I'm excited about Garner

Gaz52

If we change our style to not pin the opposition (or allow them to fall back to a back 10 *whatever way you want to put it*) back into their own box while looking for goals then I think we'll get a good number of goals out of him. Against Motherwell it's as though he was on the pitch and all the players and management could see him bar us, cross after cross into the box for him to stick the head on it and obviously no one was there. That service combined with his presence will mean goals you'd assume.

He gives us an aerial threat and we've been crying out for it, whether or not at 5 foot 10" he can stick the head on it against our big 'heid the baw' CB's we'll have to wait and see but on paper he's one of the better headers of a ball up front from the Championship and below (not much competition on that aspect of the game to be honest but if you're looking for that attribute from that market then he's about the best around).

If there's any truth in the fee I feel we've pushed ourselves on the wrong player because CB is a problem and we could have picked up Hemmings for £330k for his 25-goals-a-season and put the saved money in defense (even if that's galling you can see the sense in it, why pay £1.8M for a 28 year old with no sell on value who'll get you 20+ goals, maybe, when you can get 25+ goals for 330k?!).

If we adapt with this man up front (as with everyone else) so that we're more direct/cutting/fast-paced then we will see the quality difference between ourselves and everyone else (bar the Tims as like it or not they are a cut above everyone else as it stands).

Good luck to the man.

1 hour ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

If we change our style to not pin the opposition (or allow them to fall back to a back 10 *whatever way you want to put it*) back into their own box while looking for goals then I think we'll get a good number of goals out of him. Against Motherwell it's as though he was on the pitch and all the players and management could see him bar us, cross after cross into the box for him to stick the head on it and obviously no one was there. That service combined with his presence will mean goals you'd assume.

He gives us an aerial threat and we've been crying out for it, whether or not at 5 foot 10" he can stick the head on it against our big 'heid the baw' CB's we'll have to wait and see but on paper he's one of the better headers of a ball up front from the Championship and below (not much competition on that aspect of the game to be honest but if you're looking for that attribute from that market then he's about the best around).

If there's any truth in the fee I feel we've pushed ourselves on the wrong player because CB is a problem and we could have picked up Hemmings for £330k for his 25-goals-a-season and put the saved money in defense (even if that's galling you can see the sense in it, why pay £1.8M for a 28 year old with no sell on value who'll get you 20+ goals, maybe, when you can get 25+ goals for 330k?!).

If we adapt with this man up front (as with everyone else) so that we're more direct/cutting/fast-paced then we will see the quality difference between ourselves and everyone else (bar the Tims as like it or not they are a cut above everyone else as it stands).

Good luck to the man.

Hemmings is pish - no where near good enough. 

3 hours ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

Good luck to the man.

Hemmings couldn't handle the pressure playing for us in the lower league, nevermind in the top flight.

5 hours ago, ForeverBlue1872 said:

Hemmings couldn't handle the pressure playing for us in the lower league, nevermind in the top flight.

It still amazes me that the pressure of playing for Rangers is overlooked when people compare how well players do when they move on or how they played before they signed if they haven't done it here.

9 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Hemmings is pish - no where near good enough. 

The basic premise was that in this hypothetical, if Hemmings was brought back to the club and scored 25 goals for us having cost 330k that would be considered as well worth it. Especially when the saved fee could be used on a CB. 

8 hours ago, ForeverBlue1872 said:

Was Hemmings not plagued by injury at us making his chances very stop start? Could it not be argued that Wallace and McKay failed to set the heather alight in spells of Ally's reign? Would the football standard make a difference (having been promoted)? Under this manager and with our style of play would it be considered that perhaps we'd see a different side to him?....I don't know the man Hemmings viability wasn't really the crux of the point, it was an example of how 25+ goals can be got for a lot less than £1.5M+, Garner may far exceed that and I hope he does, It just occurred to me that it's a bit of a strange one in a lot of ways considering our financial constraints. 

2 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

It still amazes me that the pressure of playing for Rangers is overlooked when people compare how well players do when they move on or how they played before they signed if they haven't done it here.

