Why Do Managers Not See What Fans See?

It appears that at times our Managers along with others (Wenger and the budget at Arsenal springs to mind) don't want to go with decisions that are obvious to the majority of fans

- We have been shit in defence since winning the Championship yet are still searching around for defenders months later 

- Ally playing players out of position

- Novo left out of Manchester final

But on the first point, if 99% of fans agree our defence has been woeful, then why doesn't our Management team? Surely MW can't be blinded....he watches the same games as we do.

Really great to see the style we have adapted after Ally and clipboard but I can't believe our management are missing the obvious fixes required

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a wide range of opinions on team selection, formations, player ratings etc.

In relation to the defence I think Warburton knows it needs strengthened. However he's got to be careful how he communicates that as he can't slag off keirnan or Wilson publicly. The issue there is getting in better defenders within the budget. I'm certain we will get another defender in but it will be most probably on transfer deadline day. 

It's not just about MW though, the board have to step up and ensure the calibre of player brought in can lead us to the title. 

5 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

There's a wide range of opinions on team selection, formations, player ratings etc.

In relation to the defence I think Warburton knows it needs strengthened. However he's got to be careful how he communicates that as he can't slag off keirnan or Wilson publicly. The issue there is getting in better defenders within the budget. I'm certain we will get another defender in but it will be most probably on transfer deadline day. 

It's not just about MW though, the board have to step up and ensure the calibre of player brought in can lead us to the title. 

Sadly we can't afford efe ambrose :mutley:

Warburton knows how he wants to play and he will be working towards that with what he has. He will think to get the championship we need to win, to win we need to score, to score we need to attack and to attack we need the ball but it seems he has given priority to everything but the defence. Even our full backs are attackers. Best thing for him to do is to get defenders who are not in the EPL 25 man squads before they are shifted on loan to the Championship in England. 

Some don't like to admit where they are going wrong so persist with something not working in the hope that eventually it pays off and they look like a genius. 

Sometimes they believe in their method that much that they don't see the problem staring them right in the face or they believe that the problem is something else.

Sometimes they see the problem but don't have the skill-set to rectify it.

Sometimes what a lot of fans see is a nonsense and thankfully ignored.

(This is managers in general before the "Trust the manager" crew get their panties in a twist)

Why Do Managers Not See What Fans See?

Maybe they do, but they have to bear in mind the terms of the player contracts, which players have the potential to make the club some money in transfer windows, balance the budget before buying new players and look out for new players who can play under pressure.

They see what we see. They also see more than we see in training etc, and you never know when a player might go on a run of great form from getting game time. 

The problem with our defence isn't going to completely go away while we play this formation, and I don't see us getting a real quality CB this season, even if we do other teams will still have more chances than against a more reserved formation.

21 minutes ago, Big_dado said:

They see what we see. They also see more than we see in training etc, and you never know when a player might go on a run of great form from getting game time. 

The problem with our defence isn't going to completely go away while we play this formation, and I don't see us getting a real quality CB this season, even if we do other teams will still have more chances than against a more reserved formation.

DW should be the ideal person to sort this out. If not, he's really not the AM some think he is never mind the manager some hope him to be when Warbs moves on.

And yes I their deficiencies but with proper training defending really isn't difficult.

Warbs is actually a relatively inexperienced manager, despite how well he did last season. 

A huge season beckons to show he has the ability we need him, and his management team, to have.

Managers have a lot more to think about than we fans.

He will know if a player is 100% fit, & ready to play, physically, & mentally.

If a player is not 'pulling his weight' in training, coaches won't pick them to start. There are also times, when we fans may think 'He must be doing great things in training' when we see a certain player picked every week, who we think shouldn't.

7 hours ago, bennyali said:

Warburton knows how he wants to play and he will be working towards that with what he has. He will think to get the championship we need to win, to win we need to score, to score we need to attack and to attack we need the ball but it seems he has given priority to everything but the defence. Even our full backs are attackers. Best thing for him to do is to get defenders who are not in the EPL 25 man squads before they are shifted on loan to the Championship in England. 

I think there's a lot of truth in that. We may have to tweak our style of play . 

7 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

I'd like to ask Davy Weir why our defense is so fragile.

He may have his hands tied here. If MW wants his full backs pushing forward then the full backs push forward ,  no matter what DW wants. 

8 hours ago, BlueBloodStream said:

It appears that at times our Managers along with others (Wenger and the budget at Arsenal springs to mind) don't want to go with decisions that are obvious to the majority of fans

- We have been shit in defence since winning the Championship yet are still searching around for defenders months later 

But on the first point, if 99% of fans agree our defence has been woeful, then why doesn't our Management team? Surely MW can't be blinded....he watches the same games as we do.

Really great to see the style we have adapted after Ally and clipboard but I can't believe our management are missing the obvious fixes required

5 competitive games into the season and we have lost 1 goal. Not exactly as leaky as folks make out. On Saturday attack was our issue not defence.

Managers have to look at the whole thing and juggle priorities - also we have a style of play that is always going to expose a centre back pairing - And defends in a different way from the 2 lines of 4 we have utilised for a long time. 

Further MW is on record as saying we are looking for another CB and we brought in the experienced Hill so it's not like defence is not being looked at.

managers miss less than fans think but difference is they actually have to make decisions in advance and not with hindsight. 

What i find strange is the team that overran the mhanks doesnt seem to be playing at that tempo anymore and bringing in Hill an Kranjar the tempo has gone down these two cant play that type of game one is too slow an the other needs too much time on the ball we need fit guys with pace and ability

9 hours ago, BlueBloodStream said:

Funny there were loads of us said the same when we saw the line up on Saturday

It didn't work out against Burnley and looked disjointed and lo & behold the same happened on sat.

If it's obviously not working at HT why wait for another 15 mins to change it?

There must be some rationale behind it but I can't see it.