How much time should warburton be given?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what is clear is that the board want the club to be self sufficient (as any business would) but in order to get to that stage you need investment. There has been investment but I believe we've ended up trying to get into Europe on the cheap and look to get money that way. Is Warburton part of this plan or is it simply having to deal with it?

In saying that this isn't the only issue. We have a squad that isn't progressing and certainly isn't learning despite us being fed that line after every shite display. The reaction from the squad on Saturday against Ross County must be big and must be absolute. The same goes for us. We need to make Ibrox as intimidating as possible and hope the players can match that.

Warburton should be given the season if just for the turnaround he was responsible for last year but it will become unbearable for him if we drop any more points in the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, MarvinAndrews said:

Am I missing something or have all the teams not played 5 bar Celtic and Partick who are bottom on 3 pts?

No. I'm a prick. I was reading off the league table posted on another thread after the game, so didn't include the other results on it. However, the downside is if we lose our next and the four teams below us win, we drop to 7th. Unlikely to happen, but that's how close it is.

2 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

King said he expected first or second, I think Warburton himself said he was looking at fist, if he can't deliver second he has to go at the end of the season, if it looks like we could be struggling for top three then he has to go by Christmas.

King will also have to go if he can't get the money needed to compete.

I would rather see Dave king go and Warburton stay.

I never had any thoughts about him leaving until today. About the style of play and his unwillingness to deviate from this. Sometimes you have to win ugly. I'm sure it was after a 1-0 away win at Aberdeen and Alex McLeish was interviewed and said something along the lines like: ''First let me get my side winning. Then we'll work on how we win''. I'm not sure Warburton has that ability to win ugly.

Then i read that we have only managed 2 wins in our last 9 league games...It's not looking good.

2 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

King said he expected first or second, I think Warburton himself said he was looking at fist, if he can't deliver second he has to go at the end of the season, if it looks like we could be struggling for top three then he has to go by Christmas.

King will also have to go if he can't get the money needed to compete.

Aye,mine in his fucking left eye.

3 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

I think what is clear is that the board want the club to be self sufficient (as any business would) but in order to get to that stage you need investment. There has been investment but I believe we've ended up trying to get into Europe on the cheap and look to get money that way. Is Warburton part of this plan or is it simply having to deal with it?

In saying that this isn't the only issue. We have a squad that isn't progressing and certainly isn't learning despite us being fed that line after every shite display. The reaction from the squad on Saturday against Ross County must be big and must be absolute. The same goes for us. We need to make Ibrox as intimidating as possible and hope the players can match that.

Warburton should be given the season if just for the turnaround he was responsible for last year but it will become unbearable for him if we drop any more points in the coming weeks.

A bit speculative I'd say. We have no idea what has been spent, nor do we even know if we have sufficient funds to see the season out. We have already been surviving on loans which will benefit individuals and not the club and the manner in which we got the last one was pure embarassment.

They took on this club on a wing and a prayer, knowing they didn't have the funds to take us forward and that's sharp business practice and criminal in my mind in the context of our club and the broken promises of king. We aren't in a million miles of the scum both on and off the park and scraping about in bargain basements will never close that gap. It was their duty to secure sufficient funding to challenge the scum by every means possible and generating profitable business streams. The only one we have of any value is ST sales. Well bravo! Their business acumen adds up to zero.

Current spending is nowt to do with living within our means but all about king maximising his investment at the expense of the fans. It is us who are financing these new spivs for the privilage. It is nothing short of betrayal.

There will be no closing the gap on the scum, far less a challenge for the foreseeable future with king at the helm.

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

I actually agree with you. I wasn't advocating his appointment, I just think it's the most likely one if Warburton does end up leaving.

as you'll no I was beating the drum for McInnes to get the gig before Warburton. I think he'd be a fantastic manager for us. He'd build a big strong robust team capable of winning titles for years to come. Does the appointment inspire me nope but he'd get the job done much like Walter did

10 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

as you'll no I was beating the drum for McInnes to get the gig before Warburton. I think he'd be a fantastic manager for us. He'd build a big strong robust team capable of winning titles for years to come. Does the appointment inspire me nope but he'd get the job done much like Walter did

Souness for me.Same reasons

8 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

In my opinion they've raised the bar by getting a proven Premier League manager in.

If Warburton does leave then that's the level we have to try and match and I don't think guys like McInnes & Neilson come anywhere close to it.

It's about how much time he gives himself. Not getting hammered by your rivals gives you more time. But 2 hammerings means your jackets on a shaky peg. He seems  oblivious to the fact that another 5-1 drubbing and a mid table placement means he will be out the door. 

If funding is an issue then he needs to be more public with that. It's his job that's on line after all.

6 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

In my opinion they've raised the bar by getting a proven Premier League manager in.

If Warburton does leave then that's the level we have to try and match and I don't think guys like McInnes & Neilson come anywhere close to it.

lets hope tony pulis is tied to a club should we look at a epl manager mate ges me the fear thinking about it

1 hour ago, KingKirk said:

his football is defence before attack. Maybe it would change coming to a lesser league but I'd rather not take the chance hahahaha his west brom team are the oldest in the epl.

So was Walters.  I would have taken any Walter Smith team going to cellic park over than 11 yesterday.

It would take a Le Guen style nose dive for him not to make the end of the season. The key is whether he learns the lessons from yesterday, picks on form and not on name. That goes for our performers last year and his favourites from Watford, as well as the new players with big names. 

For me the turning point in Warburtons reign was the Cup final loss, where Hivs pressed our back 4 and man marked everything in front of them and pretty effectivley neutralised the passing game that they couldn't live with last December. Every game since then teams have tried the same and there were long periods yesterday when we we pinned back in our own half and were forced into mistakes. We've got to get better at finding a different way to get up the park when the short game isn't working. I'm not saying we should abandon it but need to get better at 'plan b' either the ball into the forward to hold up or using the pace of MOH or McKay in behind.

8 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

his football is defence before attack. Maybe it would change coming to a lesser league but I'd rather not take the chance hahahaha his west brom team are the oldest in the epl.

We cant defend so he's exactly what we need.Plus he's a Gers fan ;)

4 hours ago, sausagetrunks said:

As i said before, it comes down to money and we ain't got none. King ain't going to back anyone. 

Couldn't agree more.  Whatever happens it's going to need money - to sort out our defence, to sort out any other weaknesses in our squad that may become apparent, and/or replace MW and back any new manager.  We don't have much at the moment unfortunately.

The only hope for me is that we already have enough good players in the squad (in fairness jury is still out on most at this level), they gel relatively quickly and we can put this start behind us otherwise this will be a painful season!

35 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I'm sure you know though that we don't have anything like the kind of funds required to bring in a top manager like a Rodgers etc