Set pieces in training

OceanRain

Do we actually practice them?

I've just done a quick tally of the number of corners we've already been awarded this season in all competitions. 

10 games

103 corners 

The fact that we insist on playing these short and wasting the vast majority of them is criminal, in my opinion. I seriously cannot understand the thinking behind it. We just seem to be wasting a sizeable weapon in our armoury.

2 minutes ago, BlueboyG said:

I'll never understand the reason for a short corner as 9/10 times it eventually gets crossed into the box anyway, a corner or free kick is essentially a free ball into the box, if put in properly it can cause problems, we seem the only team unable to do this.

Agreed.

Think we must spend all our time practising how to turn being in an attacking position into a defensive one. We seem to have mastered that.

3 hours ago, Gandhi1872 said:

We've put a lot more in the box this season, especially yesterday. It's a waste of time putting it in the box anyway because nobody seems to want to attack the ball. 

Look at the difference yesterday between the RC back four and our front men. No point in high balls into the box. We should be playing it fast and low. Can only recall one good headed effort from Hill that was cleared off the line by the defender on the post. Was jumping up and down when Waghorn was taking corners.....he should have been in the box with wee McKay taking the corners.

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

Oh for the days of Jackson and Johnstone in there, and wee Tommy McLean and Davie Cooper putting in the crosses.............and even wee doddie Alex MacDonald was winning big games and cup finals with headers from pin point crosses......

Well said majority of today's players can't beat the first man.

Absolutely unheard of being able to curve a ball into a striker at a decent height and pace.

6 hours ago, BlueboyG said:

I'll never understand the reason for a short corner as 9/10 times it eventually gets crossed into the box anyway, a corner or free kick is essentially a free ball into the box, if put in properly it can cause problems, we seem the only team unable to do this.

Even Inverness got one against the scum today!

6 minutes ago, Juniorsparkie said:

Well said majority of today's players can't beat the first man.

Absolutely unheard of being able to curve a ball into a striker at a decent height and pace.

Could not agree more. A ball played at pace from a corner  just needs the slightest touch for it to be goal bound. 

Goalkeepers shit themselves when a ball is fired in hard and fast. It's criminal that professional footballers can't get a ball over the first man. 

We don't practice corners because we don't take them. 

7 hours ago, BlueboyG said:

Correct and it does my fucking head in!!

8 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Agreed.

Think we must spend all our time practising how to turn being in an attacking position into a defensive one. We seem to have mastered that.

It's not just corners

We had a free kick against the bheasts about 20 yards from their box in quite a dangerous position

We played a 3 yard square pass, they rushed out and closed us down and the ball ended up back at Foderingham 

2 mins later they get a fk in an almost identical position, fill our box with bodies and launch it in and nearly score

Its a complete waste of a set piece