Remembering 1986/87

We hadn't won a title since 1978 and Souness came in and signed Colin West, Chris Woods and Terry Butcher. 

Expectations were high and ultimately we succeeded, but our start that year was rather inauspicious.

9 August 1986Hibernian A 1–2 24,576 McCoist (pen.)

13 August 1986Falkirk H 1–0 27,362 McCoist (pen.)

16 August 1986Dundee United H 2–3 43,995 McCoist (2)

So basically, I'd call for patience at this juncture. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, OlegKuznetsov said:

We hadn't won a title since 1978 and Souness came in and signed Colin West, Chris Woods and Terry Butcher. 

Expectations were high and ultimately we succeeded, but our start that year was rather inauspicious.

So basically, I'd call for patience at this juncture. 

You can't compare this team to the 86/87 squad, certainly not our shambles of a defence anyway.

2 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

You can't compare this team to the 86/87 squad, certainly not our shambles of a defence anyway.

Equally, I don't think you can compare our current opposition to that of the scum, Dundee hibs and sheep teams of that era. Or even the Hearts team of that period.

Also, Hamilton beat us in the cup that year. 

We signed some of the best players in England and Europe then.

We paid more than anyone else to get better than everyone else in our league.

Absolute zero similarities in the make up of the squad then to now, with us operating in the bargain bin market whilst our main competition out spend us.

Clutching at straws with this one imo

3 minutes ago, OlegKuznetsov said:

Equally, I don't think you can compare our current opposition to that of the scum, Dundee hibs and sheep teams of that era. Or even the Hearts team of that period.

Also, Hamilton beat us in the cup that year. 

Adrian Sprott......I remember it well. Got to Ibrox, but the place was jam packed so we could not get in.

Chris Woods was going to set  new British goalkeeping record that day, which he did, then Sprott scored and won the game.

I mentioned that start to the season to my son before kick off today , though I had forgot about the falkirk game . The only point I would make was the top teams at that time could all take points from each other . While I don't rate brenda as the messiah they think he is , I think he will stop them from dropping the amount of points they did under ronnie the rocket . We can be too quick to hit the panic button as a support but I do think we need to make our home games count this season . Will settle for an outcome like 86/87 .

The truth is the warning sign were there at the end of last season, our defence was a shambles back then, and is still a shambles. At the moment we have no cutting edge, and you can pass the ball all day, but you still have to score goals. Also think we are bullied to easily by teams although Barton is not scared to get stuck in. We need some new players or it could end up a long season for us.

1 minute ago, kplfishtank said:

We were 2 up against united I think. 

We were. My mate always liked to leave early to get the bus, despite us being at the closest place in the Copland Rear (middle section which was blue among the other coloured sections back then), so we thought we'd won till we got on the bus. The D Hibs cheers weren't loud enough to make us think goals occurred but uproar made me think that there more red cards after Souness's in the opener at Easter Road.

The Hibs fans were utter cunts in that match the previous week. They were chucking a barrage of coins at us at the pie stand at the corner and I can remember one guy taking a bad one in his eye. Utter cunts!

The comparison is gloriously noble in its intent.   But the reality is the current team does not have anything like the quality of Woods, Butcher etc.  And as importantly we have no prospect of securing any remotely similar quality as its not affordable.   The means of getting to 55 are going to have to be found in a different way to being able to attract a modern day equivalent of Woods, Butcher, Souness etc.    The question is - how deeply and urgently does DK and MW want to achieve 55 and what are they going to do to make it happen.   Today's result and performance in front of a packed Ibrox was unfortunately not the stuff of a Woods, Butcher, Souness era.  

34 minutes ago, Helicopter Sundae said:

Adrian Sprott......I remember it well. Got to Ibrox, but the place was jam packed so we could not get in.

Chris Woods was going to set  new British goalkeeping record that day, which he did, then Sprott scored and won the game.

I'm sure that game was all ticket. I remember my old man queued in the snow for three hours to get our tickets for the Govan Rear.

