Are we worrying too much about our defence?

Like everyone I agree that it does need improvement but are we concentrating too much on this?

I am more concerned that we have not had the slick attacking play we became accustomed to last year. It was mentioned in another thread that we are not feared but are we showing the other teams too much respect? I don't think the two deep midfielders suits our style. Let's get back to the if you score 4 then we'll score 5 attitude.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We do have a right to worry about the defence. We lost important games like vs Raith Rovers and Hibs because we couldn't defend Set pieces. Even the opposition getting a Corner is still cause for concern. 

However as it is a team game, all the blame can't be put on the defence. Yes Wilson/Kiernan should get criticized for leaking a goal but then the forwards should be criticized for not netting another 2 goals which is something we are very capable off. For example vs Hamilton we had 4 shots on target yet only 1 goal converted. That needs fixed. Garner will hopefully be a big boost to our conversion, as well as having Waggy back soon. 

But we can't blame all our losses on the defence because the offence is good enough and we have enough men who can score goals to get us back in the driving seat during games.

In saying that, the defence does need improvements to be more sturdy come set pieces and in particular with man marking and staying with the man. But for now, It'll hold.  

Tbh I do think we worry too much about it.

Yes it's a problem area but I think MW has put all his eggs in one basket and went out and bought a striker who can finish the chances we create, instead of going all out and shoring up the defence. I think were in for a rollercoaster season with plenty of goals conceded and many more scored.

I don't think he has neglected it completely I think Senderos will do the job but I think the major difference we will see is upfront with a striker able to finish the chances, which should make the games easier

The only team with the potential to challenge us this season is Celtic. They lost 2-0 to Hapoel Beer Sheva and 1-0 to fucking Lincoln Red Imps. Our players individually are fine, it's their communication that hasn't been good enough for a long time.

We beat them last season, if we can't beat them this season then it's the tactics and not the players. Sinclair is the only good player they have brought in, both Dembele and Toure have shown how pish they are, and they're only in the door. We beat them with the likes of Clark, Law, Shiels, Zelalem etc.

Including players who were injured last time around, the squad now consists of: Waghorn, Forrester, Rossiter, Windass, Barton, Garner, Kranjcar, O'Halloran, Dodoo, Crooks etc. To say that the playing squad hasn't improved tenfold, would just be lying. It's up to Warburton to make the right team and tactic selection. Something which I think he's failed to do in our first two league games. If he gets it right, we have the ability to win comfortably.

Our shot to goal ratio is embarrassing. If we put away half of the chances we had, we'd run amok. 

I'm more worried about finnishing teams off and taking our chances when they come. My concern is when the ball comes in the box who's in there to slot it home, against Motherwell especially (hopefully Garner does the business) The defence is a worry however and feel like the majority does that we need more strength in the centre half positions 

Had Foderingham not kept out those two chances, and both his saves were exceptional, then we could have lost that game, coupled with the chances they had in the first half where they could have got a 2-0 lead by half-time then we would have been talking about that defence all week. The CHs are plainly not good enough, certainly not together, and we have not prioritised this weakness. The midfield needed sorted, and we have made some, potentially, very good signings, but that central-defence is not good enough for Rangers.

I think we defend 'OK' ish but could be improved. However I tend to separate set pieces from this. Set pieces, we are a fucking bomb scare. Any team coming forward we can handle fairly ok due to midfield and tracking back but as said, set pieces, I despair.