Reaction From the manager

KingKirk

As MW says "our plan B is to do plan A better".

Well just now that's  obviously not happening for whatever reason, and hasn't since last season. MW needs to address this and I think his only option is to have a tactical plan B that changes the formation. If a team knows how to play against our formation then we struggle to deal with it, change it about,  mix it up, anything to stop teams knowing they just have to play one way against us.

I think by mid October is a time to decide if we are moving forward or not because we do have new players that are settling in, it's a step up in quality that the players are facing from last seasons Championship and is taking time for them to adjust, and every team has ups and downs during a season, hopefully we're just getting our down out the way early and we have no more the rest of the season. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the team selection is the issue and not the formation.

Miller in a wide role, and consistently getting the midfield wrong has been the issue.

That midfield three is absolutely key to how we play, and we've been shoehorning players into it all season. He desperately wants to play Halliday, Kranjcar and Barton - but shoehorning those guys into the team (with differing levels of persistence) is costing us our style of play.

The same could be said for Miller up front actually.

17 minutes ago, thehost said:

he is wired to the moon

I can only hope this car crash interview is nothing like what goes on behind closed doors. He was bumming up clint hill ffs

Absolutely clueless , said last night he looks as though he will crack under pressure and if he loses against the scum he won't be able to handle the shit coming his way.

Wow.. Knives are out with you fickle bunch eh?  2 draws which I know we should do better and your predicting when the guys going to be sacked!! You couldn't make it up you really couldn't.

every season a team has a lull in performance and you guys really need to learn to deal with that. The international break has come at the right time for us and I trust the manager to get to the bottom of these below par performances. Lee Wallace for me is a shadow of last year,McKay as much as he's not shown will suffer from this unless moved upfront. I don't think we'll see Rossiter and Barton in the same starting 11 all season.

those banging on about o halloran- he has shown very little appetite since Jan. He had the argument of missing cup games etc but when he starts he's pish and when he comes on he's not aggressive enough to get the ball and drive at players like tavernier does.

his signing was a mistake.

kranjcar will be dominant in a 4 man midfield but I don't think 4-4-2 is the right way to play unless we play counter attacking long ball football which it looks like some of you want to revert to.  I know smith played that way and results wise it worked but fuck me we played shite stuff.  If we learn one thing from the upcoming Celtic game it will be the teams character and determination to get a positive result when your own fans are writing you off after 4 games

Just now, pcbear said:

The complete disappearance of our slick pass and move football when everyone knew what they were doing (Dundee last season and the Tim semi) being the two most obvious ones is baffling.

We changed our style to suit Barton.............

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

We changed our style to suit Barton.............

We have gone from Barca to Barnet in seemingly no time at all, the football is unrecognisable from last season, Holt imo is a big miss Waghorn and Windass  will add more quality, but I never wanted to be scratching my head 4 games in thinking wtf.

How quick we turn!

step up in league - unbeaten - transitioning squad and many turning already on the manager. 

Parience ti build something is something our support lacks.

i said when MW came in all a Rrangers manager has to do is win - was shot down time and again with folk saying we had to build, take a long view but it comes back down to the fact the only philosophy a Rangers manager needs is to win every game. 

10 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

How quick we turn!

step up in league - unbeaten - transitioning squad and many turning already on the manager. 

i said when MW came in all a Rrangers manager has to do is win - was shot down time and again with folk saying we had to build, take a long view but it comes back down to the fact the only philosophy a Rangers manager needs is to win every game. 

you will be on here on the 11sept telling us what an achievement it is to only lose by 3 goals to the filth

2 minutes ago, thehost said:

you will be on here on the 11sept telling us what an achievement it is to only lose by 3 goals to the filth

And you have chucked in the towel already. No Surrender! But you have already capitulated! 

6 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

And you have chucked in the towel already. No Surrender! But you have already capitulated! 

chucking in the towel is ignoring our failings and carrying on as if everything is great

we are a shambles, we need money spent on a quality centre half not a free signing

we need a manager to take the idea that finishing second is not acceptable

we need a board to accept that finishing second is not acceptable

supporters like you, over the years, would have given us partick thistle songs, partick thistle politics and partick thistle success

20 minutes ago, pcbear said:

We have gone from Barca to Barnet in seemingly no time at all, the football is unrecognisable from last season, Holt imo is a big miss Waghorn and Windass  will add more quality, but I never wanted to be scratching my head 4 games in thinking wtf.

We haven't gone from Barca to Barnet in no time. We've hardly kicked a ball since back end of March. And that's playing against teams like raith rovers, st Mirren, QoS 

We've have a fundamental problem in the heart of our defence since MW arrived. It should have been the priority over the summer transfer market yet all that's happened is we've signed a 38yr who turns slower than a pint of milk and scrambling to sign a 31 yr old defender that no one else wants. 

That new share issue is a priority now. We need a major capital injection because we are miles short. 

