UCL changes

Just now, psb07158 said:

From 2018, the top 4 leagues will have 4 automatic places in the UCL. Currently that's Spain, England, Germany and Italy.

Farcical

Money talks.

CL has been bullshit for years now and it's the same games over and over again but it get's the viewers and sponsors so it will not change.

Clubs like our and from other minor European countries will suffer big time as less and less of us make it to the groups where the big £ is.

I personally think it will be a huge ask to get in the CL groups again.

7 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Money talks.

CL has been bullshit for years now and it's the same games over and over again but it get's the viewers and sponsors so it will not change.

Clubs like our and from other minor European countries will suffer big time as less and less of us make it to the groups where the big £ is.

I personally think it will be a huge ask to get in the CL groups again.

They might as well just make it an invite-only closed shop. It's the way it's heading. 

Fucking garbage. 

Shocking.

Finish 4th in your league and go straight in whilst teams from other countries who win their league have to qualify with even fewer spots available.

Money has fucked football and these greedy bastards wont stop until we are all excluded.

Shit like this just makes me thing a European league with the likes of us, Holland, Norway ect is the only route to go. So fuck if you are then banned from UEFA competitions, they wont be inviting us soon anyway.

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

They might as well just make it an invite-only closed shop. It's the way it's heading. 

Fucking garbage. 

It shouldn't be called the Champions League for a start.

If you win your league then you should go into the group stages regardless.

8 minutes ago, Banner said:

Shocking.

Finish 4th in your league and go straight in whilst teams from other countries who win their league have to qualify with even fewer spots available.

Money has fucked football and these greedy bastards wont stop until we are all excluded.

Shit like this just makes me thing a European league with the likes of us, Holland, Norway ect is the only route to go. So fuck if you are then banned from UEFA competitions, they wont be inviting us soon anyway.

The problem with that is you need unity amongst the other clubs. A European league with:

Rangers
Celtic
Aberdeen
Ajax
PSV
Feyenoord
Porto
Sporting
Benfica
FC Copenhagen
IFK Goteborg
Malmo

^^ would be incredible. Interest from various countries, massive clubs and excellent competition for the title. Then have relegation/promotion in a play-off style setup from national leagues which we've left (2 down every year) so you get 2 new teams every year and freshen it up a bit. 

Total pie in the sky stuff though :lol:

It actually got pretty close back in the early 00's. UEFA where that worried about they agreed to revamp the UEFA cup in to the piece of shit it now is in order to try and close the gap with the Champions League. 

I think the UEFA competions have had their day as far as clubs like us are concerned. Europa League is a piss poor substitute for the Champions League. 

A league containing the teams you mentioned, and you could probably add more as some French teams would probably be interested (not PSG obviously) would have huge commercial and tv interest. UEFA would quickly change its tune when the money started rolling in as well.

I think this is a real possibility in the next 10 to 15 years.

So the top four countries go from 11 guaranteed group places plus 5 play offs to 16 guaranteed group places.

This year they managed 14 places, so the new rules would have excluded two "lesser" countries a place at the top table.

Personally, I would have preferred they just expanded the groups, but clearly this meant spreading out the money more - a no no to these money grabbing clubs.

2 minutes ago, Shuggy said:

So will these changes be enough to push the Dutch, Portuguese and French FAs into action? I doubt it.

Fuck the FAs... will it be enough to push the clubs. If we have to break away from UEFA and the respective FAs so be it. 

From looking at the teams who qualified this season, these changes are been tailored to suit one country. Italy and corruption just doesnt seem plausible :pipe:

Spain - Barca, Real, Sevilla, Atlectico
Italy - Juve, Napoli
Germany - Bayern, Dortmund, Monchengladbach, Leverkusen
England - Arsenal, Man City, Leicester, Spurs

Bastards. A football revolution of some kind is needed. 

850 Million odd people live in countries that play in UEFA competitions. Of that 240 Million odd people live in Spain, Italy, Germany and England and get favourable treatment, the other 610 odd million get the leftovers. 

Need to leave the 'big 4' to compete on their own and see what everyone else can accomplish without being suffocated by them. Need some kind of mass uprising against it. Even if it means the other countries operate as some kind of lesser alternative, in terms of financial value and playing quality. At least it'd be an actual, genuine, competition, based on sporting achievement, and there's alot to be said for that. I'd settle for it. It's what we're being dragged further from.

I can dream, anyway.

I see they're changing how the co-efficient is calculated as well:

Club coefficient system

A new system for the club coefficients: clubs are judged on their own records (deletion of the country share for individual club coefficient unless that coefficient is lower than 20% of the association's coefficient).

Historical success in the competition will also be acknowledged in coefficient calculation (points for previous European titles with a weighted system for UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League titles)

I rarely watch the CL outside the final these days, as it's the same boring shit every year. UEFA have pretty much ruined the competition with their greed and pandering to the bigger leagues. Even the likes of Porto and Benfica have had to go through bullshit qualifications and both have won European trophies in recent memory. 

Hopefully we can get some sort of Atlantic League up and running, as it's the only way smaller footballing nations are going to make enough money to survive.