Management

black75

To my mind what has happened to our tiki taki style which 1 blew Dundee away & 2 had the tims literally shaking their heads??

We seem to be back to the super Ally style the 60/40 punt up the field hoping we might win the ball. Which is exactly as it is 60/40 in favour of defence.

Also do we really need 2 ball playing central defenders? I remember Harry Davis who's attitude was win the ball & a short pass to the guys who could do the damage. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people often forget Mark Warburton is still relatively inexperienced in management due to his actual age, I think he had the best but easiest job in Britain last year, he came to Rangers after our worst ever season in history, 3rd in the second tier of Scottish Football was disgusting, he ran Rangers properly and as you'd imagine in that Division a Rangers team run properly would coast through it.

He has ripped up his own ideology this Season, he has filled the squad with a lot of experience and I feel it has upset the balance of the team, I hope we give him an opportunity to correct his mistakes, he's revolutionised how we play but we must keep in mind that it was in the Championship, like it or not the fact is the Premiership is a different animal and we won't get away with what we did last year.

12 minutes ago, Tom0411 said:

To my mind what has happened to our tiki taki style which 1 blew Dundee away & 2 had the tims literally shaking their heads??

We seem to be back to the super Ally style the 60/40 punt up the field hoping we might win the ball. Which is exactly as it is 60/40 in favour of defence.

Also do we really need 2 ball playing central defenders? I remember Harry Davis who's attitude was win the ball & a short pass to the guys who could do the damage. 

Exactly.

The issue isn't the lack of a Plan B or a unwillingness to change imo.  The issue is that we have become ineffective at executing our own plan A, drastically tbh.

I welcome us mixing the play up with a few direct back to front passes but we have completely stopped what was great to watch, exhausted opponents and ultimately created chances.  We have stepped up but I'm not sure thats the issue.  

Protecting the ball was pivotal, all of a sudden we are giving it away cheaply and frequently.

Having said that the real issue is the cheap openers we are conceding, get our noses in front I do think we may relax and start to play how we can.  I am fully supportive of MW however the slackness at the back is becoming hard to defend (pardon the pun).

On a side note 2 pens for me tonight also turned down, doesn't help.

15 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

I think people often forget Mark Warburton is still relatively inexperienced in management due to his actual age, I think he had the best but easiest job in Britain last year, he came to Rangers after our worst ever season in history, 3rd in the second tier of Scottish Football was disgusting, he ran Rangers properly and as you'd imagine in that Division a Rangers team run properly would coast through it.

He has ripped up his own ideology this Season, he has filled the squad with a lot of experience and I feel it has upset the balance of the team, I hope we give him an opportunity to correct his mistakes, he's revolutionised how we play but we must keep in mind that it was in the Championship, like it or not the fact is the Premiership is a different animal and we won't get away with what we did last year.

agreed 

The league will be long lost before the majority waken up. Warburton has no plan b whatsoever.  Never has. We haven't played well for months, the OF saved Warburton. SSomething is severely lacking in our squad and the root cause is the manager,  folk want to realise we just got played by fuckin Killie and open their eyes. But they'll just sing his song while crossing their fingers

I don't mind that Warburton has some experienced players.  We only have 5 guys over the age of 30: Gilks, Hill, Barton, Kranjcar, and Miller.  I think the experienced players should be used sparingly rather than all lumped in at the same time and getting the full 90mins. 

When Warburton arrived the whole situation changed for the better.  Off the field as it were he has been outstanding.  A great speaker without going OTT etc.  First half of last season we ran riot.  It was new and exciting.  I said at the time playing like that we will lose goals but score more.  At the halfway stage the other managers realised we never changed plan A.  Plan B was just plan A with a change in personnel at 60 minutes (on the dot).  The second half of last season was much harder as results proved.  I loved putting the tims out the cup but we were lucky on the day.  I feel that was actually bad for us throughout because many thought we had reached a great turning point.  Subsequent results have shown that to have been a very false dawn.   Never won another game after that and this season's start has been woeful.  Not out of August and any feint hope we had of really challenging this season has already gone  I have been dreading the tims game and I will not be watching it as I will end up smashing my TV or PC or whatever.  If Warburton doesn't do something in the next 14 days then he will be gone by Christmas.  4 3 3 is fine if you are Barcelona  but we certainly aren't.   Crap teams like Mwell, Accies, Dundee and Killie give us a hard time when they play what looks like a 4 5 1 formation.  We huff and puff down the wings making no inroads.  On current form we will be lucky to finish in the top six.

5 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

Anyone else would have been gone by now. I am losing faith quickly in Warburton. We are too one dimensional. We cannot allow where we have been to change the way we judge our managers and board.

:lol:what a tit that first line is baffling ya wee poof

Calm doon FFS, we are four games into the season, have not lost a game yet and the hounds are baying for blood already.

MW can only buy the players that fall within the budget he has been given. 43k season tickets sold and DK and co said they would spend whatever was necessary to get the right players in for us to be competitive this season and how much has he spent? 2/5ths of fuck all and now its the management teams fault.

