Matt Gilks

Clarkyyy

After tonights performance albeit against lesser opposition, id give him a start on sat. Dundee will swing high balls into the box & they also use plenty long throw ins .. think Wes' hesitance to come for a cross ball could cost us whereas big Gilks voming would take the pressure off the back 4 . That corner he took clean tonight would have been dropping at the back post for a tap in had wes been in. Great to have 2 keepers who have a genuine arguement to start tho.

8 minutes ago, ThatNightInFlorence said:

Fuck off :D 

Wes is rightly our number 1 and he had a good game on Saturday. He also actually came out and dealt with a cross ball convincingly against Hamilton for what it's worth. 

This, we could have lost against Hamilton on Saturday if it wasn't for some excellent goalkeeping by Wes.

Did anyone notice him in the warm up before the game? There was a death metal tune or somthing like that playing over the tanoy and he was kicking about playing the air guitar lol, thought to my self ' fuckin hell we've got slash playing in goals for us tonight, seems like a character.

Seems a great guy was very vocal last night, Like games like last night with lesser attendances in a weird way as you can hear the players talking a lot more and he was very commanding very professional anytime he was called upon but Wes is number 1 and will rightly be in goal on Saturday. Saved us a point on Saturday past

It's all about opinions and I think Gilks is more commanding than Wes, the big man has made some cracking saves but is not yet the finished article and gives us some scary moments.

I think I would like to see Gilks given a run of games before deciding who is the better keeper.

It seems that gone are the days of the Woods, Gorams, Klos and McGregor, let's face it we have been spoiled over the years with the calibre of keepers we have had but since McGregor we haven't really had a great all round keeper.

4 minutes ago, dande101 said:

It's all about opinions and I think Gilks is more commanding than Wes, the big man has made some cracking saves but is not yet the finished article and gives us some scary moments.

I think I would like to see Gilks given a run of games before deciding who is the better keeper.

It seems that gone are the days of the Woods, Gorams, Klos and McGregor, let's face it we have been spoiled over the years with the calibre of keepers we have had but since McGregor we haven't really had a great all round keeper.

Even Shagger wasn't a great all-round keeper. His kicking was dreadful and he was inconsistent at best when it came to commanding his area.

Cracking shot stopper, though.

He has not put a foot wrong against lesser teams but Wes has earned that jersey and its up to Wes to play well and keep it or there is a good keeper waiting in the wing. 

It's all good healthy competition and will keep Wes on his toes, another good signing by the manager. 

12 minutes ago, VladimirWeiss69 said:

From What I have seen from both wes and gilks so far,  Gilks looks better with his feet and better at commanding the area, albeit I haven't really seen his shot stopping. He just looks a lot more composed than Wes when he has the ball at his feet.

Can you give me an instance when we have seen Gilks put under pressure with the ball at his feet?

The main point is that until Foderingham has a stinker of a game, or causes us to drop points then he will be our number one keeper. Gilks will keep big Wes on his toes but for now he will be on the subs bench for League games.

How anyone can pick gilks over Wes is baffling to me. He may in time prove to be the better keeper but so far he's not been tested to prove it. Wes is rightly our no1 and after his performance against Hamilton keeping us in the game will be for a while yet

12 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Can you give me an instance when we have seen Gilks put under pressure with the ball at his feet?

The main point is that until Foderingham has a stinker of a game, or causes us to drop points then he will be our number one keeper. Gilks will keep big Wes on his toes but for now he will be on the subs bench for League games.

Yesterday and against charleston.  There was a point when I can't remember who passed it back but a Peterhead player instantly closed it down and Gilks just went and booted it down the line, he looks like he is pretty strong on both feet from what I have seen

12 hours ago, VladimirWeiss69 said:

Yesterday and against charleston.  There was a point when I can't remember who passed it back but a Peterhead player instantly closed it down and Gilks just went and booted it down the line, he looks like he is pretty strong on both feet from what I have seen

I didn't see any of the match against Charleston and I must have missed the passage of play you mention against Peterhead,but as I said in my post; the main point is that until Foderingham has a dip in form or Gilks performs better in training, big Wes doesn't deserve to get dropped.

I had never seen Gilks play previously before the Annan game but agree with you that he looks a confident 'keeper who will push hard to get  the #1 spot if given the chance, but I'm sure Foderingham will be between the sticks against Dundee. :pipe:

At the moment I don't agree. Not saying it's the worst suggestion I've heard but personally for me Fod is the number one.

It's good for me to know though that he's a half-decent back-up to make sure Fod's standards don't drop.

I don't mean after one mistake he's dropped or anything but he needs the competition.

It's similar to McGregor and Alexander.

One is clearly number one, but the other is half-decent back-up to have and isn't really the end of the world if the number 1 is missing for a wee period.

20 hours ago, VladimirWeiss69 said:

Nothing wrong with clearing the ball up the park when under pressure but there was a point during the 1st half of the Hamilton when Barton I think totally under hit a pass back to Foderingham putting him under needless pressure,he took a touch and dribbled past d'acol I think it was before passing to either kiernan or tav,playing out from the back which is how the Warburton and Weir want us to play. 

Foderingham should stay number 1 until Gilks does enough to take the starting spot from Foderingham. Gilks hasn't really been tested so far. Good to have solid competition for places again though.

Thought Gilks had a good game, but dropping Wes for Dundee would be harsh considering the performance he had against Hamilton. We are in a good position with the GKs, Gilks is a capable backup and ive got no fears with him coming in.

Light years from our Bell and Simonsen days.