Certainly, it's something to be considered but then as I mentioned to ForeverBlue there is a host of other factors you could look at if you want to go down that road like;

Hemmings is 24, he was 21 when he left - with a decent stint at Cowdenbeath and Dundee, he may have developed more since he was last here.

He was plagued by injury as I remember?

Ally was the manager and the shape of the team went out the window under him and many players failed to perform including much more experienced players.

Mr Warburton is recognised as being someone to get the best out of his players and he's took Forrester to the club despite mumblings about his mentality (I seem to remember he was frozen out at Doncaster?!), perhaps Warburton to get more out of him?

25+ goals in our league obviously doesn't directly correlate to success in a Rangers jersey but then neither does any other strikers record, for argument sake you would make the assumption that our manager and our style of play would get more out of someone that got 25 goals playing for Dundee.

If we have Garner, what does that mean for Waghorn? Miller? Would Hemmings price tag not make more sense considering each forward still has something to offer? 

The money saved.....CB

Obviously personal traits, mentality, how they would work with other players etc etc. all come into decision making regarding which player to sign and a lot more could yet be considered. The point was merely that considering what Hemmings cost as a 25 goal forward, Garner is quite a purchase price, especially when you consider the mantra of 'value', our seemingly tight financial constraints (you know what I mean, it's tighter than just about every year in the top flight since 1989?! maybe a few years after (only 30). He does seem to have a better head on him that most though and that's something I've been asking for.

1 hour ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

The basic premise was that in this hypothetical, if Hemmings was brought back to the club and scored 25 goals for us having cost 330k that would be considered as well worth it. Especially when the saved fee could be used on a CB. 

Was Hemmings not plagued by injury at us making his chances very stop start? Could it not be argued that Wallace and McKay failed to set the heather alight in spells of Ally's reign? Would the football standard make a difference (having been promoted)? Under this manager and with our style of play would it be considered that perhaps we'd see a different side to him?....I don't know the man Hemmings viability wasn't really the crux of the point, it was an example of how 25+ goals can be got for a lot less than £1.5M+, Garner may far exceed that and I hope he does, It just occurred to me that it's a bit of a strange one in a lot of ways considering our financial constraints. 

Certainly, it's something to be considered but then as I mentioned to ForeverBlue there is a host of other factors you could look at if you want to go down that road like;

Hemmings is 24, he was 21 when he left - with a decent stint at Cowdenbeath and Dundee, he may have developed more since he was last here.

He was plagued by injury as I remember?

Ally was the manager and the shape of the team went out the window under him and many players failed to perform including much more experienced players.

Mr Warburton is recognised as being someone to get the best out of his players and he's took Forrester to the club despite mumblings about his mentality (I seem to remember he was frozen out at Doncaster?!), perhaps Warburton to get more out of him?

25+ goals in our league obviously doesn't directly correlate to success in a Rangers jersey but then neither does any other strikers record, for argument sake you would make the assumption that our manager and our style of play would get more out of someone that got 25 goals playing for Dundee.

If we have Garner, what does that mean for Waghorn? Miller? Would Hemmings price tag not make more sense considering each forward still has something to offer? 

The money saved.....CB

Obviously personal traits, mentality, how they would work with other players etc etc. all come into decision making regarding which player to sign and a lot more could yet be considered. The point was merely that considering what Hemmings cost as a 25 goal forward, Garner is quite a purchase price, especially when you consider the mantra of 'value', our seemingly tight financial constraints (you know what I mean, it's tighter than just about every year in the top flight since 1989?! maybe a few years after (only 30). He does seem to have a better head on him that most though and that's something I've been asking for.

Well made points. Thanks, and those are things that could have applied to Hemmings, on reflection.

21 hours ago, ForeverBlue1872 said:

I think thats an important point. Warburton often talks about players being 'right' for Rangers. We all know is there so much more involved in playing for us than other teams in they country. Players need to have the right mentality to handle it. Better players than Hemmings have struggled with us. Warburton will not have been blind to his scoring but clearly feels he falls far short in other areas.