Should we drop Barton for the OF game?

Johnmon

15 hours ago, Johnmon said:

It is clear that playing both Rossiter and Barton is not working. Rossiter gets my vote despite being missing against Killie. Joey will be a liabilty and at risk of being sent off. Bench him for the best chance of taking something from the game? 

No! Laughable! 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

If it's a 3 it's got to be workers next to him, for example:

Forrester Barton Windass

In my opinion Barton and kranjcar don't have the legs to play together in a 3.

Windass hasnt played much, think MW will go with the usual suspects.

I just dont see him changing players or formation.

21 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

The thread I called you a bellend in? To be fair you did post in that thread. :541:

What your views on Tav now mate? :D

My view on Tav defensively didn't change until the Annan game. We had 80% of the ball and I thought he was very disciplined in his positioning in a match where he would usually be caught up the pitch a lot. He doesn't get turned as much so he's improved there as well/ Other than that his attacking threat is still his main strengths and we aren't going to see the best of him defensively until the CB's are sorted.

Barton must start. He will relish this game. 

He has frustrated me so far but now is his time to do the damage.

I think we should play Hodson right back and play Tav right mid. Tav is so vital for us but he offers so much going forward we are always fucked in defence. 

17 hours ago, wearethepeople1 said:

YES 100% Barton is pish, and I would bet my house on him getting sent off trying to be a hero. Put young rossiter in, it's just another game for him and would probably nail it. Barton is a loudmouth fud who thinks Scottish football is a walk onthe park. WAKE UP CALL JOEY. Get a fucking grip of yourself and smarten up or you and your shitey Twitter account can get to fuck ya 

Going down to 10 men must be avoided at all costs. Always results in a defeat for either team. Rossiter edges it for me. Cool and classy and will manage the fast tempo better than Barton. If we get some free kicks round their box,  Tav will have them shittin themselves

Tbh no.

That's not me admitting he's been great or anything but his experience and character could still be of use to us in that game.

What I would say, though, is that we are due a performance off him and if he doesn't deliver in the Old Firm game then I think serious questions will be asked and I'd be for dropping him after that.

19 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I'd rather have Rossiter for that game.  Barton has a real lack of pace and I can't see him catching some of the midfielders they have.  Plus, losing that game would give "Broony" the bragging rights over him which would be fucking embarrassing after all the talk.

Not actually getting in the starting 11 would be more embarrassing.

He'll start.

I wouldn't drop either of them for the OF game. My tactic would be to have Rossiter start as CDM, let Barton sit on the bench and read the first half of the game. I'd then sub Barton for Rossiter not long after half time.

Both are capable of CDM roles but, both get in each others way. I think doing it this way they both get the chance to do what their good at and it will confuse Celtic's defence as Rossiter and Barton have a different style when breaking up our opponents play.

I also think if Barton was on the starting sheet the whole game would be focused on a 'CleganBowl' between him and Brown.

16 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

I wouldn't drop either of them for the OF game. My tactic would be to have Rossiter start as CDM, let Barton sit on the bench and read the first half of the game. I'd then sub Barton for Rossiter not long after half time.

Both are capable of CDM roles but, both get in each others way. I think doing it this way they both get the chance to do what their good at and it will confuse Celtic's defence as Rossiter and Barton have a different style when breaking up our opponents play.

I also think if Barton was on the starting sheet the whole game would be focused on a 'CleganBowl' between him and Brown.

No disrespect but I think that's an awful idea and a waste of a sub.

I had a feeling you'd have this problem as soon as I heard you'd signed Barton.

Rossiter is a superior DM to Barton, but he's not great playing in a 2, unless he's specifically the defensive player. He's much better playing as the lone holding player, exactly where Barton wants to play.

You really can't play both of them in the same midfield, and while Barton has the reputation and was seen as a big signing, in that DM role Rossiter will see you have better results. 

You either muddle around trying to fit them both in, costing you points, or drop one and get better results, and as far as I'm concerned you improve your prospects both now and long term if Barton is the one to go. 

Stifling Rossiter to accommodate Barton would be a poor decision long term IMO

(Liverpool fan who's watched Rossiter for 4 years and came on here to give info when he signed for you, all just my opinion of course)

There is no doubt Rossiter is the long term player but Barton is a marquee signing and dropping him would hand an advantage to them before a ball is kicked. Problem is our midfield has been all over the place since the season started due to injuries and players being out of position. 

For me Barton has been played too far forward to accommodate Rossiter. Agree with other posters that the two cannot play together. I would play Barton in his natural holding position. We have really missed Holt, and Windass had a promising start curtailed by injury. Crooks, Windass and Holt wont play. 

I'd start with Halliday against them. The other position is tricky. Not sure Kranjcar has enough fitness to start so possibly Mackay or MOH could play there. Its been difficult for Warburton I think with the injuries there. 

On 27 August 2016 at 9:09 AM, Willis said:

Jock Stein was a pedophile harbouring scumbag and nothing more. When i see your response to this post ill respond to your daft OP. Tarrier wanker

Well spotted ... Letting ourselves down talking about this with a f*cking fud

On 27 August 2016 at 6:21 PM, K.A.I said:

Tbh no.

That's not me admitting he's been great or anything but his experience and character could still be of use to us in that game.

What I would say, though, is that we are due a performance off him and if he doesn't deliver in the Old Firm game then I think serious questions will be asked and I'd be for dropping him after that.

Really hope I'm wrong here but I think he'll choke.

I don't think he's done any favours with all the tweets, interviews about Brown not being in his league etc. If he wins the first battle like Halliday done in the semi then he'll stroll it.