Barton Suspended three weeks

derekweir29

I understand ppl are frustrated that this could run for another 3 weeks but it is probably required to go through the legal side of things , i remember it took chelsea a few weeks to sack mutu after he failed a drugs test , i dont imagine its something we can rush through incase we left ourselves open to a claim

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Actually think this is a strong, professional approach. 

If we'd sacked him we'd end up in a tribunal (likely losing). And folk like me would be slating the Board ?.

Think this protects us, will help the squad unity, and will ultimately lead to Barton walking away.

Not without the balance of his contract he won't.

If the board had grounds to dismiss him, I think he would already be gone, but they are pratted. No grounds to sack him and no money to pay him off. It's already been a week to review and determine if their are grounds for gross misconduct and dismissal without compo. Even our board aren't that incompetent.

As I alluded to in the other thread, It could also be that MW over reacted and this is the boards way of very badly backing him. Holding pattern, on a wing and a prayer, hoping for good news in our form.

He should have either been gone immediately or back in training today and the line drawn under this sordid affair. Leaving it the way the board did, we neither know if it's three weeks then review again, or three weeks and straight back to business in training and playing.

It is a decision that will only further attract all the wrong attention. It is the decision of a weak board not fit for purpose in my view, this one being one of many poor decisions.

There is no longer any winning in this for the club and if anyone is in a precarious position, it is now MW, as he now has three weeks to turn our form around, as there is no Barton to scapegoat and it is he who will be thrown to the wolves without a shadow of a doubt, not Barton.

Boards are nothing, if not treacherous. 

Employment law isn't as easy as "just sack him". There are normally so many hoops in the disciplinary process to jump through after establishing that a material breach has occurred before this is even an option. 

The employee is generally very well protected under UK law. 

How can people question the club or MW man management. Nobody knows exactly what was said in that meeting and who was right or wrong

ideally he would have came in today and both sides got it sorted and we move on but it's obviously something more serious for it to be another few wks down the line.

he will be gone in the January window. His agent will probably be looking for another club right now 

1 minute ago, ger4life_1872 said:

I understand ppl are frustrated that this could run for another 3 weeks but it is probably required to go through the legal side of things , i remember it took chelsea a few weeks to sack mutu after he failed a drugs test , i dont imagine its something we can rush through incase we left ourselves open to a claim

It's not easy to understand to be fair. Not everyone has experience in this field and those who do know that there are a number of processes to follow to ensure statutory and contractual obligations are met. The suspension and associated conditions imposed may well be a well set £2m trap that the club hopes JB falls into.

And if that's the case then I'm onboard with that.

Did I read somewhere that he had a book signing planned down south that clashed with one of our fixtures? I'm sure this was before everything kicked off. It is such a strange situation but I can't see him playing for us again the way things have played out

There's no question of whether we could have sacked him or not, he's a new employee who has no real protection in this, he can be dismissed and it cannot be unfair unless it's because of a protected characteristic. The only question is of what his contract would say to that, I'd expect it requires to be paid unless terminated for good reason and we're still pretty short on details of what happened.

Just now, KingKirk said:

I'd suggest that perhaps joey ain't telling the truth and he's set about a few a training maybe even the gaffer no danger you get suspended for a month for bad language absolutely no danger.

I think he maybe told Warburton he thought he didn't have a clue, i think its more to do with a clash between Manager and player than squad and player.

14 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Not without the balance of his contract he won't.

If the board had grounds to dismiss him, I think he would already be gone, but they are pratted. No grounds to sack him and no money to pay him off. It's already been a week to review and determine if their are grounds for gross misconduct and dismissal without compo. Even our board aren't that incompetent.

As I alluded to in the other thread, It could also be that MW over reacted and this is the boards way of very badly backing him. Holding pattern, on a wing and a prayer, hoping for good news in our form.

He should have either been gone immediately or back in training today and the line drawn under this sordid affair. Leaving it the way the board did, we neither know if it's three weeks then review again, or three weeks and straight back to business in training and playing.

It is a decision that will only further attract all the wrong attention. It is the decision of a weak board not fit for purpose in my view, this one being one of many poor decisions.

There is no longer any winning in this for the club and if anyone is in a precarious position, it is now MW, as he now has three weeks to turn our form around, as there is no Barton to scapegoat and it is he who will be thrown to the wolves without a shadow of a doubt, not Barton.

