Kenny Miller

rfc1990

Surprised he started today as we were never going to learn anything new about him in this type of game.

Should have gone for MOH or Dodoo from the start and given them a chance to see what they can do.

Miller still has a part to play this season but it's time for the younger guys to get a chance most weeks.

It's a funny old game. I was impressed with him last season... even in the last few games where we underperformed. And I was disappointed with MOH.

So far in pre season Iv been very impressed with MOH and disappointed in Miller as his finishing has been off the boil. He is still a worker but should maybe make a pass to our slightly better attackers. But as season progresses I think he will be more than adequate against SPL teams who wont pack 10 men in box nor be of Burnley quality.

Problem today was it was a game where we were forced into a 4-5-1 formation in first half at some points with Miller playing headless chicken lone striker role of yesteryear.

I am still willing to give him benefit of the doubt as he gave 100% last season when others did not and I respect that. 

Kenny has never been an out and out striker, but he sure as hell puts a lot of work and effort into his game; He looks fit and although he hasn't got the same burst of speed to get him away from a fast defender his sense of positioning still makes him an asset in the team.I can't see him playing as many minutes as he did last season, but Warburton seems happy enough to play him central and Waghorn wide right.

Imo we would have been fucked without Kenny the last 2-3 months of last season. Yes he is old but he is still covering so much ground, not just as a striker but everywhere and reads the game well. He hasn't been great yet this season and I don't really expect many starts but I would take him above a few of the other younger  players in our team.  Don't write him off because I really believe he will prove you wrong again when it counts. 

I felt somewhat as a minority at the time wanting Kenny to return but not Boyd but after his season under Ally I have to say I was surprised at just what he did for us last season.

I think he did more than enough to show he's not finished at the level of Scottish football we see today, the question is rather how best to use him.

Do we start with the allrounder of Waghorn in the CF/striker role with say Mckay out left and Forrester on the right? Then sub Waghorn with Miller around 60 minutes in, releasing him against tired legs? He has a habit of turning up in the big games. We have options frankly and I think the safest thing to do is to rotate the squad so that they are all playing in the system and sharing the workload over the season so that no one burns out, gets injured or goes stale on the sidelines.

CB is the one area where we don't have yet have genuine competition and therefore I'm not worried about Miller, I'm worried about Wilson and Kiernan be the best we have come the transfer window shutting ( I don't think that will happen as it would shatter optimism and a credible title challenge in the eyes of the support ). 

I think with a little more directness/pace in our attack Miller would be just one of the whole group of attacking players who would benefit from the service and potentially do far more than we would be likely to expect. He's not a 90 minutes man anymore but he's still got aspects about him that we quite frankly cannot afford and he'd be a leading light elsewhere in the division let's not forget.

I don't think Kenny will take not playing laying down and with Waghorn, O'Halloran, Dodoo all vying for potentially one position along with himself and maybe another new signing, he along with everyone else will be doing their best to feature as often as possible and in this sense he'll either produce or slip down the pecking order so I'm not concerned about him 'not doing it' because as well as having that confidence that he can still do a job, I fear not him failing to do so because we have alternatives should that become the reality.

I know that from watching the team thus far Miller seemed to fluff his lines in the league cup and piss away chances he's have been on to like a whippet in the past but I think if you look at the team as a whole, there are numerous players who just aren't at the races yet, Hill is not yet on the train to put it mildly - he honestly looks like he's done at this point, Barton is yet to shine, Kranjcar looks like his career suggests (talented but of a fitness/sharpness that explains why he's made about 20 appearances for the each of the last 6 years before ending up in the America alternative league to the MLS), while being unfair Crooks injury has meant he can't possibly be up to speed, the CB's are playing at their level but clearly aren't up to the job ahead etc. etc. None of this means that they can't or won't play an important part to our betterment this season but it does mean you can say "The team as a whole aren't up to speed with fitness/match sharpness" and that in turn means that despite winning all of our competitive games thus far, we can and most likely will get better.

In the past our team was an expensive collection of highly talented individuals and losing one for a few weeks was a disaster, I think this team is about having a system and interchangeable parts that create a winning and forward moving train that is a sum of its parts. Rossiter and Dodoo are just the like the boy Thompson in respect that they may not have signed as first team players but there's a potential there for them to feature over the course of the season, develop, and contribute in a fashion that leads to our success, a future team foundation/plan and a nice sell on fee into the bargain. Competition and depth are here this season that means someone downing tools or going off the boil aren't as catastrophic as perhaps it would have been last season. It's all very encouraging for what we've spent and I've every optimism that with a much better CB being brought in and a few creases being ironed out that we'll push for the title more than Aberdeen did last year and they were comfortably ahead of Hearts in 3rd place by the end. That's not even including the suggestion of another forward coming in that would strengthen our case for a title bid (my personal view is someone of height that scores headers and who can muscle a yard of space against 6 foot 2" CB's and god knows how many zonal markers, would be ideal).  

14 hours ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

If I've learned anything over the years it's not to write Kenny off, take heed.

I wouldn't write him off, but he's been very ineffectual so far this year. 

Wouldn't be a starter for me given the other options. 

MEANINGLESS pre season match. Nothing more than messing about with players and fitness. Dont give a shit if you beat Barca 10-0 preseason, means nothing if you lose to Hamilton. 

The tests have been league cup so far and we know where the issues are and new players starting to settle well. Get a grip those judging players on preseason games and form