended in statement have now been subjected to an entirely different treatment courtesy of our club.

The letter below was sent out to one of our fans arrested in connection with the aftermath of the Scottish cup Final. As you can see it is in 2 parts – a kind of double whammy. The first part imposes an indefinite ban from attending both home and away matches as a consequence of being arrested at the Cup Final and thus bringing the name of the club into disrepute.

The 2nd part is dependent on the recipient of the letter being a season ticket holder (which he was) and thus his season ticket has now been forfeited, without compensation, for the alleged criminal conduct which gave rise to the arrest in Part 1.

There is nothing anywhere in the letter which offers any kind of caveat in relation to the pending court case, no suggestion that such action will be reviewed or reversed in the event of him being found not guilty or not proven at any future trial. Whatever happened to the “prolonged and severe provocation and in order to protect our players and officials who were being visibly attacked in front of them.”?

No-one is asking the club to defend the indefensible but is it really too much to allow due legal process to take its natural course? Could the club not have included the caveat in those letters that such decisions taken by the club would be subject to review in the light of the subsequent court hearings? Have the club considered how prejudicial to forthcoming legal proceedings such action may prove to be?

The particular irony in all of this is that the information which allowed Rangers to identify those charged with offences at Hampden most probably came from a football intelligence unit of Police Scotland. The same Police Scotland, some of whose members created a fictional, false and erroneous account of Rangers fans making barricades to prevent Police responding to the Hampden pitch invasion.

Actions speak louder than words, and the actions from our club in relation to the fans they once sought to defend by word, offer little to support the initial response to that post cup final statement - that as club, from the boardroom to the stands we are all in this fight together.

revoke.jpg

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a lot of the respect and adulation that I gace the board for their statement after the cup final has been lost by the actions that have followed.

Good thread D'art, hopefully you manage to get on the club1872 board and try to steer them to defend the fans in situations like this.

11 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Good thread D'art, hopefully you manage to get on the club1872 board and try to steer them to defend the fans in situations like this.

Cause god knows it's going to happen again. It's all nice and that saying "we'll be the bigger club/man" but they mentality doesn't swing in Scotland in the slightest. Be it in the playground or football club. 

We're talking about a country that shunned a young lad playing actual football and prefer to be hammer throwing nobodies. If they were as hard on us as they were on other source of media and clubs, then I imagine things would be different. 

22 minutes ago, gogzy said:

I think a lot of the respect and adulation that I gace the board for their statement after the cup final has been lost by the actions that have followed.

Gogzy

Could you sort the heading - my old laptop omitted the p in speak

PS cancel above - maybe Im not so technophobic after all !

I felt lifted and full of pride when our board issued that statement, even going as far as putting the boot into that wee horrible cave troll sturgeon, could honestly tell them to go fuck there selves right now, appalling treatment of supporters who as yet have been proven guilty of nothing 

I think after all we've been through as a club these last few years, that Rangers more than anyone should know how wrong it is to rush to judgement without any kind of a trial. Our "friends" at the sfa were wanting to strip titles and alsorts from us for fuckall, and now our club is doing the same to loyal fans who have stood by our club without the benefit of any evidence. I'ts a fucking disgrace for a board full of so called Rangers fans doing this, as I don;t know of one Rangers fan who agrees with this.

2 hours ago, D'Artagnan said:

“We acknowledge that a tiny minority of Rangers fans also encroached on the pitch but only after having been faced with prolonged and severe provocation and in order to protect our players and officials who were being visibly attacked in front of them. Any club’s supporters would have done the same. This distressing and deeply disturbing episode would never have happened had Hibs fans behaved properly but as they swarmed across the pitch it became immediately obvious that the security procedures were inadequate and had failed.”

This powerful and assertive paragraph from the Rangers club statement following the Scottish Cup Final now, alas, seems a world away. It appears Rangers have forgotten the mitigating circumstances they themselves cited, as several weeks on the same supporters the club defended in statement have now been subjected to an entirely different treatment courtesy of our club.

