*** Official Post Match Thread.***

BlueBearz1990

We were utter dross tonight and should have put two past them when they went to ten men. The tempo was far too slow, and we seriously lacked the final pass into the box. We should have beat Hamilton but the same issues were there in that game that we had tonight, which is worrying.

We've still got the potential to get on a good run up to Christmas. We've got Windass, Holt and Waggy coming back in. Also MOH potentially getting the nod and MW seeing sense and getting rid of starting with 2 CDMs (I think he will).

And if we get lucky and the new CB is a big improvement, and we find our shooting boots the results will start coming a lot more easily.

People on here are right to slate the start to the season, but you can't deny that if we could do two things - basic defending and converting more of the chances we create - we'd be a very, very different team. I don't think that's remotely unfeasible. I think we've got the personnel, but need MW to get the tactics and selection right. He's not done that so fa. If he does over the next two weeks things could be on the up very quickly.

If you told me at the start of the season it would take four/five games to find our feet, I might have taken that. Admittedly there's a lack of evidence it'll pan out that way, especially since we don't seem to be learning the lessons we say we will, but I'll hold off on calling for MWs head just yet like some on here. I personally thought the start to the season would be rocky anyway.

Glass half full loyal.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, the goal machine said:

You can have more than one defensive midfielder. And Barton was often at the base with players running by him no bother which has happened every game this season.

I'm aware  what formations exist in football.our whole team is always caught on the wrong side of an opponents attack  I'm slightly bemused as to why Barton is singled out more often than not.

Ok, too lazy to read all of the previous posts but I've been saying to the boys sitting next to me at Ibrox that Warburton has been found out. Last season the big tactical decisions were against Hibs and Falkirk. All 4 away games we got found out. IMO this season has been a repeat. All we've had to deal with so far is teams who will finish in bottom 6. if we play like those previous away games at I fear the worst at parkheid. 

Just now, BlueCafu1872 said:

No likes left but this spot on 

Mckay dropped into a cam position for around 10 mins and thats when he perked up a bit,id like to see him played there reguarly with forrester taking his place on the wing

Id like to see hodson replace wallace tbh ..

I don't think Barrie is a left-winger by any stretch yet that's the position he constantly plays.  If we had a proper left-winger in this team it could free up Barrie to play as a number 10 where he could be much more effective. 

10 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Warburton knows what to do if they are not performing and he hasn't done it. No team of ours should be allowed to put a performance like that first hour and get away with it , and its happened many times before. The buck lies with Warburton , nobody else.

Disagree. Managers, at times, and generally speaking, can get too much credit at times when things go well, and get too much criticism when it goes wrong. Football is a very simple game. It really isn't hard but I don't know how Warbuton can be held accountable for how guys like Wallace, Barton, Rossiter, McKay, Miller, Halliday etc are making so many basic mistakes.

Of course Warburton has the option to change the starting line up/make appropriate subs however if he had to base it on what he's seen I don't know if our squad would be big enough as he'd need to change about 7 or 8 players! And with injuries to Holt, Windass, Crooks, Wilson and Waghorn his hands are tied to an extent. Warburton, as I said has made mistakes IMO but football players get it far too easy, and it's always easy to hide behind the managers decisions. However, professional footballers, especially at Rangers, and especially players who DO have ability, must be held accountable for their own failings. They have all let themselves, the club and the fans down.........

2 minutes ago, kaiser1041 said:

I'm aware  what formations exist in football.our whole team is always caught on the wrong side of an opponents attack  I'm slightly bemused as to why Barton is singled out more often than not.

Because he's talked a big game and hasn't lived up to it. 

14 minutes ago, West_Side said:

To be honest the whole Warburton era is beginning to look like a false dawn. We've been mostly shite since Christmas last year.

Unfortunately it is starting to look like that, but I do hope we are wrong. He comes across as so informed, speaks well and enthusiastic but can he motivate the players ? I am not sure now if he can because it looks like we do not start playing until we are either behind or when the second half starts.

