*** Official Post Match Thread.***

gogzy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can 5'8 macdonald win so many headers from long ball when we have 2 Centre Backs that are 6'1.  Was really starting to piss me off. Yes he used his body, but be stronger, time it better.

Wilson and Keirnan can not be our defensive partnership at the back, they both look for someone to take control all the time. Dannys saving grace is that he is left footed and can pass a bit. 

It's heart skipping stuff watching them at the back.

Happy to get the win but 1st half performance wasn't good enough. Too often we're only playing one good half of football and it'll end up costing us big time. 

Disappointed with McKay today too, don't know why he was so scared to take on his man but hope it's just a blip. Tav was excellent as usual and Kranjcar made some difference, probs his best game in a Rangers shirt.

Can't wait for Holt or Windass to be available to get some pace into that midfield as well.

Totally flat performance almost the entire game.

Barton to me doesn't look like he can handle the pace, he's getting caught on the ball too often and he's getting turned inside out. He's able to win the ball back in midfield but more often than not he gets beat. His forward play hasn't been all that either.

Defence looks shit scared when anyone runs at them, it's like watching deer on ice. M'Well goal was a shambles, but it was lucky too.

Kranjcar looked good when he came on, nice bit of skill for that one-two to Miller and then the balls in for the two goals. Needs to start against Killie.

Was impressed with Dodoo when he came on too, good movement and passing in behind. MOH didn't look too sharp when he came on, should also have squared it to Miller at the end.

Also not to have a go at Mckay as he is a young boy and confidence is key for his position.

Needs to keep his head up after being subbed and Its been a tough start to the top league for him, but today he was hiding and it was 100% right that he was taken off. Wallace looked a bit tired today to, not to many lung bursting runs down the left.

Everyone needs to be firing on all Cylinders as there is competition for places, Mw needs to be brave and mix up the starting line up.

Where to start... we are so slow and predictable, last year we were so fast, fluent and direct. I don't know if the fact we conceded goals last year that they have tried to tighten thing up which has been detrimental to the team. If we play with 2 holding players and 2 wingers and Kenny miller coming short in only leaves Halliday to get into the box which everyone can so when the ball goes wide there's nobody in the box. Also the subs seem also so pre planned that it doesn't matter how the game is going that it is strange so of the decisions that are made. Mckay was poor the first half and the looked to be doing well the second half and then was the first off. Also nike coming on when we needed.pace was strange but we got away with it. Finally corner kicks and every fucking man back in the box, I know for a fact that teams last year year were scared when they had corners that we would hit them on the attack as we left 2 or 3 up the park, we are now encouraging them to through as many players forward as they want

Really think Barry McKay looks like he's labouring at times. Cuts inside too often and slows the play down instead of being direct. Living off the goal against the Tims the now...... Needs a game on the bench. 

MOH looks like a player until he gets the ball at his feet - great pace but can't shoot/head/pass and rarely puts in a good cross and when he does it usually ends up in an OG...... Needs practice how to play with the ball!

Need Windass Holt/Niko Forrester/McKay supporting Dodoo/Garner in my opinion.

Could do wi Aberdeen doing us a favour next week, us heavily beating Killie and going into scumdome top, hopefully puts the players mind solely on keeping the top spot and giving that fight every week because that's what playing for Rangers is all about, that top spot, and they need to know that

Each of the league games has generated a feeling of the team walking on a tightrope - a very fine line between slipping up and needlessly dropping points (Hamilton) and stumbling somehow to a victory (Dundee and now Motherwell).  I don't think its a match fitness thing (other than for Nico and for those out injured).   

I'd find it hard to say the players have really gelled yet - and there's more gelling to take place when the injured players return and new players join so I guess its possible we could be in for a stretched period where the team is not firing on all cylinders and delivering to its full potential.     We do need to be in strong contention right up to the end of the year so that a title run-in is tackled by a squad that has gelled as well as its going to and has started to produce some much more commanding performances (and of course results).

Is their enough leadership and experience in the team to sort out a lack of energy / drive?   You'd like to think so with Wallace, Miller, Barton and (when he is playing) Nico.   Maybe the senior players need to take a bit more responsibility for helping the team to get more of a grip during games.   Easy to say though, but probably much harder to do.

Notice that the full backs are not yet into anything like the same goal scoring run they developed last season.  I know its early days and maybe I'm not seeing it properly but I'm not sensing that they are going to be the same sort of goal scoring threat they were last season.  If that turns out to be the case then more mauy be needed from strikers and midfield.    We got very few goals from CBs last season and that doesn't look to have changed this season.   They've also not shown they've learned yet how to step up their defending skills as we are still a bit of a nightmare in defending set pieces. 

MW is fond of using the 'learning' word.   At times it seems to be a very long tuition that is being supposedly learnt as turning learning into evidence of having learned (and gelled) is taking a bit too long for my liking.     

One thing we can be sure  has been learned though.  If Waggy has regained fitness for selection he will be the one player who is not in the squad for the Kilmarnock game.

Basically the same as everyone else, shite 1st, better 2nd, but Miller shouldn't be on the pitch for 90 mins again.

