Joe Garner

westenclosure2008

I know it is early in his Rangers career but I can't see what he is going to contribute. I really hoped he was going to be the striker to put all the chances we create away or used to create! His positioning and movement today was really poor. Add to this he looks slow, his touch isn't great and he seems to want to get involved in needless confrontations. He also doesn't seem to rotate like the others meaning Waghorn is constantly out wide. I hope he proves me wrong.

Whats your thoughts on him?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not his fault Warburton has him playing on the flank or that he got no service all day.

I feel sorry for him. He wasn't a priority signing and his fee was probably too much but that's not his fault.

Another baffling signing from Warburton.

From watching him from a few games, I can see his passion, he is always committed to everything he does, he's willing to fight for the team, something which many players don't have.

Technically, I've seen very little of him, whether that be a lack of service or not playing on the shoulder of the last man. I think it's too early to judge a player, but I noticed that he wasn't fluently interchanging with the front 3 today as you highlighted.

In short, he's not even played a handful of games, give him time.

You only need to look at clips of the goals he scored before coming and loads were headers or shots from crosses in to the box, something we don't do enough and won't with McKay and Waghorn as our two wide players unless they swap sides. 

In saying that, with us having very little cash, still seems daft to me spending that amount of money on a 28 year old. 

2 minutes ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

WOOOO LETS WRITE HIM OFF AFTER THREE GAMES WHAT A SICK IDEA 

I'm not writing him off just saying I haven't seen any potential yet. A few times in the first half today we got into good positions and he was nowhere to be seen.

Needs a run of games, also needs the others around him to create chances.

The worry is that I don't think he ever done well for consecutive seasons and he was sent from team to team except with Preston.

Doubt he'll ever be worth his transfer fee but that's not his fault.

Just now, Creampuff said:

One of the only players that bothers his arse and he's written off after a couple of games.

I swear half of our support fucking love us failing.

Just making an observation of a player. Do not wish to see Rangers or any player fail.

As for bothering his arse he very rarely pressed their defence today.

24 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

I know it is early in his Rangers career but I can't see what he is going to contribute. I really hoped he was going to be the striker to put all the chances we create away or used to create! His positioning and movement today was really poor. Add to this he looks slow, his touch isn't great and he seems to want to get involved in needless confrontations. He also doesn't seem to rotate like the others meaning Waghorn is constantly out wide. I hope he proves me wrong.

Whats your thoughts on him?

No striker can score if he's not getting any quality delivery. If you watch that YouTube vid (I know it was from 2 seasons ago but bear with me) if we can get that sort of service to him he should come good. 

I reckon it's about time we try getting more crosses into the box because walking it into the net clearly won't wash in the top teir. 

Edit: To labour my point, the goal against the filth is a prime example of what he could do with the right quality of service!

13 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

You only need to look at clips of the goals he scored before coming and loads were headers or shots from crosses in to the box, something we don't do enough and won't with McKay and Waghorn as our two wide players unless they swap sides. 

In saying that, with us having very little cash, still seems daft to me spending that amount of money on a 28 year old. 

Agreed.

It's baffling that MW chose to spend that much on a player who is going to be ill-served by the manager's obvious tactical preferences, but that's no reflection on Garner. Having to find space against a packed defence, waiting an eternity for McKay to stop to get the ball on his right foot, or watching Waghorn do nothing obviously sensible, will get frustrating fast.

27 minutes ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

WOOOO LETS WRITE HIM OFF AFTER THREE GAMES WHAT A SICK IDEA 

Took McCoist a year to start scoring, Garner hasn't had a full game.  The new Harry Forrester, written off after 5 minutes.  RM is fast becoming Rockets Media