English Football League to consider Celtic and Rangers

Ace

1 hour ago, born a blue nose said:

Just in time to stop them getting 10 in a row

same will happen to us though. we'll not be winning any premiership titles for a long time if ever again. i don't understand why anyone wants us to end up at the bottom of a league again and especially now that this one will be way bigger than scottish football. unless we get a shit load of money invested in us or a complete takeover then we will need to settle for mediocrity and that is not what this football club is about. 

if we had to start travelling down to england every other weekend then i would hardly go to anymore away games. not just because of the distance but the inevitable price hike for tickets. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i'm concerned we are a Scottish and British team. To leave Scotland (despite how horrendously we are treated by the SFA) would be selling out and chasing the cash in my opinion. 

The current proposal would lead to wilderness years, playing to half empty stadiums and being unable to recruit players for a long time. That in itself would hamper our progress and severely curtail our budgets. It would likely take > 7 years to reach the Premiership. 

The only way it would be fair and work would be for there to be a UK wide league, but I don't see that happening. 

37 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Why are we even being considered for this. Did we ask? If not, it shouldn't even be on the agenda.

I think the scum are pushing this more than us, seems to be that liewell has everything in place, wants to stay in Scottish cup, leave B teams in SPFL, contributing payments to the SPFL to help it grow etc etc

We have been too busy trying to restore our club back to the top and internal fighting while they cunts have had all the time in the world to plan which if you look at it, seems convenient that we are now back in the top and this has come up

2 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

As far as i'm concerned we are a Scottish and British team. To leave Scotland (despite how horrendously we are treated by the SFA) would be selling out and chasing the cash in my opinion. 

The current proposal would lead to wilderness years, playing to half empty stadiums and being unable to recruit players for a long time. That in itself would hamper our progress and severely curtail our budgets. It would likely take > 7 years to reach the Premiership. 

The only way it would be fair and work would be for there to be a UK wide league, but I don't see that happening. 

Britain is our country, moving to England is not really cross border anyway, more like moving from New York to Washington

20 minutes ago, one55 said:

same will happen to us though. we'll not be winning any premiership titles for a long time if ever again. i don't understand why anyone wants us to end up at the bottom of a league again and especially now that this one will be way bigger than scottish football. unless we get a shit load of money invested in us or a complete takeover then we will need to settle for mediocrity and that is not what this football club is about. 

if we had to start travelling down to england every other weekend then i would hardly go to anymore away games. not just because of the distance but the inevitable price hike for tickets. 

Mediocrity is the way we're headed by virtue of playing in the Scottish leagues. The gap between ourselves and 'power' leagues in Europe seized to be a laughing matter many years ago. Now you have Championship teams down in England who have significantly more revenue than us (purely because of the league the play in) and League One teams are pushing Scotland's wealthiest teams for signings. Even without admin, we've taken such a financial hit that you don't half see some utter dross pull on the shirt these days - that's mediocrity. That we can win championships in a two-horse race doesn't change anything.

The move is a long term one, but when you consider its pros/cons versus the long term pros/cons of remaining in the Scottish league, it's an easy decision for me. Either we get on board or fade away - a great name, but one folks only remember for what we used to be.

47 minutes ago, onefootwillie said:

I don't think it will happen but as it is an extra league with the English league looking for extra teams they just might consider us . I would have thought the biggest influence would be if the TV companies said there would be a large uplift in TV rights if both Rangers and Celtic were in the league 

The board need to look at the long term financial growth as well as competitive growth for Rangers future. 

Imho, I think if the 'Old Firm' brand was sold as a TV package it would be quite lucrative.  LeTV (Sina Sports) Paid Manchester United 5 million for the 2016-19 broadcast rights in Hong Kong, double of what they previously got. Imagine what they'd pay for 'The Old Firm brand'.  

We need to look for other sources of revenue, If our club sold an 'old firm' brand of merchandise.  It may help to bypass the void on our own merchandise problems. 

3 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

The board need to look at the long term financial growth as well as competitive growth for Rangers future. 

Imho, I think if the 'Old Firm' brand was sold as a TV package it would be quite lucrative.  LeTV (Sina Sports) Paid Manchester United 5 million for the 2016-19 broadcast rights in Hong Kong, double of what they previously got. Imagine what they'd pay for 'The Old Firm brand'.  

We need to look for other sources of revenue, If our club sold an 'old firm' brand of merchandise.  It may help to bypass the void on our own merchandise problems. 

It will be Interesting to compare the viewing figures of the game at the piggery and the manchester derby due to them being on at same time 

4 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

It will be Interesting to compare the viewing figures of the game at the piggery and the manchester derby due to them being on at same time 

I was thinking this myself.

I don't think it's a coincidence both games are being shown at the same time.

6 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

They would pay less than 5 million for 'old firm' rights. Man United are at the very top of the scale for tv rights sales and only Real and Barca would compete. 

One thing that could work is maintaining a presence in the SPFL (with European qualification available) and a team in EFL 4 (the 5th tier). Dual register some players and, initially, the 1st team plays in the SPFL as a 'second' team (development XI) work their way through to the EFL Championship. Then switch squads so the 1st team plays in the EFL (looking to the EPL) and the development team compete in the SPFL.

Almost certainly a non starter but the only practical way I can see it working. Had it been 4 years ago I'd have been all for it.

8 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

They would pay less than 5 million for 'old firm' rights. Man United are at the very top of the scale for tv rights sales and only Real and Barca would compete. 

One thing that could work is maintaining a presence in the SPFL (with European qualification available) and a team in EFL 4 (the 5th tier). Dual register some players and, initially, the 1st team plays in the SPFL as a 'second' team (development XI) work their way through to the EFL Championship. Then switch squads so the 1st team plays in the EFL (looking to the EPL) and the development team compete in the SPFL.

Almost certainly a non starter but the only practical way I can see it working. Had it been 4 years ago I'd have been all for it.

I think that would work, but it would be down to the board to sort it out, if the EPL votes the old firm into the league.

I would prefer to be in the second tier of a revamped European setup than the fifth tier down south. It could be a very long climb up that ladder.

Anyway I don't think Liewell would accept starting at such a low level, Ra Sellik are one of Europe's elite clubs up there with their buddies at Barca, doncha know?

10 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

It's pretty much what fc Vaduz do. They play in the lichtenstein cup and qualify every year for the Europa league. 

10 hours ago, Vanoli said:

Will never happen. Don't want it to either.

Scottish football is dead , it makes me cringe to watch a highlights package with tiny empty stadiums and the away supports at Ibrox are pathetic. Whatever the solution is for the old firm,  won't be found in Scotland. 

We need to swallow our pride off the field and collectively with the nappy rippers engage an investment banking / advisory firm to work the media rights companies. It's the only way it will happen. Our collective bargaining power is big. If we take the top 6, the old town and some of the better supported English teams, skilled business men could make it happen. 

Go for it - No Rangers or Celtic means part time football for the rest of the hateful bastards that tried to destroy us. I would love to see ǝpɐbıɹq uǝǝɹb ǝɥʇ try their shite in England, as for the fenian grip on the Scottish press......

Seems to be a few guys in this thread automatically assuming we would get massive investment of this actually took off.

Theres absolutely no guarantee of that happening and there's just as much possibility of us failing to gain promotion and getting lost in the lower leagues for a long time.

Also, if they want to add us because of the money and marketing opportunities the Old Firm games would bring to their league set up, what happens if we get split up and those games disappear for a few seasons again? Because that's not impossible either.