Puma statement from FF

Smile

6 hours ago, BF2 said:

And PUMA calling the board's statement a lie?

It does call it into question we all know this board can make a statement then change tact when it doesn't suit them anymore, the  Cup fiasco statement taught us that.

5 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

From the Rangers statement yesterday...."the Club has made its best efforts to engage with PUMA on an agreed way forward without the involvement of Sports Direct for the manufacture of replica kits and other merchandise to supporters."

No doubt Puma feels it is in the middle and just wants to sell strips without getting entangled in the Rangers / SD wrangle.   Understandable up to a point but the fact is they are inextricably involved whether they like it or not.   As I see it Rangers wanted to discuss ways of distributing the kit by avoiding or reducing distribution through SD.   That would indicate that SD does not have exclusive rights or some sort of minimum volume to retail the strip.     So the enquiry by Rangers to explore alternative distribution seems on the immediate face of it to be reasonable.  What is not reasonable, or acceptable commercial behaviour from Puma, is to refuse to engage with Rangers on this.    By sitting on the fence, not engaging with Rangers (or communicating properly or fully with them) but responding to a request from SD to supply strips simply indicates that Puma is narrowly only out to look after its own money-making interests.    If that's the gist of it then perhaps no surprise to see the Rangers testy statement.

Would also be no surprise if Rangers make it clear that they will look to switch to a different replica kit supplier asap with it being clear to Puma that their refusal to engage properly has put them beyond the realm of being a business partner that Rangers will engage with once the contract ends.   I suppose that's no real loss to Puma .......but they should not underestimate the reputational damage a squabble like this can cause their business if it builds in froth in the media and festers for a while.   In his strategy to gain control of Rangers DK demonstrated quite an ability to create froth and keep to keep it in pretty constantly visible in the media.

As an aside I wonder if its a contractual requirement between Rangers / SD and Puma that when TV interviews are given that there is a backcloth showing Puma, SD and 32 Red logos.   Wonder if that could be removed and replaced with a Rangers backcloth?     

Taking on PUMA makes is look like cunts.

The issue is fuck all to do with Puma, its between us and Ashley/SD, we have a contract with Puma, and why should Puma take our fight on? We can ask Puma to not sell them but its completely within their right to do so and they have no real reason to take a loss. On top of that their deals with SD are probs worth a lot more than their deals with us.

I agree we shouldn't buy tops but we shouldn't start making it out like its Pumas fault playing the victim etc, just makes us look petty.

The deal might be shite but at the end of the day bid rather a shit deal for a few years wheb everyone can see were being mistreated, than a shit deal for a few years where we rant and make cunts of ourselves and alienate any other retailers

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

It does call it into question we all know this board can make a statement then change tact when it doesn't suit them anymore, the  Cup fiasco statement taught us that.

I'm just beginning to see how selfish this board are. It was nice while it lasted I suppose.

9 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

i think it clears a lot up, PUMA have basically said they can release the kits based on a deal they have with RRL (who we are a part of)

Cannot see how the club will stop this now

Having not fully kept up with the story mainly because it doesn't affect me personally; the part I have underlined is what confuses me as Rangers seem to be a mish-mash of different boards,companies and structures these days.

Back in my day it seemed to be so much easier to understand as we were simply; The Rangers. :pipe:

I yearn for those bygone years, well the 1970's, when I had no clue what the club earned from every replica shirt I purchased. 

Even during the 1990's I never knew, until the JJB Sports deal was announced, what sort of money the club was making. Every December I was ordering 3 shirts as Xmas presents for me and the kids, usually 2nd, or 3rd strip, directly from Rangers Superstore, either online, or by phone. I did that because Mr Murray said that ALL the profits from the sale of shirts, would go into financing new players etc.

I also seem to remember, from the 1960's, getting a birthday present of a blue top, the same as Rangers wore, but the club crest came separately, which my mum sewed onto the top. Was it a real Rangers top? I've no idea, and I didn't care, because in my little 5 year old mind, I was wearing the colours of my heroes...

9 hours ago, ex-guardsman said:

Exactly and I feel utterly like a cunt that he fooled me and now after we all pulled together that wee fucker is still affecting us that we cannot even buy a home top which I think is fucking outstanding and is breaking me not getting it but want to support our club. 

And he's back in his french chateau living the good life and off scot free.

16 hours ago, BF2 said:

I may be reading this wrong but isn't that PUMA contradicting the statement made by the club yesterday, and saying that the club were aware of the details of the kits release all along?

Thats exactly it , our statement is full of crap.

Ours says we tried to negotiate with PUMA AFTER the IP deal was canceled. And we had no idea SD had ordered strips......complete and utter lies.