What good is it dominating high % in games?

KeyserSoze

When we can't convert these into either goals or shots on target . 

The gaffer uses these stats like confetti. It is inconsequential to have 60% plus of the ball if it ends up nothing. Nada  zilch  

Feels like he comforts himself with this particular stat. 

If we have the ball a lot of the time surely we should be shooting, on target more often? 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Statistics mean fuck all. 87% of stats are completely made up.

And nothing pisses me off like watching a fucking shite performance to then be hit with a bunch of numbers as if that makes it alright. 

We're 100% pish there's a stat for you Warburton now fucking sort it

Well it boils down to two key things.

1 - The more you have of the ball the more opportunities you should have to score (In theory)

2 - The more you have of the ball the less opportunities the other team will have to score (In theory)

It's not the fact we've got more possession and that's pointless but it's because we don't have it in the opposition's final third and we aren't creating enough chances (I'm aware you've said this), but that is the purpose of playing possession football.

If we a high possession percentage it means the opposition has less time to hurt us.  This is a key factor in how we play at present time because we are less than robust defensively when we don't have the ball.  

But yes, we need to better convert our possession into goals.  We also need to hold possession better when pressurised by the opposition, particularly at key stages in the game.

Last season, another apparent benefit of having a high possession percentage was that the opposition seemed to tire significantly in the last 15min or so.  However, that doesn't seem so obvious in our games this season.

1 minute ago, Ibroxholm said:

If we a high possession percentage it means the opposition has less time to hurt us.  This is a key factor in how we play at present time because we are less than robust defensively when we don't have the ball.  

But yes, we need to better convert our possession into goals.  We also need to hold possession better when pressurised by the opposition, particularly at key stages in the game.

Last season, another apparent benefit of having a high possession percentage was that the opposition seemed to tire significantly in the last 15min or so.  However, that doesn't seem so obvious in our games this season.

Agreed but think the opposition tiring had more to do with a poorer standard of fitness staff for the second division sides, also teams pressed slightly more last year (oddly enough)

I notice some saying or implying we should not play posesssion football.  What are the alternatives.

1. A hump up the park?  Tried that for four years,  it was a disaster 

2. Give the ball away 

We, as in last season, really need to become better at converting goal scoring opportunities.

Another area where, IMO, we are very weak is pressing after we lose posesssion.   Watch Barca.  When they lose the ball they are immediately on the forward foot pressing high in order to win the ball back.  We need to really improve in that area.

12 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Less time for the other team to hurt us. :lol: 

All it takes is 1 second to punt the ball the length of the pitch and they score. 

Yes, and the more seconds the opposition have the ball, the more chance this will happen.  

Having a lot of possession doesn't excuse us from being poor defensively unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Another area where, IMO, we are very weak is pressing after we lose posesssion.   Watch Barca.  When they lose the ball they are immediately on the forward foot pressing high in order to win the ball back.  We need to really improve in that area.

This was something I really enjoyed watching last season. Chasing down lost balls/winning it back . "You lose it you get it back"

This has been removed from our game this season. That's sad tbh. 

All the possession means fuck all imo having 90% of the possession doesn't make a difference if you're going to let stupid goals in in the 10% that the opposition has. Makes it even scarier to think what would happen if the opposition got more of the ball instead of filling me with confidence as to what we can do when we have it

32 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

I notice some saying or implying we should not play posesssion football.  What are the alternatives.

1. A hump up the park?  Tried that for four years,  it was a disaster 

2. Give the ball away 

We, as in last season, really need to become better at converting goal scoring opportunities.

I was watching Klopp saying the other day that is the difference with Liverpool this season they have learned to press the opposition all over the park. and if you remember we used to do that in the early part of last season but that part of our game seems too of disappeared. to me we don't seem as fit as we were or certain players are either lazier or just can't cut it at the level needed for the spl.