Jordan Thompson

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are delighted to confirm two loan transactions have been completed this afternoon. Firstly, arriving at Stark's Park on a Development Loan until January, is 19 year old Rangers attacking midfielder Jordan Thompson. Jordan was previously on the books of Manchester United as a youth player and the Ibrox club was very happy to win the race for his signature last summer.

The Northern Ireland Under 19 player is very highly regarded by the Ibrox management team, and his progress to becoming a member of the Premiership side's first team squad is clear evidence that he is seen by Mark Warburton and David Weir as a potential emerging star.

Manager Gary Locke has been pursuing this final piece of the jigsaw for this season's squad for some time and is very pleased to finally get his man. "Jordan is an exciting young talent and I'm really delighted that Rangers have agreed to this deal, as I'm sure he will prove to be a real handful for our opponents."

Meanwhile, moving in the other direction is promising Rovers central defender David Bates (also 19) who joins Rangers' Development Squad for the same period. This is an excellent opportunity for him to further develop his skills in the highly competitive environment of the Premiership side's Under 20s. Gaffer Locke commented, "I'm really pleased that young David is getting this opportunity. It's his big chance to prove how good he can be, and I will be getting reports from Mark and David on how he is performing."

https://www.facebook.com/raithroversfc/

3 minutes ago, lazza1873 said:

Surely the next 6 months playing competitive football would be better than sitting in our u20s.

Hope Jordan kicks on.

Then he can go on another loan until the end of the season.

Rinse and repeat until he leaves.

22 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

Warburton doesn't use the loan market like that, he understands how useful it can be in terms of promoting youth players.

He has so far.

Loan back binned or loan back loan back binned.

Not his or the clubs fault but trying to bring through youngsters for our level in Scottish football is like pissing in the wind 90% of the time.

We will see how many players get promoted to the first team in the next year or 2.

36 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Then he can go on another loan until the end of the season.

Rinse and repeat until he leaves.

Is it more beneficial for his development to sit on the bench behind Kranjcar, Barton, Rossiter, Halliday, Holt, Windass, and Crooks?

5 minutes ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

Any examples?

Well he has said himself he is a big fan of the loan market, and doesn't see the benefit of young players sitting in our U20's. If he wanted rid of them he would do what he done with Gallagher last summer and Bell this summer albeit an older player. I don't know exactly what players Brentford used but he was there for 18 months, its not as if he had time to promote players after loan spells there. Are there any examples of him loaning a player out then releasing them?

I don't think this is that strange or a bad idea actually. In fact it's a good idea. Our under 20's team needs improving as most of the top talents go out on loan - get some talent back in to help the team develop a winning mentality and then the loan player goes back to Raith a better player for using our facilities and seeing our methods.

Think it's a pretty genuis method to use if it's a style we are adopting.

10 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

Well he has said himself he is a big fan of the loan market, and doesn't see the benefit of young players sitting in our U20's. If he wanted rid of them he would do what he done with Gallagher last summer and Bell this summer albeit an older player. I don't know exactly what players Brentford used but he was there for 18 months, its not as if he had time to promote players after loan spells there. Are there any examples of him loaning a player out then releasing them?

Examples or not what you are describing is what he has said about the loan market and how it can work effectively.  Had any of those lads who went out last year cam back ready they would be in our squad - will they make it? who knows however he is attempting to utilise the market in this way. 

I hope there is a future for Jordan at our club - like anyone else he has to meet the grade.

11 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I don't think this is that strange or a bad idea actually. In fact it's a good idea. Our under 20's team needs improving as most of the top talents go out on loan - get some talent back in to help the team develop a winning mentality and then the loan player goes back to Raith a better player for using our facilities and seeing our methods.

Exactly - or if they impressive significantly, we move to keep them.  Gives us a pro-longed close up look at a youngster without committing.

12 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Is it more beneficial for his development to sit on the bench behind Kranjcar, Barton, Rossiter, Halliday, Holt, Windass, and Crooks?

It's beneficial for him to get games. Will it benefit us? IMO no. Do you think he will displace any of the names mentioned after his loan?

Just now, MasterD said:

It's beneficial for him to get games. Will it benefit us? IMO no. Do you think he will displace any of the names mentioned after his loan?

Exactly, it's beneficial for him to get games, which he currently won't get at Rangers. So he has to go on loan for game time. Who knows? That's the whole point in the loan process.

26 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

So were now a development side for shitty teams like Raith? Awesome.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So were now a development side for shitty teams like Raith? Awesome.

You've excelled yourself.

I was posting something in another thread and got the alert you quoted me and thought "that can't be him disagreeing with me on the comment I left in that thread"

Meh.

I don't mean it like developing other teams youngsters. I don't think the club will see it that way either. I think it's more a case of getting something in return to actually get our U20's on track winning-wise while our player is out getting game time.

I'm not a fan of sending our players out to teams like Raith and St Mirren and Airdrie. I think they learn more working with Warburton and the first team at our facilities like Auchenhowie but that's a different debate. I just think if we are giving all our talent away to help boost other teams, it's good to get something back in to boost our under 20's ... if he goes back to Raith a better player then again, meh, he's done what we needed for our under 20's first and foremost and that's just a wee bonus for them.

34 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

Halkett & Gasparatto.

If we have any sense Crawford, Murdoch, Sinnamon should be joining them.