Boards are nothing, if not treacherous. 

Queue the anti board angle. :001:

I don't think we'll see Barton in a Rangers jersey again.

I suspect this might have been different except for Joey making a statement on Twitter & subsequently appearing on TalkSport, essentially criticising both the management (essentially repeating the reason he was suspended to begin with) and also the club.

Not sure what folk expect them to do ... let him away with it would show really weak management to the rest of the players & possibly embolden Joey into believing that he has carte blanche to say what he wants when he wants to, it would also harm team harmony which was a very big part of the reason behind our previous success IMO.

Pretty sure, the club are now acting in consultation with their legal team and are acting in strict accordance with employment law & also Joey's contractual terms.

I've seen a few posts blaming the board, claiming no money to pay him off or general mismanagement & I'm not surprised that some will use ANY excuse to have a go because it suits their agenda .. for me, this has been handled in a professional manner & without knowing what actually happened, not sure what else anyone expects.

2 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

No matter what party is right or wrong, it can always be subject to a claim. In the case of Mutu the club need to determine with medical evidence the circumstances of Mutus drug taking. Not the case here. A dressing room spat ffs. From the little we know it appears the clash of the egos.

Cases of gross misconduct are generally easy to decide upon, but as we don't know the details we can only speculate, but the bigger problem is getting rid of someone, whether they are in the right or wrong, in keeping their mouths shut and not spilling the beans and that takes cash. A large chunk of £2 mil in outstanding wages if we are to believe the speculation, which we don't have. One of the biggest weaknesses we have in the case, is that it was leaked and if it wasn't Barton, then it prejudices his rights as confidentiality was breached by the club, which is another story, but also demands cash in compo. Remember, the mhedia do know who leaked it and if it wasn't Barton, we are in the brown stuff, if a satisfactory solution cannot be reached with Barton.

As I said above, it is MW who is now in a precarious position, not Barton. He has three weeks to turn our results around, or burnt toast will be the order of the day.

58 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

"The manager, Mark Warburton, and club believe that time and space is required for both the club and the player to assess all that has happened"

Here's a thought.  Just speculation - not based on any insight or knowledge of what happened - but since the Club is refusing to comment on why it has suspended a key summer signing for what will effectively be a month then, as the media has been doing, the Club's line leaves ample room for speculation to happen.  After all Warburton himself often uses the phrase that football is all about opinions.

Accept firstly that some rough and tumble 'frank exchanges of views' happen a lot - not just in football clubs - especially when things are not going well.   People argue, they fall out, they go in the huff, the blank colleagues, the accuse colleagues and so on, seeking to apportion blame and avoid blame landing on themselves.   Warburton likes these frank exchanges of views.  He's referred often to dressing room discussions where the players speak up and analyse and so on.   Its Warburton's collegiate style.

Now here comes the thought.  What if in that sort of heated discussion environment Barton made it clear that he did not think Warburton was up to the task - too much analysis not enough action - too much of a classroom theory and not enough actual direction and 'doing'.   Put a bit more directly what if Barton had made it clear that he had no confidence in Warburton and Weir's competences to deliver for Rangers ie on the back of the line Warbuton took in the OF game which he himself accepted blame for (the 'dislocation' - was that the word? - that he referred to.    Point being, its one thing for a manager to lose confidence in a player who is out of form or not doing as asked, its another thing if the player says 'I've got no confidence in you as a manager - you don't really know what to do or how to deliver'.    At which point neither can work with each other but the Club has no grounds to sack the person because - in an environment where management invited frank discussion - they got one they weren't ready to have. 

There you go.  A speculation.   It might help explain why the Club (and the player) seem to need 3 more weeks to assess all that has happened.   Perhaps it's become personal between Warburton and Barton.

Bang on with that again.

In the real world, with all that has gone on, the Manager would be toast as not being up to the job I leading his team to deliver the desired result.

32 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

2 million reasons we can't just boot him out.

Works two ways,it's in Barton's interests to get on with his career at another club.Sure he could hang about like a bad smell but he seems to have made his cash so surely give him 500k and get back to us playing football. He'll compensate his loss through his extra book sales on the back of the negative bublicity he's brought to us. One thing I have learned is that Bartons high profile is not matched by his ability, not much more than a water carrier imo.