The coveted no 9 jersey...

Not a Joe Garner post per se, as there has been a few of those already. My mate at work is a lifelong Forest fan. I asked him for his opinion of our new signing, as he obviously knows that league down there better than me. He told me he is a "good player who will guarantee us at least 10 goals a season". I didn't really know whether he was trying to take the piss or pay him some sort of weird compliment. Anyway, I'm pleased as hell with the signing and think he will be brilliant.

I grew up idolising McCoist and got used to him racking them up over a season; even when he had a spell on the bench with the signing of Mo Johnston. I think a striker wearing the famous no 9 shirt, should guarantee us a bare-minimum of at least 20 goals per season (not including cups), in the top flight to give us any chance of winning the league. I would even accept Waghorn getting 15 for us playing on the right, and having a very good season. The number 9 should get more though.

What do fellow bears think should be a reasonable target for our number 9 this season, whoever gets the nod??

2 minutes ago, dee9 said:

Well griffiths got 40+ for them last season so for us to have a chance of this league we must have someone getting 30 at the very minimum.

we get plenty of goals from midfield , I think 20+ would be the minimum . 

5 minutes ago, dee9 said:

Well griffiths got 40+ for them last season so for us to have a chance of this league we must have someone getting 30 at the very minimum.

With us having 4 strikers who all want 1st team football I wouldn't have thought that one person in our team gets the majority of the goals. If anyone does do that though I'd put my money on it being Garner.

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

A number 9 at Rangers should be a 30+ goal player.

Miller isn't that person. 

Garner may be, Waggy certainly can be.

The number on the jersey isn't that important it's that the player playing that position fulfills the role and scores the goals.

IMO waghorn isn't a traditional no 9. He misses far too many chances and quite a few of his goals are penalties.

I'm excited by Garner, and I hope he can be clinical like Boyd, McCoist etc 

42 minutes ago, Queen's_highway said:

I'd want him gone if he only gave us ten goals a season lol. I'm hoping he's 25+ a season , as we need that if we've any hope of competing for the league 

Edit Sorry I only read the first paragraph before I replied

I know what you mean. If we can get that figure, that would be brill :)

11 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

A number 9 at Rangers should be a 30+ goal player.

Miller isn't that person. 

Garner may be, Waggy certainly can be.

The number on the jersey isn't that important it's that the player playing that position fulfills the role and scores the goals.

Even better if we get that much!

10 minutes ago, Queen's_highway said:

IMO waghorn isn't a traditional no 9. He misses far too many chances and quite a few of his goals are penalties.

I'm excited by Garner, and I hope he can be clinical like Boyd, McCoist etc 

Basing it on what he got last year pre injury.

Football has changed a good bit from years ago, it was always an expectation than your main striker would be good for 40 odd goals a season, I reckon if Garner gives us between 20-25 he will of played a significant part towards a title challenge.

9 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

:DThink Marco Negri scored 23 goals in his first 10 matches in the No 9 jersey. Fuck this "think he'll score at least 10 in a season" shite.

My sentiments exactly! :D I remember it well...he was amazing. Pity about that daft injury he got though!

3 minutes ago, bluenose244 said:

20+ would suffice considering we have goals all over the park, we don't rely on one man scoring the goals with our style of play.

Scored 4 in 3 games. 

Need goals. 

We should be targeting 100+ goals in 36 league games, with home games accounting for more than half.

A CF with 30 ish goals is vital.