Wallace CB

gsa

I was on here roughly this time last year criticising Wallace and my post was met with widespread mockery. I suggested he was our weakest player. I should add I genuinely like Wallace as a man and he represents the club well. I respect him and he conducts himself the way a Rangers captain should. It's just my personal view that he's not a great player. Yes, he looked good last season but let's face it, we were Rangers in the championship. He should have looked good. He had precious little defending to do and was playing in a team who had the ball 90% of the time.

He's a powerful runner when he gets into his stride but in my opinion he lacks pace and in particular agility over his first few steps. Saturday was yet another example of how awkward and cumbersome he can be at times. 

All that being said....could he play at centre back? Hodson at full back and Wallace in the middle? Has he ever played there before? Theoretically he should be able to use his experience and be a calming influence over whatever one of our bomb-scares we play beside him? 

Wallace at full back against a pacey/tricky winger is just a disaster waiting to happen. 

Horrible defender. I'm in the minority but don't rate him, stand off people, goes to sleep, never wins anything in the air, isn't as fast as people make out and crucially isn't a leader

good player going forward but a weak link at the back. One Celtic tried to expose in the first 30 mins last weekend.

7 minutes ago, kris1984 said:

Horrible defender. I'm in the minority but don't rate him, stand off people, goes to sleep, never wins anything in the air, isn't as fast as people make out and crucially isn't a leader

good player going forward but a weak link at the back. One Celtic tried to expose in the first 30 mins last weekend.

Fair point. He's had some terrific games defensively last season, but not nearly enough imo. He doesn't seem to have any competition at all for his starting jersey, which I think has contributed to his regression. Even Hodson doesn't get a look-in, since he signed for us. Hope he can regain the form soon we all know he is capable of.

46 minutes ago, gsa said:

I was on here roughly this time last year criticising Wallace and my post was met with widespread mockery. I suggested he was our weakest player. I should add I genuinely like Wallace as a man and he represents the club well. I respect him and he conducts himself the way a Rangers captain should. It's just my personal view that he's not a great player. Yes, he looked good last season but let's face it, we were Rangers in the championship. He should have looked good. He had precious little defending to do and was playing in a team who had the ball 90% of the time.

He's a powerful runner when he gets into his stride but in my opinion he lacks pace and in particular agility over his first few steps. Saturday was yet another example of how awkward and cumbersome he can be at times. 

All that being said....could he play at centre back? Hodson at full back and Wallace in the middle? Has he ever played there before? Theoretically he should be able to use his experience and be a calming influence over whatever one of our bomb-scares we play beside him? 

Wallace at full back against a pacey/tricky winger is just a disaster waiting to happen. 

Worth a try, but I'd like to see a bit more of a dig in him to be a centre back, I would reckon he's faster than the other four centre backs we've got.

Last season was Wallace"s only decent season for us. He has always frustrated me. His weight and lack of fitness until last season showed what kind of football player he is, I think the gaffer thinks he is keeping us happy with his captaincy  

I hope young Hodson will be given his chance soon. 

Oh and it's a no from me re the CB position. 

Big no from me.His positional sense leaves a lot to be desired,defensively he isn't really that wonderful,he just does not have the temperament to shout and organise a defence and his heading is abysmal.His real quality is his link up in attacks and that has gradually declined this season.Hate to admit it but he is one I would look to bench for a spell.