Copland Nutter

dogtanian

Anybody remember him? If im talking shite please feel free to shoot me down in flames or delete this post but I'm pretty sure this guy was real when I first started going to games. What I can remember is he would run about the stands and basically go mental to try and get the crowd going, a bit like a modern day Union Bears only a one man show.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, dogtanian said:

Anybody remember him? If im talking shite please feel free to shoot me down in flames or delete this post but I'm pretty sure this guy was real when I first started going to games. What I can remember is he would run about the stands and basically go mental to try and get the crowd going, a bit like a modern day Union Bears only a one man show.

I remember him well. Used to run up and down the stairs to the right side of the Copland as you looked at it. I think it was on the upper tier. Maybe around the late 80's to early 90's? 

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

I remember him well. Used to run up and down the stairs to the right side of the Copland as you looked at it. I think it was on the upper tier. Maybe around the late 80's to early 90's? 

Thank fuck for that, thought I fucking imagined it. Aye would have been about that time I think. What I remember he had ginger hair and glasses.

Just now, dogtanian said:

Thank fuck for that, thought I fucking imagined it. Aye would have been about that time I think. What I remember he had ginger hair and glasses.

Aye that's right a bit like Eddie the Eagle.

3 minutes ago, dogtanian said:

Sure you're not confusing Ibrox with that TV show TFI Friday?  That use to be on back in the 90s.

It was the back of the lower tier, but it was the right hand side of the Copland.

He brought a drum in at one of the games and the stewards took it off him, with the help of the police.

Felt like most of the stadium started watching that rather than the game. Place went mental with boos when he eventually gave it up.

After about five minutes of booing and no-one watching the game, he got his drum back and proceeded to walk up and down the stairs banging it.

Loudest boos and cheers of the day. 

6 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

It was the back of the lower tier, but it was the right hand side of the Copland.

He brought a drum in at one of the games and the stewards took it off him, with the help of the police.

Felt like most of the stadium started watching that rather than the game. Place went mental with boos when he eventually gave it up.

After about five minutes of booing and no-one watching the game, he got his drum back and proceeded to walk up and down the stairs banging it.

Loudest boos and cheers of the day. 

No worries I wasn't sure which tier it was. 

I remember him taking a tumble down multiple stairs one game then getting to his feet with his hands up in the air. He got a cheer from the whole stadium.

Just now, The Beast said:

No worries I wasn't sure which tier it was. 

I remember him taking a tumble down multiple stairs one game then getting to his feet with his hands up in the air. He got a cheer from the whole stadium.

My first season ticket was in the main stand, just behind the directors box, I couldn't see the top of the Copland because of the club deck. 

He was very entertaining.

19 minutes ago, dogtanian said:

I think he did have ginger hair and glasses but i cant be certain. Wonder what happened to him. 

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

My first season ticket was in the main stand, just behind the directors box, I couldn't see the top of the Copland because of the club deck. 

He was very entertaining.

At that time my ST was two or three rows in front of the Copland end of the directors box. 

Charlie the Copland nutter. He's from Stevenston, used to go with the Cross Keys RSC. Can be found pished in there often. I went in one midweek not too long ago and he pounced over the bar and started pouring driks. Bit fond of the ching too.

8 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Is that for real?

Really real. They brought out loads of memorabilia from the season as a thanks. Singled him out gave h8m all the stuff last home game then the next season the club tried to ban him. Mate sat a few rows behind him 

Just now, Dazzler said:

I loved sitting near the directors box. Some of the abuse Murray and Walter got during games was hilarious. 

Where I was, there were some RFC seats for directors box overspill and you often got injured players or other well known faces sitting around you.

I remember one game with Mark Hateley sitting diagonally in front of me all dressed in an Armani suit which probably cost more than my car at the time. A couple of lads probably about 14 or so came up for an autograph saying in a broad Glasweigan accent "can we have your autograph Hateley" 

He turned round and said "it's Mr Hately you wee shit". He still signed their programs though. 

Just now, ready1873 said:

Charlie the Copland nutter. He's from Stevenston, used to go with the Cross Keys RSC. Can be found pished in there often. I went in one midweek not too long ago and he pounced over the bar and started pouring driks. Bit fond of the ching too.

I'd buy him a drink.

This was back in the day when a library would have been louder than the stadium.

Enclosures had not long been taken away, the club deck had just been completed and we didn't have those wee nutters in the broomloan.

He did a good job of trying to generate an atmosphere. 

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Do you think Walter had the say so over the polis n stewards??

Back then probably. 

It wasn't like the SNP Police Scotland hatetroopers who are at the grounds now.