The letter below was sent out to one of our fans arrested in connection with the aftermath of the Scottish cup Final. As you can see it is in 2 parts – a kind of double whammy. The first part imposes an indefinite ban from attending both home and away matches as a consequence of being arrested at the Cup Final and thus bringing the name of the club into disrepute.

The 2nd part is dependent on the recipient of the letter being a season ticket holder (which he was) and thus his season ticket has now been forfeited, without compensation, for the alleged criminal conduct which gave rise to the arrest in Part 1.

There is nothing anywhere in the letter which offers any kind of caveat in relation to the pending court case, no suggestion that such action will be reviewed or reversed in the event of him being found not guilty or not proven at any future trial. Whatever happened to the “prolonged and severe provocation and in order to protect our players and officials who were being visibly attacked in front of them.”?

No-one is asking the club to defend the indefensible but is it really too much to allow due legal process to take its natural course? Could the club not have included the caveat in those letters that such decisions taken by the club would be subject to review in the light of the subsequent court hearings? Have the club considered how prejudicial to forthcoming legal proceedings such action may prove to be?

The particular irony in all of this is that the information which allowed Rangers to identify those charged with offences at Hampden most probably came from a football intelligence unit of Police Scotland. The same Police Scotland, some of whose members created a fictional, false and erroneous account of Rangers fans making barricades to prevent Police responding to the Hampden pitch invasion.

Actions speak louder than words, and the actions from our club in relation to the fans they once sought to defend by word, offer little to support the initial response to that post cup final statement - that as club, from the boardroom to the stands we are all in this fight together.

revoke.jpg

Is there a link to this article I can share on my fb Dart?

I actually said "thank fuck we've at last got a board who is willing to defend the fans" when the original statement was released. How gullible was I? Because their statement was a crock of shit.

They refuse to make a statement about the retail figures due to court proceeding but won't wait for the courts before shafting their own fans, but will wait just long enough to get their cash. Fucking boak

1 minute ago, thehost said:

that letter is nothing short of shocking. Nice to see the levels of contempt, for fans, is still strong in Argyle house.

It also shows what level of safety the head guy has for rangers fans. If he feels that allowing thugs free reign to invade Rangers fans then he isn't in the right job. The fans he is banning prevented a bad situation from getting a whole lot worse. If I had children I would not be allowing them near Ibrox until this is sorted. The contempt there showing is dangerous. 

1 minute ago, BF2 said:

Cowardice shitebag cunts. Whether they've turned the club around or not, this is a disgusting way to treat the fans. I'm guessing they'll re-sell the guy's seat and make double the money on it?

How have they even turned the Club around though?

They got lucky with Warburton, and he won the Championshipne not the Champions league.

Apart from that they've put up some posters and got Snapchat and some other "minor cosmetic" upgrades. And what else? Oh aye, called the DR courageous, lied about a NOMAD, gave some loans to us same as the old board and banned some fans after backing them.

The team has improved yes. Apart from that the board have done a good job at polishing shite from what I can see.

1 minute ago, Willis said:

How have they even turned the Club around though?

They got lucky with Warburton, and he won the Championshipne not the Champions league.

Apart from that they've put up some posters and got Snapchat and some other "minor cosmetic" upgrades. And what else? Oh aye, called the DR courageous, lied about a NOMAD, gave some loans to us same as the old board and banned some fans after backing them.

The team has improved yes. Apart from that the board have done a good job at polishing shite from what I can see.

If you look at where we are now compared to when they took over from the previous shambolic board, both on the pitch and financially, it would be harsh to deny them credit. I also think Warburton was an excellent appointment, they could've went with the easy option and got McCall in.

But at the end of the day the fans come before anything else, and they've shown that their backing of the fans after the cup final riot was either a crock of lies or they've went back on their word. My opinion of the board has changed drastically. I too thought at first that the fans finally have some backing, but it appears it's still us versus the rest of Scottish football.

3 hours ago, gogzy said:

I got shot down for moaning all week about it not being enough .

It now seems pretty hollow now 

Not to worry, our 'friends' in the SFA will see we're OK and treated well.

Just have to watch out for our own board it would seem.

It's becoming more and more dangerous just to support Rangers these days and one way or another, the bid to kill us off is still on.