English Football League to consider Celtic and Rangers

Ace

Shaun Harvey, the English Football League chief executive, says that his members will decide whether Celtic and Rangers can join a new ‘fifth division’ planned for the start of the 2019-2020 season.

The 72 EFL clubs are being asked for their opinions on how the Football League expands to four divisions of 20 teams each, as part of the ‘Whole Game Solution’. The two Scottish clubs have long been considered a possibility for the new ‘fifth division’ and Harvey says the final decision will be down to his members.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/28/english-football-league-to-consider-celtic-and-rangers-for-inclu/

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with others, I doubt it will happen but this time they aren't replacing their own with us.

This time, it's a brand new league with extra spaces, a league thatan OF competing in will bring further media attention and lucrative sponsorship deals.

It's incredibly unlikely but ...

I'd go for it in a heartbeat. If we got into the football league with a passport to the premiership then the possibility of a big foreign investor becomes very real. 

We (and admittedly them) would be prime targets for Middle East/American investors 

it could transform us. I think the clubs down there would buy into it  - not all but most. It's the fa's and UEFA who will block it. 

having read the full article it says each division will be made up of 20teams so a decision will be made/ clubs asked where these new clubs should come from. Says both OF clubs would add clout to the set up.

Still don't expect it to happen least we are being discussed

This subject is always pie in the sky stuff along with the Atlantic league, not least because of UEFA rules on cross border leagues but stranger things have happened and the precedent is already set with the Welsh teams.

It's saying they want divisions of 20 between the EPL to D5. There's 92 clubs down to L2 at the moment so that leaves 8 additional places so no one loses apart from potentially 2 from the Vanarma National league but they'd still move 6 up so they could hardly complain. There would be a big financial incentive to any team who believed they would never reach the premiership themselves, which would be not far off over half out of the 92 Clubs. If it was a 50% vote to win we could scrape it.

Pie in the sky but a seat back at the top table of British football is no less than our great institution deserves. And if they say they can only take one we can join and Sellik could join the League of Ireland.

OK let's play along with it for a while.

A) do you think the English would vote both of us in, and do you think there should be seperate votes for both team?

B) if we were voted in, would you accept?   Do you think we would keep the same harcore traveling support making a 9 hour drive to the bottom of England for a tuesday game?  

C) Do you think we would fare well, do you think both the old firm could easily progress through the lowr leagues and at the very least get to the championship before things got tough?

D) if we went, would you expect a dramatic change in our budget, and the type of players we would sign?  do you think that some of the players we have right now would want to play in the English 5th division ( when I assume the possibility of Euro football at least swayed some decisions to come here.

E) Do you think they would ask us to move our grounds south of the border?

I am sure I'll think of more questions.

Would absolutely love it but I don't see how anything has changed. This is been on the table a few times and voted out convincingly - there's nothing new happened that will have made them think they've made a mistake from last time and a clamour to vote us in.

It always has been, and always will be a pipe-dream. Sadly.

3 minutes ago, gogzy said:

A) do you think the English would vote both of us in, and do you think there should be seperate votes for both team?

B) if we were voted in, would you accept?   Do you think we would keep the same harcore traveling support making a 9 hour drive to the bottom of England for a tuesday game?  

C) Do you think we would fare well, do you think both the old firm could easily progress through the lowr leagues and at the very least get to the championship before things got tough?

D) if we went, would you expect a dramatic change in our budget, and the type of players we would sign?  do you think that some of the players we have right now would want to play in the English 5th division ( when I assume the possibility of Euro football at least swayed some decisions to come here.

A - No because 2 English teams will lose out on a place in the new division to accommodate us.

B - No because I think it would actually be a huge step down in quality for us and we'd just fade into obscurity.

C - I don't think us or Celtic would get out of League 1 with our current squads and they could potentially become weaker and not stronger if we were to join "League 3" in this new set up.

D - I think we would struggle to attract players and probably lose a lot of the ones we have into the bargain.

E - No.

4 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

A - No because 2 English teams will lose out on a place in the new division to accommodate us.

B - No because I think it would actually be a huge step down in quality for us and we'd just fade into obscurity.

C - I don't think us or Celtic would get out of League 1 with our current squads and they could potentially become weaker and not stronger if we were to join "League 3" in this new set up.

D - I think we would struggle to attract players and probably lose a lot of the ones we have into the bargain.

E - No.

(tu) fair answers except number 1.  aparrently this is a new league set up with spare spaces for us ( sure I read that, but high as fuck so might be wrong :lol:)

7 minutes ago, gogzy said:

A) No we would be stronger as a package

B) 100% we would

C) probably take 7-8 years to get ourselves to a top end championship team.

D) most of our squad would walk it up until league 1level then a full rebuild would be required.

E) Look at Swansea and Cardiff so precedent already set.