Wingers

Gandhi1872

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the argument really changes to whether a winger/player is any good rather than whether wingers are a luxury in the modern game.

Coop blew hot and cold like all wingers, on his day he could destroy the best of opposition and that quality  is worthwhile having in you're ranks at any time.

1 minute ago, the brown brogue said:

We don't have any wingers and arguably no natural width in our squad at all. In my opinion anyway all our forwards are central number 9 or 10s and are suffering for being shoehorned into roles out wide.

Waggy is not a wide right man but Tav is so move him up one. Barrie is not central and is troubled out left at this time. MW switches him right at times which doesn't help. 

Thistle at the weekend. Why not try Hodson at RB, Tav up wide right and drop Barrie. Holt can come in from the left in a 4-4-2 with Windass and Halliday in the middle. Front 2 of Garner and Waggy. Bring Senderos in for Wilson.

Too many changes?

There a simple solution for me Harry on the left Barry on the right or vice versa with the instruction to get to the byline fb could help them by sometimes sitting a bit deeper as for moh is a decent player but relies on his pace to much as we saw at pittodrie if he's up against a full bk who's quick he runs out of ideas granted he didn't start think he's struggling w the demands at ibrox 

We should have signed a left footed left winger and Waggy should never play wide right again. Isn't quick enough, too left footed and is better through the middle.

Young Barrie should be given a run wide right Imo that's where he scored against THEM from and Imo where he is most dangerous.

15 hours ago, the brown brogue said:

We don't have any wingers and arguably no natural width in our squad at all. In my opinion anyway all our forwards are central number 9 or 10s and are suffering for being shoehorned into roles out wide.

This.  We need wingers brought in to the club.  A left-winger should be a priority signing in January. 

17 hours ago, cushynumber said:

There a luxury unless their world beaters. There. And we dont have world beaters.

BTW mate i am old enough to have seen Cooper many times. And many times he was a luxury.

Just imagine the grief RM would have given Cooper if he played now or if  the forum existed then.Some members would be using words like disinterested, lazy,shitebag etc.

Just now, docspiderman said:

Just imagine the grief RM would have given Cooper if he played now or if  the forum existed then.Some members would be using words like disinterested, lazy,shitebag etc.

slow, one trick pony, uses his right leg just to stand on..........

then he beats entire defences and slots it in the back of the net

22 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Tavernier is the best crosser of a ball at the club and by a considerable distance..

You've proved my point.

I agree with you that Tav is the best crosser of the ball we have but it still doesn't mean he's any good at it. He's just slightly less shit than the rest.

Watch him over the next month or two and you'll see what I'm talking about. To me it's like he hits 1 decent cross for every 10 attempts which is an awful return.

If I'm agreeing that Tavernier is the best crosser of the ball we have, what does that say about my opinion of the others?...

Bottom line is that crossing balls into the box and decision making when we get into goalscoring positions seriously need to be worked on in training.

Cannot agree that wingers are a luxury; they are a necessity. I don't think Hubbard's 77 from 172 or Wilson's 98 from 227 were luxury's. Also, Jim Forrest's 4 in the 1963 LCF were all from crosses from wingers, 2 fron each wing. By the way, the wingers figures were league appearances only.

1 hour ago, BouncyBluenose87 said:

You've proved my point.

I agree with you that Tav is the best crosser of the ball we have but it still doesn't mean he's any good at it. He's just slightly less shit than the rest.

Watch him over the next month or two and you'll see what I'm talking about. To me it's like he hits 1 decent cross for every 10 attempts which is an awful return.

If I'm agreeing that Tavernier is the best crosser of the ball we have, what does that say about my opinion of the others?...

Bottom line is that crossing balls into the box and decision making when we get into goalscoring positions seriously need to be worked on in training.

If we get the crossing into the box right I think Garner will come good as well.

Sick of McKay having countless opportunities to put in a cross first time but instead cuts it back and passes to midfield and kills the attack, think he should be benched for now.

Waghorn has played on the right, but 9/10 times he'll also cut it back and try to take on shots with his left and every right back in the league expects it now.

Why not try Waghorn on the left in order to get some crosses in with his strong foot? And Tavernier on the right. He might flake out on a lot of his crosses, but he's got decent pace to go past players to the byline and 18yd box and unload a dangerous ball into the 6yd box. Plus he seems to carry the footballing head that MOH lacks as stated by op.

All I've said is just suggestive and I may have overlooked some key facts of why that wouldn't work, but the gaffer needs to try something different, if he is going to persist with this rotten and predictable 4-3-3.

Warburton clearly spent too much time idolising barcas success with inside forwards. It works if your players are head and shoulders above your opposition but ours are not.

For me the games against Annan, Stranraer, East Stirlingshire, Linfield, Charleston and Burnley should all have been about finding a plan B but we wasted that opportunity.

I think interplay between a front two is what we are missing. 442 still has width and overlapping full backs but you get a better return of the ball in and around the box.

Look at garners goal against them and the switching with Miller, their defence looked as shite as ours.

Wish McKay had the heart of Forrester, he'd be a world beater.

Last season we had Tav on the right linking with Waghorn.  Now even though this may not be the best position for Waghorn it brought out the best in both players.

On the left we had Wallace and McKay linking sublimely and creating and scoring loads of goals.

Neither partnership has worked thus season and we appear to be suffering as a result.

27 minutes ago, sonofbear said:

This.(tu)  Hodson at RB in a 442 and let Tav at RM concentrate on running at them and providing ammo for the forwards.

Would defo like to see this, Hodson can defend and is good going forward, him and Tav would link up well on the right and would drive at the defences instead of this beating your man and cutting back pish all the time