Rangers WW1 Memorial

eskbankloyal

https://www.youcaring.com/frezenberg-scottish-memorial-park-639793

We are seeking to raise funds to build silhouettes as part of an extension of the Scottish Memorial at Frezenburg in Belgium. The silhouettes will represent Scottish soldiers marching to Passchendaele. The memorial remembers the Scottish soldiers who died in WW1 but our particular focus will be on honouring former Rangers player Jimmy Spiers who died at Passchendaele and also to remember the other Rangers players who lost their lives during WW1. 

A number of silhouettes will be funded to extend the existing memorial as part of a wider fundraising effort, but we are seeking to fund two. One will focus on Jimmy Spiers and one will remember the other Rangers players to lose their lives in WW1. The unveiling will be attended by representatives of Rangers and the club is aware of and supports this fund raising effort. The silhouettes will incorporate the Rangers crest and will serve as a focal point of remembrance for Rangers supporters to honour those who lost their lives. 

The two silhouettes are estimated to cost 7000 euros. We are raising additional funds in case the cost increases with any excess funds being donated to Erskine to be put towards the care of veterans. 

I am posting this fundraiser as an individual as I wish to personally see it through to completion but I am delighted to say that as well as support from Rangers we also have the support of Club 1872. Club 1872 has agreed to publicise the fund raising effort and to use their social media channels and email database to inform members of what we are trying to achieve. 

More information on the wider project to extend the existing Scottish Memorial can be found here http://www.longroadtopasschendaele.be/centenary-memorial-project/

More information on Jimmy Spiers can be found here http://jimmy-speirs.co.uk/13005.html

My Great Uncle was killed on 25th July 1917 six days before the attack on Passchendaele.

He was a Sargeant in the 12th HLI and he was ordered to take a platoon over the top and into the village of Verlorenhoek which is several hundred yards east of the Frezenberg Ridge.

Amazingly, he was aged 42.

After much investigation I am of the opinion that he and a number of his men were killed by a barrage coming from Ypres which was four miles behind his platoon.

This means they were probably killed by British Artillery.

The site of his death is now occupied by Aeroplane Cemetery. He is buried in Lijjsenthoek.

I hope to be at the centenary commemoration of the battle for the Frezenberg Ridge and will certainly be donating to this excellent project.

We all know of the heroics of the 36th and ulster division so its important to commerate  scottish regiments  also who we should never forget boths sacrifice.

My  great grandfather also served in the HLI (City of Glasgow reg) and spent almost the whole of WW1 in most of the major battles and made it back.

Donations from me on the way.

No surrender.

Great cause.Not a criticism,however surely the club could back this request with the relative small amount of finance needed especially if representatives of the club will be attending an unveiling.Not simply left to ordinary supporters.