48 minutes ago, blueballss said:

its funny i remember the utd game well and was actually relating the feeling of today to that period

I remember Archie's line in the season video:

'A dance in the sun, that froze in it's tracks!' - after we'd coughed up a 2-0 lead!

32 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

The comparison is gloriously noble in its intent.   But the reality is the current team does not have anything like the quality of Woods, Butcher etc.  And as importantly we have no prospect of securing any remotely similar quality as its not affordable.   The means of getting to 55 are going to have to be found in a different way to being able to attract a modern day equivalent of Woods, Butcher, Souness etc.    The question is - how deeply and urgently does DK and MW want to achieve 55 and what are they going to do to make it happen.   Today's result and performance in front of a packed Ibrox was unfortunately not the stuff of a Woods, Butcher, Souness era.  

You KNEW that earlier team would improve.

We're hoping this lot will.

Without a shadow of a doubt my most favourite season for going to games. It was my first. Don't think I missed a home game all season, and most of the away ones too.

I remember being at the Utd game in the East Enclosure and howling dogs abuse at Gough. I think he'd already come out & said he'd sign for Spurs or something along those lines. Can't remember if this was his last game for Utd? Anyway, I've been talking shite ever sonce that day! :pipe:

Some great memories that season. Beating the sheep 2-0....(Souness scoring a 20 yarder that thuided off one post and trundled over the line at the other......Leighton chasing the linesman to the hafway line at our second), THAT Skol cup final, Cooper demolishing Hearts away. The New Year tanking of the filth (Souness spraying a 30 yard pass while standing still, to Cooper who didn't have to move an inch.....who crossed for Packie to drop a cross and allow Coisty to bang it in the onion net). Roberts' debut v's Utd. But best of all, my first OF game, with Coop doing that sublime reverse pass to Durranty who'd made a blinside run.

Fuck me, what a season that was!! :praise:

13 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

Without a shadow of a doubt my most favourite season for going to games. It was my first. Don't think I missed a home game all season, and most of the away ones too.

I remember being at the Utd game in the East Enclosure and howling dogs abuse at Gough. I think he'd already come out & said he'd sign for Spurs or something along those lines. Can't remember if this was his last game for Utd? Anyway, I've been talking shite ever sonce that day! :pipe:

Some great memories that season. Beating the sheep 2-0....(Souness scoring a 20 yarder that thuided off one post and trundled over the line at the other......Leighton chasing the linesman to the hafway line at our second), THAT Skol cup final, Cooper demolishing Hearts away. The New Year tanking of the filth (Souness spraying a 30 yard pass while standing still, to Cooper who didn't have to move an inch.....who crossed for Packie to drop a cross and allow Coisty to bang it in the onion net). Roberts' debut v's Utd. But best of all, my first OF game, with Coop doing that sublime reverse pass to Durranty who'd made a blinside run.

Fuck me, what a season that was!! :praise:

Hadn't been seeing my soon to be wife long at the time of the game where Durrant scored.

Was listening to a very crackly transistor & went nuts at the goal!

Poor lass didn't know what was happening & hid behind the settee!

40 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Hadn't been seeing my soon to be wife long at the time of the game where Durrant scored.

Was listening to a very crackly transistor & went nuts at the goal!

Poor lass didn't know what was happening & hid behind the settee!

HAHA!!

I'll tell you what, the atmosphere inside the stadium was crackling that day :pipe:

2 hours ago, minstral said:

The truth is the warning sign were there at the end of last season, our defence was a shambles back then, and is still a shambles. At the moment we have no cutting edge, and you can pass the ball all day, but you still have to score goals. Also think we are bullied to easily by teams although Barton is not scared to get stuck in. We need some new players or it could end up a long season for us.

Very true, we all see it and say the same thing,  but how come our management team haven't done anything about it, same response week in week out but I can't see a reaction or any lessons learned at all, that really worries me