I know he scored the winner, again, but he should come on for the last 30 mins and expend more energy instead of huffing and puffing about for 90. And missing more than he gets.

I'd keep him for the bench, but he shouldn't play the whole game every again.

Guest Lloyd72
42 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

No @Lloyd72, positive comments about the defense isn't allowed remember :pipe: 

Aye a forgot, we only discuss the negatives on RM.:lol: everyone and everything about today's performance was shite.:P

2 hours ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

How can 5'8 macdonald win so many headers from long ball when we have 2 Centre Backs that are 6'1.  Was really starting to piss me off. Yes he used his body, but be stronger, time it better.

Wilson and Keirnan can not be our defensive partnership at the back, they both look for someone to take control all the time. Dannys saving grace is that he is left footed and can pass a bit. 

It's heart skipping stuff watching them at the back.

Half the time the ball was played up to McDonald at a height that made him favourite to win it.

He had to jump and our centre halfs didn't, which makes him favourite.

Add into that the referee game him free kicks whenever the centre halfs used their body and not when McDonald did, there wasn't a whole lot they could do better.

2 hours ago, james_85 said:

Where to start... we are so slow and predictable, last year we were so fast, fluent and direct. I don't know if the fact we conceded goals last year that they have tried to tighten thing up which has been detrimental to the team. If we play with 2 holding players and 2 wingers and Kenny miller coming short in only leaves Halliday to get into the box which everyone can so when the ball goes wide there's nobody in the box. Also the subs seem also so pre planned that it doesn't matter how the game is going that it is strange so of the decisions that are made. Mckay was poor the first half and the looked to be doing well the second half and then was the first off. Also nike coming on when we needed.pace was strange but we got away with it. Finally corner kicks and every fucking man back in the box, I know for a fact that teams last year year were scared when they had corners that we would hit them on the attack as we left 2 or 3 up the park, we are now encouraging them to through as many players forward as they want

Why are people comparing last year to this season? Its a different league, better players. So many new players in the squad, its just different. The fact 7 points has been achieved is a huge + for us.

Just now, CaptainAmerica18 said:

Half the time the ball was played up to McDonald at a height that made him favourite to win it.

He had to jump and our centre halfs didn't, which makes him favourite.

Add into that the referee game him free kicks whenever the centre halfs used their body and not when McDonald did, there wasn't a whole lot they could do better

Not sure the goalies long punts up field were at 5'8 in height. He won all the Ariel duels, should have scored with another header. He was up on his own and ran our defenders ragged, won a lot of clever fouls as they were Nieve. 

They could read the game better, tackle better, position themselves better.The could be smarter. They could be stronger.  Put it this way he is pish against other defenders in the league, leathal against ours.

He is  33 year old aging striker, who isn't very good. Let him take it down then tackle him hard, he isn't running away from you.You know he will go down easily Dont barge into the back of him, you know he will jump into you, you know he will lead with the elbow or the arm.   Alert the ref to these facts.if he is backing in hard step off quickly leave him on his arse.

I have never played Centre back or have any knowledge of defending personally so all these things I have said might just be pish and McDonald is unplayable.

3 hours ago, RoyalNavyBlue said:

Really think Barry McKay looks like he's labouring at times. Cuts inside too often and slows the play down instead of being direct. Living off the goal against the Tims the now...... Needs a game on the bench. 

MOH looks like a player until he gets the ball at his feet - great pace but can't shoot/head/pass and rarely puts in a good cross and when he does it usually ends up in an OG...... Needs practice how to play with the ball!

Need Windass Holt/Niko Forrester/McKay supporting Dodoo/Garner in my opinion.

What a load of shite

1 hour ago, keithgersbear said:

Why are people comparing last year to this season? Its a different league, better players. So many new players in the squad, its just different. The fact 7 points has been achieved is a huge + for us.

Why would you not compare from last year, when Warburton came in his biggest plus for me was his style of play which seems to have taken a step back but hopefully we can go back to that. 7 points is good so far but if you could have picked the fixtures then we couldn't have got it any easier and we should have taken 9 points.

The biggest mistake the manager made, for me, was not taking Halliday off earlier. It looked as if Halliday had switched with Forrester, but Halliday was finding himself in the centre-forward positions when he isn't a natural finisher for those chances. If Miller had been there he would have scored those, but he was out wide. O'Halloran offers no final ball, and that has to be a concern; I would really like to see him score goals, but I have my doubts about whether he has what it takes in this side. Dodoo, again, has a very poor final ball in my opinion, and I thought he would be better than what he produced today. Maybe we need to give him more time, but he was far from impressive. Up front is a real concern for this team, but hopefully Waghorn back and Garner will be the answer to our striking problems.

20 hours ago, james_85 said:

Why would you not compare from last year, when Warburton came in his biggest plus for me was his style of play which seems to have taken a step back but hopefully we can go back to that. 7 points is good so far but if you could have picked the fixtures then we couldn't have got it any easier and we should have taken 9 points.

The standard is higher. It was always going to be different.