So what did that friendly tell you?

KeyserSoze

Nothing new really, all of our faults have been painstakingly evident for months now. We simply cannot defend against fast pacey direct strikers and we are so disorganised defensively, it's not just the two center backs either. Burnley are a step above what we will meet in the SPFL however so I don't think it's entirely doom and gloom. Really poor performance overall and probably the worst of the Warburton era, thank fuck it was a friendly. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to disagree with much of what's already been said.  

It also showed why MW was not happy with the pre season set up. We needed incrimental enhancements to standard of opposition rather then the two previous games.  We were nowhere near ready for that step up today.  Glamorous they might not be but Burnley are a very well organised outfit.

Never like losing however that may do us good in the long run...or indeed the short term.  Next week.

Defence is a genuine concern  

Friendly game patter aside...the scum didnt get pumped by Leicester last week in their friendly. The game before a season starts has got to be a confidence booster. The players and gaffer all actively look at social media so they will hardly read anything positive. MW needs to be brave enough to change it.

I would still like to know what davie weir brings to the table? As a former central defender surely he should have improved our piss poor defending after 1 year in charge and Clint Hill will make Wilson look like a superstar. Build a team round Rossiter and we will have a chance. Last dozen games of last season and all games this season have been piss poor but Warburton appears to be blinkered to our weaknesses,forget about Stranraer ect and we have leaked goals at an alarming rate,and Motherwell could have scored 6 also. 

Just now, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Wilson is probably our best CB.

You are probably right but he will fuck up too. None of that back line have any quality defending and its been blatantly obvious for ages.

Sure we can hump part time teams. That team today was not a great side but made us look amateurs.

We play that back line all year and we are winning nothing. And how the fuck Warburton thought it was a good idea to increase that donkeys contract just baffles me.

23 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Miller's looks finished.  Kranjcar is far from being match fit or match sharp.  We desperately need a right-sided CB to replace Keirnan.  We need to figure out what our best midfield 3.

I would say Miller bust his gut last 2 months of last season .He was one of our best players .He is older now and his body may take some time to get going for the season after the Summer break .

Every confidence in him 

Didn't see the game so I'm relying on the reports and you guy's comments.

While I won't lose any sleep over the result in a friendly it isn't great to hear that the defence still looks awful.

Something that could cost us the championship if not properly addressed before the window slams shut.

3 minutes ago, Dickie said:

I would still like to know what davie weir brings to the table? As a former central defender surely he should have improved our piss poor defending after 1 year in charge and Clint Hill will make Wilson look like a superstar. Build a team round Rossiter and we will have a chance. Last dozen games of last season and all games this season have been piss poor but Warburton appears to be blinkered to our weaknesses,forget about Stranraer ect and we have leaked goals at an alarming rate,and Motherwell could have scored 6 also. 

Im assuming Weir makes sure Warburton's instructions are followed. Thats usually the role of an assistant. I think its wrong to think of Weir having any special role in coaching the defence. He may put a bit more time into instructing the cb's but I dont think its his role to "sort out the defence".

9 minutes ago, markem said:

Hard to disagree with much of what's already been said.  

It also showed why MW was not happy with the pre season set up. We needed incrimental enhancements to standard of opposition rather then the two previous games.  We were nowhere near ready for that step up today.  Glamorous they might not be but Burnley are a very well organised outfit.

Never like losing however that may do us good in the long run...or indeed the short term.  Next week.

Defence is a genuine concern  

I wish MW would stop mumping on about the LC being a disruption to pre season. Rangers could have avoided it all if they prepared and applied to themselves properly during the last part of the season, instead of the shockingly lacklustre performances after the cup semi. Where, once again the defence was mainly at fault.

Today shows you money counts in football, they have one player that would cost more than our team but it also didn't tell us anything most of us have been admitting in here....the defence is nowhere near good enough and has not seen improvement despite fans being well aware of it for months. We struggle against savvy teams who can sit in, keep their shape and have pace and someone with an eye for goal up top. The amount of times I've seen us with 60odd % possession and yet concede goals to a team that has 2/3 chances is worrying.

I would caveat all that by saying Hearts and Aberdeen weren't far off the top last season with a squad of players that can't rival ours, we're not that far off and should be THE main challengers without question as a minimum so there's no need for huge panic. We shouldn't be over-confident at all but we should beat Hamilton in front of a sell out Ibrox next weekend. If we can't, RM should be shut down until Monday morning 

22 minutes ago, JockyWilsonspants said:

Im assuming Weir makes sure Warburton's instructions are followed. Thats usually the role of an assistant. I think its wrong to think of Weir having any special role in coaching the defence. He may put a bit more time into instructing the cb's but I dont think its his role to "sort out the defence".

So are you saying that weir has no imput in what goes on and quite happily goes along with what is jokingly called a Rangers defence???

To be honest, it didn't tell us anything we already don't know. Our defence remains a very weak link against mediocre teams, yes, Burnley are a good side and we will probably not come up against that opposition this season, however, even against the other sides we have played pre season we are very vulnerable at the back. MW and DW will see it and just need a bit more time to find affordable replacements.