New kit middle of season

32 minutes ago, bluenose244 said:

I think they need to choose their battles wisely, do we really want to go to war with Puma/32 Red AND Sports Direct have we not had enough court cases?

Once the "loan"  was paid back to MA we got our image rights and intellectual property rights back.  My understanding is that the club have not given anyone the right to distribute our emblems,  titles or other such copyrighted property.  Puma make the strips but ultimately we own the right to them and if we haven't given permission to distribute them then that's breech of contract,  please correct me if I'm wrong.  

This is from the stv website 18th May :

The Ibrox side have terminated an intellectual property agreement with Rangers Retail Limited, a joint venture company between the club and Mike Ashley's business.

Under the terms of the deal, which Rangers are tied to for a further seven years as they serve a notice period, Sports Direct receive the lion's share of revenue generated through retail sales of club-branded goods.

The move, in theory, will continue to allow Sports Direct to exclusively sell goods manufactured by Rangers Retail Limited.

But with Rangers now the sole holders of the copyright, the products won't be able to carry club trademarks.

In a statement, the club said: "Rangers Football Club Limited has today served notice on Rangers Retail Limited terminating the IP Licence and Rights Agreement with that company with immediate effect.

"The club now needs to speak to its commercial partners to agree the next steps flowing from the termination and will make no further comment on this matter whilst discussions are ongoing.

"The club will endeavour to communicate further with its supporters and customers for Rangers kit and other Rangers products as soon as it is in a position to do so."

Records at the Intellectual Property Office already show all trademarks have been returned to the club.

Accounts for the last year of trading by Rangers Retail Limited are currently overdue at Companies House. Financial figures for the year ending April 30, 2015 were due on January 31 this year.

Sports Direct were unavailable for comment when contacted by STV.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BRITNEY IS NOT FEELING IT said:

Fuck knows gogzy , My 6 year old nephew would have more of a clue than me for that 

Don't you reckon that it would be standard practise to have some sort of exclusivity claue tied into the contract?

I obviously know next to nothing about retail and company contracts, but it just makes common sense to me to have something in there.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I honestly don't see how sponsors would be jumping at the chance mate. OK we sell a lot of strips but they don't have the emotional ties to the club we do and must be thinking why give us decent money, if, when they decide there's parts of the contract they don't like or think they're not getting a good enough deal they just bring out another strip half way through a season with a different supplier.

I think we know fine well we are contractually bound for the next few years with the Sports Direct deal and are just getting desperate hoping fat Mike just gives up or something - while the club will suffer in future because of it. It wreaks of desperation to me and makes us look like a laughing stock.

If the club have some legal leverage then use it. Do it right behind the scenes and stop the circus.

Then again maybe they like the cricus as it gets them off the hook for failed investment promises and treating the Cup Final fans like shite if everyones rabble rousing and forming lynch mobs again on social media because it's new strip time. All very handy for the ones in charge, must admit.

Aye the limbo definitely has went against us, the circus should have been stopped you're right, I would hope the companies see the benefits to a partnership which is mutually agreed in all interests and not the supposed one way one which was agreed by green when he was desperate for money when starting up

The board have a move to make, and it really does need to be the right one this time, a half season new strip strikes me as amateur in all honesty, who the fuck is giving them legal advice??

4 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Would we be able to do that while still tied into our current retail deal?

With all the mentioning of Under Armour  does this mean a deal has already been done and with consultation of the fans group.  I am asking that with the board mentioning PUMA and fans groups in their statement.   How long does it take to design, make a deal, and then produce a strip?

17 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

and that would be the level of kit manufacturer we would get going forward for the foreseeable as no-one decent would touch us pulling these stupid stunts.

It's exactly like the TV deal we talked about the other day on here - when we voted in Setanta out of principle short term because it was a so-called "fairer" deal then struggle to attract a proper deal and promote our product for years, maybe even decades afterwards.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I wish all this shite would stop. We are what 1 year into a 5 year termination deal with the Sports Direct side of the retail? unless there's a legal way of getting out of it I'd prefer it if we sucked it up (so to speak) and maintained our principles because it will put us in a lot better stead when negotiating with our next kit supplier and will benefit us a lot more medium-long term.

What's wrong with under-armour as a kit manufacturer?

Have you seen their client list across all sports?

5 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

What's wrong with under-armour as a kit manufacturer?

Have you seen their client list across all sports?

Show me their list across the football world compared to the premium 2 brands Nike or Adidas (which is the level of partnership we should be aiming for)

4 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

Will this be Rangers angle:

Release new strips, new manufacturer with the RIGHT to use trademarks

Take action on Puma/SD for using them?

Cant see us bringing a new strip out though, what a head fuck

It certainly looks as if they will be one of a kind, that is for sure. :pipe:

2 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Well done to the board.  An added bonus is everyone who went out and bought a strip today have wasted their money.  In future back the board and don't attempt to undermine them (tu)

I'm a fan of yours mate, but you are mistaken if you think anyone who bought a strip today was trying to undermine the board or have any political motive in doing so, and it certainly wasn't a waste of money

1 minute ago, A.T.G said:

I'm a fan of yours mate, but you are mistaken if you think anyone who bought a strip today was trying to undermine the board or have any political motive in doing so, and it certainly wasn't a waste of money

Most people just go to the football don't care about all the board politics and just care about the team on the park.

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Show me their list across the football world compared to the premium 2 brands Nike or Adidas (which is the level of partnership we should be aiming for)

Well the second best team last season  in The most viewed league in the world wear under armour..

I'd rather we went for the partnership that offered us the best all round package, Not go for Nike or Adidas just because they are perceived to be premium brands.

I'd hope that with the level of clientele they have, we could start seeing our strips for sale in America etc.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

Well the second best team in The most viewed league in the world wear under armour..

I'd rather we went for the partnership that offered us the best all round package, Not go for Nike or Adidas just because they are perceived to be premium brands.

I'd hope that with the level of clientele they have, we could start seeing our strips for sale in America etc.

1 team then?

I also hope for the best deal and generally when Nike or Adidas are involved it's good money. That's my point. Every single deal the taigs have had in succession with Nike has been "the biggest yet"

2 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Well the second best team in The most viewed league in the world wear under armour..

Barca? Is that who makes that strip? I thought it was a fake when I seen it :lol:

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

1 team then?

I also hope for the best deal and generally when Nike or Adidas are involved it's good money. That's my point. Every single deal the taigs have had in succession with Nike has been "the biggest yet"

So why did that mob leave Nike to go to New Balance?

Spurs and Southampton in EPL wear UA.

2 of Britains most famous  sportsmen(Andy Murray and ANthony Joshua) wear UA.

I'd hope they'd see us as someone who can raise their profile in the football world (tu)