The team that was on the park both against Motherwell and Killie were, on paper, capable of tearing both of them new ones, but they didn't. Because they didn't play the way they were supposed to, slack passing even worse shooting, could not control the pace of the game and panicked when put under pressure. That's down to the eleven players on the park, no one else.

3 hours ago, NixonRFC said:

Factual and much less emotive than some of the panty wetters, trolls and taigs currently posting on RM.  We've lost the crispness and I'm not sure if that's cause the balance, as you say, is upset or better opposition.  Tend to lean to the former but still have confidence we will settle, I guess too many people who believe NO SURRENDER is just words.

3 hours ago, Willis said:

The league will be long lost before the majority waken up. Warburton has no plan b whatsoever.  Never has. We haven't played well for months, the OF saved Warburton. SSomething is severely lacking in our squad and the root cause is the manager,  folk want to realise we just got played by fuckin Killie and open their eyes. But they'll just sing his song while crossing their fingers

Very good post pal (tu)

8 hours ago, BF2 said:

We're 4 games in. Give him a chance to change and give the new players time to gel. The international break is the perfect opportunity to try new things. If we're still saying the same things in 2/3 months time then we should start to have serious doubts.

Finally some sense.. Some of the comments on this thread are fucking ridiculous. 

9 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

Anyone else would have been gone by now. I am losing faith quickly in Warburton. We are too one dimensional. We cannot allow where we have been to change the way we judge our managers and board.

Really?  McCoist lost 15 points and handed the title to the pond scrapings.  He was still there for the following season and there were still those who would not hear a word against him.

2 wins and 2 draws so far which could have easily been 4 draws if we are being honest is just not good enough considering who we have played. Still have a lot harder away game to come. We needed maximum points going into the Tim game to put pressure one them, but already the game is freebie for them. We wil get turned over as MW will not know what to do. Aberdeen away after that as well, by the end of September I can see everyone having a very different outlook on our management team.

Celtic will drop points and we will always have been liable to dropping points. However a running start was something most of us wanted to see. Should have been sitting top with full points but we aint, so toughen up, buckle down, lets go.

Calling for Warburton to go at this point makes us look silly. 

In all honesty it was always going to be like this, this season(inconsistent results) We have just came up, reshaped the squad and dealing with slightly better teams. People(including myself) where expecting us to win every game with exception of the scum away and maybe Sheep and Hearts. My only issues are the way we are playing has severely dropped in tempo and the the Central defensive issue has in no way been rectified.

People may not like it but this is ultimately part of a bigger picture of building towards winning the league next season. I still have no doubt we will finish no lower than second(which for this season only I will accept with a heavy heart).

We have been pretty poor for a lot of the games so far but at no time have I thought we would lose any game.  

Warburton needs to realise that Miller is not a Starting 11 player anymore and the midfield needs to have the same dynamism as last year.  Windass/Waghorn plus atleast one better centre half in that team will make a massive difference(providing they come in for the right players).

Warburtons stubbornness to change things makes the oppositions manager job an easy one.

4-3-3 - check

Pass the ball side to side, backwards then side to side again - check

Short corners that end up back in our own half or even at our keepers feet - check

Every blue jersey back to defend set pieces yet non existent marking and looking like conceding every time - check

Refusal to make changes early in games when its clear its going to be 'one of those days' - check

A big worry for me is that he is so hell-bent on playing a 4-3-3 that he has every team at every age group playing that way, so its not just at first team level where every opponent knows how to line up against us.

2 hours ago, bluenose48 said:

Calm doon FFS, we are four games into the season, have not lost a game yet and the hounds are baying for blood already.

MW can only buy the players that fall within the budget he has been given. 43k season tickets sold and DK and co said they would spend whatever was necessary to get the right players in for us to be competitive this season and how much has he spent? 2/5ths of fuck all and now its the management teams fault.

The team that was on the park both against Motherwell and Killie were, on paper, capable of tearing both of them new ones, but they didn't. Because they didn't play the way they were supposed to, slack passing even worse shooting, could not control the pace of the game and panicked when put under pressure. That's down to the eleven players on the park, no one else.

We have the worst three central defenders in the league. Bar the scum, we were shite near the end of of last season, shipping three goals a game and have started pish this season. King has no money. He is using ST money, but we remain to have the second largest budget by far in this league. Many from last season are just not good enough to mount a challenge in this league, but MW insists on playing them. Killie are dross, as are Hamilton and Well and we have struggled. It may not be cause for panic, but cause for worry, very much yes. We may yet click and get a wee run, but as long as MW picks the same old faces and doesn't totally replace that excuse of a defence, we are winning nothing. If I was MOH sitting watching that shite, I'd be off and MW is getting to the point where decent honest players will start losing respect for him and if that happens, just watch us get pumped by dross. This needs turned around and quick and it won't change by picking the same players hoping they will click.

1 hour ago, saintbob1969 said:

Celtic will drop points and we will always have been liable to dropping points. However a running start was something most of us wanted to see. Should have been sitting top with full points but we aint, so toughen up, buckle down, lets go.

Calling for Warburton to go at this point makes us look silly. 

Our play is making us look silly and persisting with the three most untalented central defenders in this league is embarrasing.