What good is it dominating high % in games?

KeyserSoze

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Willis said:

All the possession means fuck all imo having 90% of the possession doesn't make a difference if you're going to let stupid goals in in the 10% that the opposition has. Makes it even scarier to think what would happen if the opposition got more of the ball instead of filling me with confidence as to what we can do when we have it

Agreed. 

The possession style of football is the correct one, but sometimes a slightly riskier more 'direct' approach is needed. 

Feels like we've gone more 'safe' this season. McKay being the worst example of it. Even Tav bombs forward less. 

Need to see the return of the explosive pace, pressing and pushing IMO. 

I am seriously concerned about Warburtons ability to make it as manager but I am just sick of worrying about it and moaning about it. I am giving positivity a try this week. See how it works out for me. 

We have been better since Barton was suspended. 

We have a relatively straightforward game coming up against Patrick Thistle. Let's see what happens. 

Whats the alternative? 

7 minutes ago, keithgersbear said:

It means nothing, the only thing that matters since football was invented is the score line and putting the ball in the net. You don't get points based on keeping the ball.

And keeping the ball out of you own net - as much as I am not saying its my point of view many would argue you are more likely to score and/or not concede whilst dominating possession in a match.  Perhaps someone more resourceful than me can tell us whether in general that argument stacks up.  Clearly it's not working for us right now however I don't think that proves anything.  Indeed if it wasn't for very frustrating horror shows in or around both boxes we would currently be enjoying % and points.

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

When we can't convert these into either goals or shots on target . 

The gaffer uses these stats like confetti. It is inconsequential to have 60% plus of the ball if it ends up nothing. Nada  zilch  

Feels like he comforts himself with this particular stat. 

If we have the ball a lot of the time surely we should be shooting, on target more often? 

Fairly sure Leicester had an average of 37% possession and won the EPL.  Passing teams to death and not winning is utterly futile in my opinion, but I am no coach.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

All the teams do against us is wait till tavs upfront as usual punt it into the space he's left and score. How the Manager cant see and stop that happening as it every fucking week.

Agreed. 

Only 1 FB should go forward and we move to 3 at the back in possession with the DM providing cover in the central area. 

I can be positive about we had enough of the ball to win at the weekend and we played the better football, but when we get 20 or 30 yards from the opposition goal we stumble and stutter and the lack of on target shots is becoming embarrassing.

I can't believe some think that 3 points off 2nd place is a positive. We should always base our position on top spot and focus on why we are so far off the pace. I see positives in our play but I also see a lot of negatives that have been apparent for a while and we don't seem to be addressing.

32 minutes ago, OlegKuznetsov said:

It's the inherent flaw in the style of play the fans wanted.

I'd rather have Walter's approach (his 2nd tenure with financial disadvantage) where we were solid defensively but ultimately did the business, got the points and humped the dhims.

Sure, Warburton deserves a bit more time but there may come a point where the board has to be brave and call it a day. All the time spent trying to instil a new ethos of football at Ibrox is time we're giving the scum to edge closer to ten in a fucking row.

38 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

Agreed. 

Only 1 FB should go forward and we move to 3 at the back in possession with the DM providing cover in the central area. 

Been thinking this for a while now. Tav goes forward Wallace tucks in a bit for a back 3 and vice versa when Wallace goes forward.

I love the possession football, but at the end of the day, the only statistic that matters is the final score. I would be happy to have 25% possession and win 1-0 than have 75% and get beat.

We need to turn our domination into chances and goals. But more importantly for me we have to be more clinical with our finishing.

Ross Co and Aberdeen games again highlighted how profligate we are.

3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

When we can't convert these into either goals or shots on target . 

The gaffer uses these stats like confetti. It is inconsequential to have 60% plus of the ball if it ends up nothing. Nada  zilch  

Feels like he comforts himself with this particular stat. 

If we have the ball a lot of the time surely we should be shooting, on target more often? 

Maybe he had faith that the chances will come and be converted. Losing any game 5-1 means you have no choice but to try and build slowly again. No one can deny we've had the bulk of the ball in the last 2 league games so what I'd expect now in the next few is to actually start winning wether that's 2-1 or 1-0 I don't really care and I'm sure the gaffer doesn't either. Wins breed further winning and if we can get back to that by the manager sticking to his guns then brilliant.

43 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

I'd rather have Walter's approach (his 2nd tenure with financial disadvantage) where we were solid defensively but ultimately did the business, got the points and humped the dhims.

Sure, Warburton deserves a bit more time but there may come a point where the board has to be brave and call it a day. All the time spent trying to instil a new ethos of football at Ibrox is time we're giving the scum to edge closer to ten in a fucking row.

A potential 10 in a row is a long way off. Worry when and if it gets to 8

Taking a wee trip into history I remember we had a game at Ibrox, mid-week against ICT. Butcher was still their manager and I think McLeish was ours, but I can't remember. We dominated that game had oddles of possession and got beat 0-1.

Another last season. I saw us play some of the best football I'd seen a Rangers team play in another mid-week game against Falkirk. I can't remember the possession stats but we went in 2-0 at HT. I was getting excited that it was going to be another 4 or 5 in the 2nd, but they came back and beat us 3-2. We had the ball most of the game and they basically scored on the break.

MW's failure to concern himself with any sort of defense is well known and spoken about on here. MW's failure to get the right combination in front of that shitey defense is beginning to show him up as a one trick pony I don't see him lasting out his full contract tbh if thingscontinue like this.

Bring on the Harry Rags and lets hope they don't run us ragged.

4 hours ago, HG5 said:

After 7 games, no SPL team has spent less time in a winning position than Rangers.

Pick the bones out of that...

I see that as reassuring to be honest. If we fix the issue of losing 1st goal 70% of the time and score 1st more often, I think we will do some damage.

If we don't fix it, we will continue to lose or draw and Warburton will be gone.