Chequebook oot King

GOAT

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'More than competitive'.   That was the words of MW earlier in the week.  1-1 against Hamilton at home with a performance (predictably) lacking in sufficient goal scoring threat and (predictably) weak defensively is nowhere near a level that could even remotely be regarded as 'more than competitive'.  

MW has either kidded himself into thinking the names stood before him on the training pitch somehow collectively assemble to genuinely become a 'more than competitive' winning squad, or he is masking financial reality of there being insufficient dosh from the Board to improve on it and is therefore engaged in a media attempt to talk up the quality of the squad.   1-1 against Hamilton at home risks producing mirth at any notion of this squad producing an end of season assessment of a 'more than competitive' report card.   Why - on the basis of today - does MW think what he has is sufficient to be more than competitive?   What evidence is on show to back that assertion up?   Losing 2 points is not evidence, and neither is the % of possession or number of shots at goal.  

Goals win games.    We need a quality striker (probably more than 1) pronto if the MW and DK is serious about a claim to requiring to be more than competitive.  

Losing goals can mean losing points.  2 points lost today due to poor defending.  

The problems are not new - they were evident from about the start of 2016.    Thing is - MW does not seem to see it or if he does he places no weight of emphasis on fixing the problem.   Neither does DK.   Which may indicate that being more than competitive in DK's mind for this season may really mean a top 6 finish without his having to shell out for players to achieve something a whole lot better.  

To be clear, if we end up in a middle league position at the end of he season not only will DK come under intense scrutiny for failing to back up his fabled £30m statements - so will MW as it's his judgement that he is happy with the squad as is and would run with it for the season if needed.   Thing is - seems much of the Support think a goal scoring CF is needed and a much more reliable CB is needed.    We may be wrong and MW may be right that the current squad is good enough.   But I somehow doubt it.   1-1 at home to Hamilton, a 3-1 thumping by Burnley and the decidedly rocky displays towards the end of last season and losing a cup fnal tell me that the striker and CB problems are far from fixed. Worse than that - they do not appear to be seen as serious problems by either MW or DK. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Let's pay Hibs the £3m+ they want for him :rolleyes:

We could've had him for a lot less than that.  If we went in at the end of last season, or after Stubbs left, or before he signed that new contract.  At this point there's no chance of it happening.

3 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

We could've had him for a lot less than that.  If we went in at the end of last season, or after Stubbs left, or before he signed that new contract.  At this point there's no chance of it happening.

No chance.

How are we supposed to compete with the likes of Peterborough? 

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

MOH and Dodoo are more wide players IMO. We have two strikers one is coming to the end of his career, the other doesn't look comfortable when playing through the middle. A top striker is massively needed.

A striker is needed, you won't find me arguing against that, but here's no way we aresigning two of them like the OP said we need to do.

26 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

We already have Waghorn, Miller and Dodoo on the books plus MOH who can play there too. There's no chance we are signing two strikers when we only play with one through the middle.

This. I actually like the idea of O'Halloran up front getting in behind the defence and switching with Dodoo on the right like we do with Miller and Waghorn. Miller should be used as a sub only for now. I'm not writing him off, not at all, he has his uses but there for when we're needing a goal and he's coming off the bench. 

A new centre half is an absolute must though. 

We need two new centre backs before we think about strikers. That defence is honking. How is Kiernan going to improve when Hill has no leadership whatsoever? 

I had to double take in case I was watching Lee McCulloch. All this fingerpointing pish, shifting the ball two yards back and forth as if there's no options when there's 3 passes on every time. I'm not giving up on him yet but that's my first game at Ibrox watching him - he was very, very bad.

47 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

What's the point in getting a striker in if we fail to get the balls into decent position for strikers to put them away

Apart from the goal I'm struggling to see why difference it would have made today

We definitely need a striker but the overall play and creativity needs to improve if we are to take advantage of buying a decent CF

What's ironic is when MOH and forrester came on that's when Miller would have worked better in the box. You saw in the first half he wanted it played across the face of goal but we came inside looking for one twos to open them up.

1 minute ago, NeoGeo7 said:

What's ironic is when MOH and forrester came on that's when Miller would have worked better in the box. You saw in the first half he wanted it played across the face of goal but we came inside looking for one twos to open them up.

We definitely need a striker but as you say, we need a starting line up which will compliment him

20 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

We have Dodoo,Windass, Moh and Forrester to replace Waghorn. We don't play with a striker we play as a front three who have the ability to change.  

We need a CB. 

We really missed Windass directness today but we can have cartwheeling wingers coming out our ears if we do not have the boot on the ball in front of goal it just defeats the purpose. 

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Let's pay Hibs the £3m+ they want for him :rolleyes:

In all honesty I hate the cunt but he would fit into our team very well and that pains me to say it. He knows Scottish footy he wont have the pleasure of getting used to the game here ect so I would not be against it as I rip my face off in disgust at what I just said.

32 minutes ago, Heyboy said:

What fucking cheque book?

Im in belfast and I know a coach with Northampton fucking town and they were offered that Joe Doodo for fuck all aswell as most other lower league clubs in England who also wouldn't take him for fuck all.

He rejected Leicesters contracd to come here. Although I agree, Warburton has next to no money to work with.

47 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Nothing

However, the fact is it has made things abundantly clear about the lack of quality up front and in defence.

So the most likely way to gain quality is to purchase players whom are valued in todays market, doesn't have to be a high purchase, however, there are very few hidden gems out there, and now is not the time to be gambling on a player whose problems we might be able to eradicate or who might be an underachiever.

We need quality now or we will be struggling big time in my opinion.

It was already abundantly clear. It's been abundantly clear for about 8 months or longer.

They should have been the first signings and where most of the budget was spent.

The fact we signed as many players as we have so far and not addressed them tells me the manager doesn't think they are as important as we do.