Management

black75

Just now, Reformation Bear said:

The Support in general understandably is looking for 55 this season.   MW knows this.  DW will know this better than many of the management / coaching staff.  King knows this and the Board knows this.   Players like Miller and Wallace know it too.

But if King has agreed with MW that not winning 55 this season is ok and that all he has to do is ride out the pressure and somehow still deliver a shot a European football (and maybe a domestic Cup to soften the blow) then what we see is a squad in the making but with limited ambition for this season.  With time being taken for MW and the team to get the temperature of playing in the top flight and the real push is next season when King might feel he can spend some money or raise some via investment methods.   Is that it?  Is that the unstated plan they are working too?  Just ride out the mounting tension and pressure from the Support and it'll be all right at the end of the season if we win a European slot?   If that is the underlying thinking then it is (imo) very far from the traditional expectation at Rangers.  

Walter - and even (dare I say it) Ally - both referred to the need to be competitive quickly when we returned to the top flight.  I always took that to mean assembling a side capable of winning 55 at first ask or if not to have shown to the Support that they busted a proverbial gut in trying to do so.   But this current management / tactical approach and performance of the squad leads me to conclude at present that no such gut is being busted for the Support.  No, its looking more and more like a 'project' with a longer timescale attached to it with an unstated message from King to MW to just ride out the pressure storm that will brew if results do not deliver sustained winning streaks.

I didn't expect us to challenge over the season, I expected us to have a higher peformance ceiling than the other teams but fall short due to consistency over the course of a long season. What I didn't expect was the glaring problems from last season that even the happy clappers could see fail to be adressed and actually worsen this close to the end of the transfer window.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, black75 said:

When does patience start to run out, the failure to address the defence at this stage is laughable. Pass pass pass then go back, midfield too lightweight and no pace. This squad won't be top 6 never mind challenging for titles or cups. 

The fickleness is amazing.

Literally Warbs was the 'best thing since sliced bread' recently to now a comparison to Super Ally (for some reason so hated).

I struggle with how impatient we are both with young players (already starting on McKay after a few bad games, short memory how great he's been) to now pressure on the manager.

Ok i get it - we should be winning against Killie every day of the week but we didnt and it doesnt mean the end of the world. long season ahead - we aint going to win it but we wont be far away.

Need to realise how far we've came and appreciate the bigger picture.

WATP

3 minutes ago, seb1972 said:

Literally Warbs was the 'best thing since sliced bread' recently to now a comparison to Super Ally (for some reason so hated).

I struggle with how impatient we are both with young players (already starting on McKay after a few bad games, short memory how great he's been) to now pressure on the manager.

Ok i get it - we should be winning against Killie every day of the week but we didnt and it doesnt mean the end of the world. long season ahead - we aint going to win it but we wont be far away.

WATP

The bigger picture of challenging hearts and Aberdeen for for 2nd place?

That is where we are heading and its not the rangers way to accept mediocre. 

Just now, seb1972 said:

WATP

see if we outplayed the opposition for 99 minutes and just couldn't get a break or came up against a world class goalkeeping performance you wouldn't see the reactions we are seeing now. 

drawing 1-1 is a shite result but people are not fuming at the result so much as the performance. It is unacceptable and is a continuation of a run of form that saw us stutter over the line last season and lose a cup final. 

1 minute ago, seb1972 said:

WATP

I've been very consistent, along with quite a few others going back to early last season about problems that still haven't been addressed. Each and every week since then new lines get drawn in the sand and new excuses get dragged out by some with their head in the sand. 

There undeafeated, you would think we've lost all four games. 

Suspect the tactics he's adopting just now is due to the ceptic game.

Rangers have never been a club that makes knee jerk decisions, Warburton deserves his chance to help continue the great work he's started. 

Our set plays are just as bad as under McCoist, we still can't take throw ins, we struggle to have any real impact in the final third.
Warburton is very Wenger like in his stubbornness or arrogance in sticking with plan A, it doesn't work. We are too slow in our build up, there's no intensity to our play. We play 3 in the middle and regularly go missing middle to front.

He's not learning from his mistakes. He's been given the transfer budget needed to rebuild the squad. Yet we're standing still. It's not good enough.

8 minutes ago, seb1972 said:

WATP

McKay has only ever been great in a second tier,can't beat a man , crossing is woeful and too say we won't be far away I'm not so sure, could be 7 behind after 5 games. 

1 minute ago, Howsitgoing said:

There undeafeated, you would think we've lost all three games. 

Suspect the tactics he's adopting just now is due to the ceptic game.

Rangers have never been a club that makes knee jerk decisions, Warburton deserves his chance to help continue the great work he's started. 

When is it going to sink in for you that it isn't just about the start to this season and that it's a continuation of the form we saw in the torrid second half of last season

Anyone who seriously wants him gone needs a good slap.

However he has to show that he's not a one trick pony. After 4 games it's clear the current formation and tactics aren't working. IMO he has to show some balls and make radical changes. Actually learn from his mistakes instead of just saying it.

Just now, BF2 said:

Anyone who seriously wants him gone needs a good slap.

However he has to show that he's not a one trick pony. After 4 games it's clear the current formation and tactics aren't working. IMO he has to show some balls and make radical changes. Actually learns from his mistakes instead of just saying it.

I'm happy to take that slap mate.

Fed up of the same mistakes and the inability to address the fact it's not working. It's not new and its not going away without action being taken.

Fuck knows who we would go for but if he can't change he can go. 

Cnts oan here greetin aboot the management/squad/board are the reason ah don't go tae games anymore, whit age are they ? Ah bet the average is aboot 25.

Get f'kin real, every team in this league will raise their game against us this season, why ? Because we're "The Rangers" will killie/m'well/dundee/hamilton et al, play like that against the rest ? No f'kin chance.

I am well aware that second isn't good enough for The Rangers, but we have to accept that, for this season anyway, we are far from the finished article and that this season is going to be a massive test, so get behind the players, any success we have this season is going to be a bonus.

1 minute ago, theclothmonster said:

When is it going to sink in for you that it isn't just about the start to this season and that it's a continuation of the form we saw in the torrid second half of last season

The difference he made to Rangers from the offset has been immense. Granted the teams performances hasn't been great but he deserves his chance to show how far he can take his team in this league. You can't deny that in all of the games they have been far the better team, just haven't capitalised enough. 

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I'm happy to take that slap mate.

Fed up of the same mistakes and the inability to address the fact it's not working. It's not new and its not going away without action being taken.

Fuck knows who we would go for but if he can't change he can go. 

We're 4 games in. Give him a chance to change and give the new players time to gel. The international break is the perfect opportunity to try new things. If we're still saying the same things in 2/3 months time then we should start to have serious doubts.

2 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

So would you sack him right now?

I wouldn't sack him now no, but I'd be having boardroom level chat to say if your hanging your hat on playing 4-3-3 when it's clear it's now flawed then your on a shaky peg. 

Say we lose old firm game and Aberdeen game, we could be ten points behind be October. Then he has to go.