Mw leaves Brentford and immediately they bring in a defence coach

Dw gets sacked by Sheffield Utd after leaking goals every week

we lose goals every week to the mighty raith,Livingston.hamilton

there seems to be a pattern emerging ,there both clueless in defence

What ever happened to "send the punters home happy" its a fukin long time since iwent home in that condition we are so predictable every team knows how to play us i think MW like Barton who was going to be the best footballer in Scotland have under estimated the game up here why would anybody sign the likes of C Hill an continue to play Miller if he gets beat with these bastards in a fortnight he will really feel the heat

54 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

How quick we turn!

It's really not been that quick at all. Very few people have questioned MW. He seems to have been given almost a free ride since the OF. The magic hat stuff hasn't slowed down and the vast majority have treated him like the messiah. 

But the truth is MW has been bang average since the turn of the year. The support has not turned yet but make no mistake if there is no improvement then we will. And frankly we have been going backwards rather than improving. 

I admire your consistency though BP9. 

29 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

When he starts Barton, Rossiter, Halliday and Miller against the scum and we lose it will prove he doesn't learn and will be the beginning of the end for him. 

And what if he plays these 4 and we win? Do we all calm down again. Not denying that we've lost something in our play just now, but a win against them could be the catalyst for us to kick on this season. 

9 hours ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Maybe he is realising what the rest of us have known for the last 4 months.

For me he's got his starting XI wrong for each league game.

The midfield, which last season was one of the highlights, looks out of sorts and I think he's getting the balance all wrong.

We do have the ability but the manager needs to use the players correctly and the players need to stop thinking they are on easy street.

Lots of hard work required.

One of the worst performers this season has been McKay .A guy with talent but for me ,he strolls about like he is Messi and Isn't willing to put in s shift to take us to next level .Wingers are constantly easy targets when they are in and out of the play .However I do think his casualness is contributing to a lot of our poor play so far this season .Needs to be dropped and improve significantly 

47 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

When he starts Barton, Rossiter, Halliday and Miller against the scum and we lose it will prove he doesn't learn and will be the beginning of the end for him. 

I can see this happening now as he is not learning .

When all the fans can see this in their Manager, bar himself ,it's usually the beginning of the downward path.

Would love to be wrong but our start to the season is  uninspiring at best .

Some will argue where we were ,I call it bullshit .Our standards have to be set as the Premier club in Scotland and for quite a while now ,he has not been delivering 

58 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I would it already is. Disjointed midfield aside, anyone persisting with the three most untalented central defenders in the league is an embarassment. We are a laughing stock as a consequence. He had the chance to change it in the summer and he managed to bring in one that is even worse than the two we already had. If he thinks any of those three are players, he is playing favourites, as a blind man can see they are dross, so definitely not the man for us.

King took the plaudits for bringing him in, I'll be interested to see if his fan club give him the shit, as we are not even coming second with that defence. This club cannot be be run on a shoe string and neither does it deserve to be. With 43,000 ST holders we deserve better and we need a board befitting our heritage, not so called Ranger's men with wishful thinking. I still await our coherent strategy, as a magic hat ain't cutting, as if it ever would.

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

That's my big fear, he just doesn't seem to learn from his errors.

MW says "we didn't look like Rangers".   He's said this before this season.   Has he been coaching the wrong team then?

Actually it does look like a certain Rangers.   It starts to look like an Ally Rangers of a couple of seasons ago.  You look at the squad, what they were paid, the training facilities, the size and loyalty of the Support and you wondered why they could play so badly so often against so many clubs many of whom fielded part time players.    In those days you shook your head in wonder at how inept we could be.   Ally paid the price.  McD then paid the price.   McCall then paid the price.  All because it was simply not good enough.  Nowhere near good enough.

Looking at the team league performances this season so far then it starts to look like a reprise of the Ally era could happen.   The thing is I don't see any real sign that MW can put things right quickly.   Sure he is ace at soundbites, candid enough on honesty of opinion, says the right things about needing to learn and so on.   But when it comes to actually translating all of the media-dazzling phrases into tangible improvements and performances........well that's falling way way short.

Consider this.  He has been the perfect Manager to get out of a tricky Championship.  But maybe that was his limit.   At present, despite (like Ally) assembling a squad of players that should on paper and in theory be 'more than competitive' (MW's own words) they are not.  And worse, 4 games into the season they are showing no signs of reaching a more than competitive mantle.  No credible signs whatsoever.

Like Ally he took the squad to N.America for pre-season.  Ally toured them all over the place with training interspersed with games.    The following season was a disaster - it was almost as if pre-season had been a bit too adventurous.    This season MW takes them to a single place in the USA.  Plenty of fitness work in the heat.  But only one competitive game.    He's swung in completely the opposite direction to Ally on pre-season stuff.   OK so there was the new league cup format to consider but that was known.   Seems to me that best use may not have been made of pre-season time to get a few more games in.   At present the team still look to me like they are still in some sort of pre-season mode.   Worse, the Manager does not seem to know how to remedy this quickly.

The OF game takes on massive significance.   If it goes well then he buys some time (and recovers some points).  If it goes badly, the scrutiny and pressure right up to the point of the business end of the season will be massive.    Just ask Ally, McD and McCall.    He should know what he has to do - but does he?.  So does King - but does he?