Brainwashed

To Be A Ranger

OK I bought into this possession football thing and have to admit it is better than route one football but when the opposition goalkeeper has zero saves to make (game after game) and we keep losing then there is something amiss with this strategy.

I don't give a fuck if we have 30% possession but if we score more goals than the other team then great. 

I'd rather retain the MW thought of football but when was the last time our forwards had a one on one with a goalkeeper. Our midfield holds onto the ball too long. The forwards don't get the correct service. Defensively we have improved but we could have the best defence in the world but still win nothing if we can't score goals.

If we avoid relegation at this rate it will be a bonus.

1 minute ago, To Be A Ranger said:

OK I bought into this possession football thing and have to admit it is better than route one football but when the opposition goalkeeper has zero saves to make (game after game) and we keep losing then there is something amiss with this strategy.

I don't give a fuck if we have 30% possession but if we score more goals than the other team then great. 

I'd rather retain the MW thought of football but when was the last time our forwards had a one on one with a goalkeeper. Our midfield holds onto the ball too long. The forwards don't get the correct service. Defensively we have improved but we could have the best defence in the world but still win nothing if we can't score goals.

I said from the start of the season that if we didn't hit the ground running it would be a case of avoiding relegation come xmas and not winning the league. We lost, but we are rangers and we go again at the weekend. 

1 minute ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Some valid points there mate but you lost the plot when you mention avoiding relegation.You're talking pish there tbh.

11 minutes ago, kaiser1041 said:

Possession of the football means nothing if a team can score against you from a keepers punt.

its the same basic errors that's plagued this managers squad from day one 

Doesn't matter a fuck if they score with a punt. We should at least be scoring more than 1 penalty.

I thought Aberdeen were definitely there for the taking today. We were by far the better team in all areas - even big Hill had a very good game. They deserved absolutely nothing from the game. It's certainly a bit like 'deja vu' watching us at the moment - we play all the football, do all the running, and try to create all the openings, whilst the opposition just sit back and WAIT for us to make a frigging mistake! In saying that though, what chance have you got when the referee looks like he should have gone to spec savers at the end??  

Everybody's patience is wore thin. It's not just the results but the lack of effort from certain players and the pathological stubbornness of our so called manager that has 95% of us spitting nails. Nobody should be surprised at the amount of spleen venting going on the day.

If you haven't got the right tools in the toolbox then implementing the grand plan of possession football with high pressing to recover the ball, and fast passing, and plenty of chances being created then  its just an idea in the mind.  A pipedream.   Persisting in a belief you can still do it even with whatever tools are in the toolbox would indicate that reality has not yet triumphed.

I see Warburton as an idealist, a capable analyst, someone who is good on a training ground or in a classroom.   But as a leader who can galvanise a squad to actually deliver - he is far from that in this league this season.   He's failing.  He's failing because the results so far are nowhere near good enough.  Hes failing because try as he might to get a team to play the way he wants they are demonstrating game after game in the league that they are not good enough to achieve that ideal.  Something has to give.  Soon.  Because the quick turnaround Warburton himself said was needed after the OF game is not happening.  Nor is it showing signs of happening (and I don't count the QoS game as an indicator - what matters is league games and its not being delivered in league games).

3 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

If you haven't got the right tools in the toolbox then implementing the grand plan of possession football with high pressing to recover the ball, and fast passing, and plenty of chances being created then  its just an idea in the mind.  A pipedream.   Persisting in a belief you can still do it even with whatever tools are in the toolbox would indicate that reality has not yet triumphed.

I see Warburton as an idealist, a capable analyst, someone who is good on a training ground or in a classroom.   But as a leader who can galvanise a squad to actually deliver - he is far from that in this league this season.   He's failing.  He's failing because the results so far are nowhere near good enough.  Hes failing because try as he might to get a team to play the way he wants they are demonstrating game after game in the league that they are not good enough to achieve that ideal.  Something has to give.  Soon.  Because the quick turnaround Warburton himself said was needed after the OF game is not happening.  Nor is it showing signs of happening (and I don't count the QoS game as an indicator - what matters is league games and its not being delivered in league games).

This in a nutshell, we do not have the players to play the way MW wants to play IMO. If he continues down this road and does not change to a more solid formation he will be gone by Christmas unfortunately. I like him as a person but losing faith in him as a manager at an alarming rate. :(