3 games this season we start the game with 90 minutes to score a goal to collect the 3 points and by halftime we leave ourselves with 45 minutes to score twice the get the points. Once we did it with a minute to spare and twice we have dropped two points, we are in danger of being too far off the pace at top of the league for any improvement in form to be too late.

The prize at the end of the season is much much bigger than it was last year and it's showing on and off the pitch. The players and the management need to step up and show us they can handle the extra pressure and start playing the way we know the team can play. Another factor may be that last year we really had a squad of (let's face it) pretty much nobodies in football terms. Now we have a some big names in the dressing room this could have altered the ambience, Not that I'm blaming the Bartons and Nicos for that, but it may have had a negative effect in some way. Whatever is done it we will need to be at our very best if we are to get anything out of the game on the 10th. 

1 minute ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Disagree. Managers, at times, and generally speaking, can get too much credit at times when things go well, and get too much criticism when it goes wrong. Football is a very simple game. It really isn't hard but I don't know how Warbuton can be held accountable for how guys like Wallace, Barton, Rossiter, McKay, Miller, Halliday etc are making so many basic mistakes.

Of course Warburton has the option to change the starting line up.make appropriate subs however if he had to base it on what he's seen I don't know if our squad would be big enough as he'd need to change about 7 or 8 players! And with injuries to Holt, Windass, Crooks, Wilson and Waghorn his hands are tied to an extent. Warburton, as I said has made mistakes IMO but football players get it far too easy, and it's always easy to hide behind the managers decisions. However, professional footballers, especially at Rangers, and especially players who DO have ability, must be held accountable for their own failings. They have all let themselves, the club and the fans down.........

The very least the manager and the support deserve from the players is 100% effort and fitness for 90 minutes. I agree we have some good players , but they are not giving that 100% and the manager knows it . If he allows it to go on , he's the one getting the bump at the end of the season , not any of them. He also bought all of these players and trains them every day, he also thought it a wise move to give Kieran an extension on his contract which to me was fuckin unbelievable.

Its his job on the line and he better get it sorted , he's known the defenders he signed are garbage.

24 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

If only Boyd didn't score from exactly where our right back should have been

He had two centre backs marking him and somehow lost both and out paced them then hit a decent shot that was still close to wes, wouldn't blame tavs positioning

We lacked directness and urgency but the manager doesn't trust MOH.  I think we are too consricted playing to set patterns.  Risk averse and predictable. MOH stared off skinning folk but has gone into his shell as he can't be himself 

People finally catching on to the arrogance / stubbornness / naivety of someone who says "We don't need Plan B. We just do Plan A better."

That's all well and good if you are playing a fluid 4-3-3 with Messi, Neymar and Suarez up front or, more realistically, Mols, Arveladze and Caniggia. (we have Miller, winding down to a coaching career, McKay who has never played in the top league before and AN Other). Or a decent defensive midfielder. Or a central defence that isn't a total collective bombscare. Or a team that actually has some central creativity (Niko excepted there is zero). 

"Do Plan A better?" No, not with a team full of hyped-up journeymen, never-have-beens and false promises, you don't. Tavernier is a diamond amongst the middens. The rest of the Warburton signings are seemingly out of their depth at this level.

Plan A is clearly failing.  We need pragmatism from the management. We need something resembling actual tactical management that is not just this fantastical system that worked mostly in the second tier. Or, to put it mildly, we are fucked.

Either hatch a Plan B or plan a return to Canary Wharf.

Tav going forward had a good game, rb mia, poor man's boughera/amo but should be utilised as more of a floating role. Krooks i believe will be used in defence and be good,  but without a carlos cueller esk ch i don't see how plan A, or plan A better will work. Too many many balls held up, or the allusive crosses we'be been crying out for, met by no one,    

15 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I don't think Barrie is a left-winger by any stretch yet that's the position he constantly plays.  If we had a proper left-winger in this team it could free up Barrie to play as a number 10 where he could be much more effective. 

Seen it a few times when he gets into a central position he makes alot of smart wee cut backs or feints and sends a player on his arse picks out a pass or pings it and scores a cracker ..