Jason Holt

bordersbear

Just watched the Scottish cup Dundee game again. When fit Jason Holt has to be a first pick. If you watch that game again and see how much of the play he was involved in and how he gets into an advanced position that's what we seem to be missing so far this season. My midfield three would be rossiter sitting , kranjcar and Holt.Holt can dig in if needed but the way he keeps things moving at a high tempo and gets beyond the strikers is superb. Kranjcar has the pass to find him and I think those three should be our first choice midfield for killie on Friday .

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Duncn said:

I think windass could/will do a similar job 

Yeah, I agree with this.

I think we will see a huge improvement in the midfield when Holt and Windass come back. Right now we don't really have anyone in midfield who can run beyond the striker, they all want to sit deep. 

The likes of Holt or Windass will solve this problem IMO.

He was the glue connecting midfield and attack last season. Excellent player with an outstanding footballing brain - the positions he takes up are class. Windass is not Holt. From what I've seen of Windass, they're 2 completely different players. He likes to pick the ball up and run with it. Holt is a player who moves into space and keeps the ball moving quickly. 

Before the season started I didn't see any way Holt was getting in the team, however now that he's missing you really notice how much energy he brings to the midfield. For me either him, Windass or Forrester has to play in one of the 3 midfield positions.

When I watch Holt I find it so surprising the amount of times there isn't a player within 10 yards of him, considering every team has 10 behind the ball it is remarkable the space he creates for himself. It gives him the edge because when he receives the ball he knows where hes playing it and has the advantage to run at the defence for the pass back.

Sadly I can't see him playing, infact I'd be very surprised if he gets regular game time, which is a problem that lies at the managers door if that is the case.

His movement is definitely his best attribute, couple this with a passer (barton/niko) and a dribbler (windass/forrester) and we're onto a winner. this is why I think our best two midfield combinations are

rossiter

niko                    windass/holt                                    

or

barton

holt                  windass