• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ION

BY JONATHAN MCFARLANE

Rangers Record FC: It is time to put tribal allegiance to one side and condemn thugs after Hampden shame

17:45, 28 JUL 2016

UPDATED 17:47, 28 JUL 2016

BY JONATHAN MCFARLANE

OUR Ibrox blogger goes to town on the fans that fought on the pitch in the aftermath of Hibs' 3-2 Scottish Cup final triumph.

Police Horses on the pitch after the William Hill Scottish Cup Final

AS we look back with cool heads on a day of intense emotion after a tumultuous Scottish Cup Final, a sense of perspective should loom large in our thoughts.

In a week that has seen fans soberly opening letters from the club’s Head of Security David Martin starkly informing them of an indefinite ban from home and away matches, perhaps it’s time to properly reflect on the events of that day.

Many have already taken to social media in condemnation of the clubs action. I cannot join them.

Supporting a football club is not an intellectual exercise, it can’t really be defined by logic or reason, it’s something that’s simply felt (and felt deeply). We care about our clubs in a way that goes beyond what makes sense to those that don’t follow the game, or probably, our own rational analysis.

Reuters

Rangers' Kenny Miller makes his way off as bedlam erupts

We continue because ultimately, belonging is a wonderful thing, perhaps the strongest facet of the human experience.

Sometimes though, you have to put your tribal allegiances aside and allow the logic and rational parts of your brain to function. Put simply, in the name of ‘support’ you cannot defend the indefensible.

Yet that’s what many have been doing, finding ways to justify the actions of a minority of Rangers fans who responded idiotically and dangerously to Hibs fans provocation.

READ MORE

Rangers fans arrested at Scottish Cup Final are handed indefinite bans by Ibrox club

Simply, those who invaded the pitch that day at Hampden have no place attending games anymore.

Their day of empty masculinity expressed through the prism of stale Tennents and revolting,caffeinated Tonic Wine has come and gone. They shame us all.

The club themselves are not exempt from blame in this regard. The statement released after the game was rabble-rousing in the extreme, taking pot-shots at everyone from journalists to the First Minister.

Getty Images

Hibs and Rangers fans fight as they invade the pitch

It was an angry reaction to a problem that required cool reflection and a clear and cynical attempt to capture the mood rather than take a position of clear leadership.

In it, the club said correctly that the fans had been extremely provoked but in stating ‘any supporters would have done the same’ they have plunged themselves into a very deep moral vortex.

What are we to believe? The actions of the club, or the statement? Even more pressingly, does the left hand even know what the right hand is doing?

The fans, who have had season tickets revoked indefinitely, have been told that their arrest is a breach of the ‘ground rules and regulations’ and ‘brings the reputation of the club into disrepute’.

Of course they have the right to due process, and the letters have been rightly criticised by some for not having a process of appeal explained within the letter.

Rangers' Rob Kiernan is held back by Rangers security chief David Martin

I would be astonished if the club hadn’t already collected evidence of wrongdoing prior to sending these letters and this tactic isn’t just the most straight-forward legal way to invalidate their ability to attend matches.

The problem with these arguments, valid as they are, is that they focus attention away from the core issue which is that of dealing with bad behaviour within our own ranks. There are a million and one reasons why Hibs fans were out of order in this instance but that does not fall within our zone of influence.

READ MORE

Rangers boss Mark Warburton laughs off rumours about Robin van Persie

What does is the behaviour of those around us and ensuring that guys who don’t meet the club’s high standards are removed accordingly.

In a globalised world where the club is competing frantically for the affections of future generations, Rangers cannot afford to allow their good name tarnished or individuals with a propensity for bad behaviour to attend games and cause problems that drag us all through the gutter.

They must be dealt with.

A violent Rangers fan is still a violent individual, and violent individuals have no place in our society, no matter what scarf he wears.

I'm not even surprised. The fat greasy specky YES voting munter said something similar after the George Square violence too.

He's a fat gimp. It's people like him that have no place as a Rangers fan.

I have never seen him at any Rangers related function, bus, meeting or indeed a game (that I've seen)

If I ever seen him I'd love to slap the specks right off him and just say "oh well I guess you're right there's violent Rangers fans out there afterall what de ye know"

The Daily Record know exactly what they're doing having fat retards like him write the blogs in the name of Rangers.

Cunt of the highest order.