What would you deem a successful season?

GTMLivo

We won the first ever league.

We won the first ever Premier League

Even when demoted we won the third and the second first time.

Only hiccup was the championship but Mr Warburton rectified that.

That's a standard set, the only trophy I really, really want us to win this season is the league. 

That 55 whenever it comes resets our benchmark.

The league title is what I want and any cup final or win until then is simply a bonus.

However to qualify the above, before last season I would have considered a Premier  league challenge this season unrealistic. The turnaround needed for our club and implemented by Mr Warburton has changed the whole ethic of our club, a major achievement in itself. If you doubt this, then look back to our regular teamsheet and our results before he arrived.

This season we will also have the challenge of a cellic side which has spent a fortune, still appears to have luck on it's side, and no doubt will continue to receive help and encouragement from the SFA and refs,it's what they do. And also Aberdeen and possibly Hearts will be looking to compete at a higher standard than last year, they will be a challenge themselves, and I see those two us and cellic all taking points off each other.

It's a major challenge, we still have a battle ahead to re-establish ourselves at the top, realistically we are still rebuilding the team so it may be slightly beyond us, but I look forward to that challenge. We are on our way back to the top, only a matter of when, rather than if we win the league. 

If we win this league this year it will be at the very peak of the greatest achievements in our history.

Possible to win it this season ?  Yes.     Likely to win it ? Not sure yet, but time will tell. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Winning the league.

An amazing season is a double/treble.

A bad season is not winning the league (even if we win one of the cups)

This is the only answer. 

Being away for 4 years and our own fans have forgot who we are. 

Never let the standards slip 

When I see where we are in say 6 months time I can give an answer....right now I'd be happy to win a cup and compete strongly....being sensible I think winning  the league is a bit too big an ask this season but if I'm proven wrong I'm more than willing to scoff the humble pie coming my way

Whenever Rangers don't win the league then it constitutes failure, that has always been the case, and it shouldn't change now. My only objection to it is that it would ever be a sackable issue for the manager, or that he didn't necessarily do his job properly, or that we aren't making progress as a club both on and off the field. It is possible to fail and still be doing things properly in the long run.  If we don't win the league then I believe we will still be going along the right lines with Warburton as manager, and that we should still back him in his plans for the club for what he can bring in the long term.

1 minute ago, PaulReid said:

This is the only answer. 

Being away for 4 years and our own fans have forgot who we are.

Never let the standards slip 

How fucking true this is.

A wee bit of me dies inside every time I see a fan saying on here or social media a good season is giving Celtic a go or even crap like top 4.

It's like they've adjusted theirselves mentally for failure & getting excuses in because they know we won't spend what's needed and rationalising it to theirselves like it's par for the course and what to expect or something. It's pathetic.

We expect to win every game,  but we don't take account of the journey we are still on. I will be gutted if we don't win the league,  but I don't see it as a failure if we do not.  I do expect us to continue being the best footballing team in the league,  and improving in this area.

My old man asked me the same question, it's a pointless discussion at the moment because it contemplates failure to win the league. That shouldn't even be in our minds with 36 games to go. 

Come back to this in January, and if by then it's clear we might not be good enough to win the league we can talk alternatives, until then - the objective is winning the league. 

The only outcome which would both silence our doubters and fulfil the ambitions of many of our fans is winning the league.

I think that is where we have to look to be at the end of the season, and this would (in my opinion) represent a successful season.

I appreciate that we are not the finished article as a team, but I don't really believe that anyone else has an outstanding team - all of them are very beatable.

Winning the league would be the only thing I'd deem a success.However, I wouldn't deem not winning the league a failure.

Whilst I always expect Rangers to succeed, I do appreciate doing this at the first time of asking is a tall expectation. I won't be angry provided we give a decent shot at it this season, next season the expectation increases. 

Winning the League title is how Rangers teams are judged , always has been and always should be . 

I was fortunate to witness the 9IAR era and although those were great times , I'm sure I'm not the only Bear from that time who has a wee bit of resentment that those legends couldn't get us over the line for 10 . Even the UEFA cup run is tarnished by the failure to win the title that year .

I do believe though that MW deserves the time to fully implement his vision to take the club forward and put down solid foundations for our future benefit . Unfortunately though as Fernando said "second is nowhere" especially in scotland .

3 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Whenever Rangers don't win the league then it constitutes failure, that has always been the case, and it shouldn't change now. My only objection to it is that it would ever be a sackable issue for the manager, or that he didn't necessarily do his job properly, or that we aren't making progress as a club both on and off the field. It is possible to fail and still be doing things properly in the long run.  If we don't win the league then I believe we will still be going along the right lines with Warburton as manager, and that we should still back him in his plans for the club for what he can bring in the long term.

The only true failure would be if the team stopped trying to win.

I'll be happy if we win a cup, finish at least a close second, and give them a couple of tankings.

That said, ive seen nothing to suggest they'll romp it this year. If we sort our defence out we'll be there or thereabouts.