*** Official Rio Olympics 2016 Thread ***

Not seen another thread so thought I'd make one. Opening ceremony kicks off tonight and should hopefully be a cracking 2 and a half weeks of sport.

What's everyone looking forward to? Personally its Athletics for me. Being quite heavily involved in the sport myself its always great to see what the last 4 years of build up will bring on the biggest stage of them all. Massive Scottish representation particularly in the middle and long distance events (the best events ?) and could be a fair few success stories there. Laura Muir in the 1500m is the one to watch imo and is in a great shout of a medal, possibly even Gold given how her season is going.

Fingers crossed its a fantastic games and all drug, venue and virus controversies are kept to a bare minimum!

1 hour ago, Shetland Bear said:

Not seen another thread so thought I'd make one. Opening ceremony kicks off tonight and should hopefully be a cracking 2 and a half weeks of sport.

What's everyone looking forward to? Personally its Athletics for me. Being quite heavily involved in the sport myself its always great to see what the last 4 years of build up will bring on the biggest stage of them all. Massive Scottish representation particularly in the middle and long distance events (the best events ?) and could be a fair few success stories there. Laura Muir in the 1500m is the one to watch imo and is in a great shout of a medal, possibly even Gold given how her season is going.

Fingers crossed its a fantastic games and all drug, venue and virus controversies are kept to a bare minimum!

Hope you're rightĀ about Muir would love to see her get a medal,

I don't think I would be competing if I were a competitorĀ :disappointment:

Competitors taking part in some of the aquatic events at the Rio Olympics next month have been warned not to open their mouths to avoid catching serious illnesses from the polluted water.Ā 

Health experts warned Olympic marathon swimmers, sailors and windsurfers competing in Rio's Guanabara Bay - where a body was found floating in the lead up to the Games - to be ultra careful as the waters are much more contaminated than was previously thought, theĀ Sydney Morning HeraldĀ reports.

It has been claimed that organisers' efforts to treat the raw sewage and clean up household debris in Guanabara Bay has fallen well short despite recent efforts to clean the area up.Ā Marina da GlĆ³ria in Guanabara Bay is the site of the windsurfing and sailing events, while the marathon swimming and triathlon competitions are at Copacabana Beach at the mouth of the bay.Ā 

If you're willing to have a bit of a sift through the many manyĀ events taking place you can get yourself a decent accumulator just picking (in theory) the most obvious short priced favourites. It's obviously not always as simple as that but defo some value out there. Not actually done anything myself but seen a few that I could add to an Olympic accumulator, with a few footy bets thrown in!

3 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Nigeria 5-4 Japan and the Sweden 2-2 Colombia were good games. Brazil are usually pish these days at any level. Germany second half was very good.

Brazil have never won Olympic gold, which is odd, given their success at Workd Cup level.