What good is it dominating high % in games?

KeyserSoze

3 hours ago, markem said:

And keeping the ball out of you own net - as much as I am not saying its my point of view many would argue you are more likely to score and/or not concede whilst dominating possession in a match.  Perhaps someone more resourceful than me can tell us whether in general that argument stacks up.  Clearly it's not working for us right now however I don't think that proves anything.  Indeed if it wasn't for very frustrating horror shows in or around both boxes we would currently be enjoying % and points.

Its a flawed concept. Barcelona don't win because they keep the ball a lot, they win because they put the ball in the net a hell of a lot. That is the difference.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, keithgersbear said:

Its a flawed concept. Barcelona don't win because they keep the ball a lot, they win because they put the ball in the net a hell of a lot. That is the difference.

Surely though there has to be some recognition that the reason they put the ball in the net a lot is due to the chances they create....due to the way they play?

I do take your point though, without purpose and an end product you typically have a team that is being allowed possession and doing nothing with it.  

For the record, and I know it's not the general consensus I believe the wins and form will come for us, it however has to be very soon.

Guys, I get the point that's being made but some of you have said it's the points that matter; well cast your minds back to our time in the second division. We never lost a game and everybody moaned about the turgid football we played.

We're only 7 games in, man, so I think folk need to take the foot of the gas a bit and give it some time. 

2 minutes ago, BigDak said:

Guys, I get the point that's being made but some of you have said it's the points that matter; well cast your minds back to our time in the second division. We never lost a game and everybody moaned about the turgid football we played.

We're only 7 games in, man, so I think folk need to take the foot of the gas a bit and give it some time. 

Thistle are going to take a skelping and onwards from there.

5 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

When we can't convert these into either goals or shots on target . 

The gaffer uses these stats like confetti. It is inconsequential to have 60% plus of the ball if it ends up nothing. Nada  zilch  

Feels like he comforts himself with this particular stat. 

If we have the ball a lot of the time surely we should be shooting, on target more often? 

are you sure he uses them like confetti? Confetti would be a good use for them though.

43 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

I see that as reassuring to be honest. If we fix the issue of losing 1st goal 70% of the time and score 1st more often, I think we will do some damage.

If we don't fix it, we will continue to lose or draw and Warburton will be gone. 

Sounds like a plan!

(or as good as anything that's going!)

There's another stat going around that we convert 2% of chances.

Get that sorted & we're on the way towards doing what you suggested!

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

In 3 home games we've scored 3 goals. 

In 3 home games Celtic have scored 15.

Yes - I'll regurgitate the stat I've been fed about converting 2% of our chances.

Against an average of 12% for teams in general.

Not sure that's entirely fair though, as I don't actually believe we create that many clear cut chances.

Bags of half chances, I admit, but not so many in the clear cut category.

2 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Yes - I'll regurgitate the stat I've been fed about converting 2% of our chances.

Against an average of 12% for teams in general.

Not sure that's entirely fair though, as I don't actually believe we create that many clear cut chances.

Bags of half chances, I admit, but not so many in the clear cut category.

We're not far away imo. Saturday will be massive imo. A big win will go along way to turning our season round.

1 hour ago, BigDak said:

It was the first division (or Div 1) when we went unbeaten,but your point is still valid.

It's a question of perspective - at that point we had a team that was a sledge hammer to crack a nut, which should have looked a whole lot better given the talent available.

This year, we're just promoted, with a team of (relative) bargain basement signings from last season & a new clutch who, for one reason or another are not able to string enough games together to make a meaningful impact.

Currently, the first priority is establishing ourselves in this division, which means a focus on results.

Let's get real here - for now, if the results are ok, none of us will give a toss about what it looks like.

Once we get used to winning again & being competitive, then we can start to worry about style.

2 minutes ago, HG5 said:

It was the first division (or Div 1) when we went unbeaten,but your point is still valid.

It's a question of perspective - at that point we had a team that was a sledge hammer to crack a nut, which should have looked a whole lot better given the talent available.

This year, we're just promoted, with a team of (relative) bargain basement signings from last season & a new clutch who, for one reason or another are not able to string enough games together to make a meaningful impact.

Currently, the first priority is establishing ourselves in this division, which means a focus on results.

Let's get real here - for now, if the results are ok, none of us will give a toss about what it looks like.

Once we get used to winning again & being competitive, then we can start to worry about style.

League One (Old division two)

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It drives me mental. No point changing it. Just imagine though, if we HAD went unbeaten in The equivalent of the old Div 1. We'd never have seen MW here.

Yes, amazing the twists & turns!

Almost a 'sliding doors' moment, maybe?

Yet to resolve itself whether that is a good or a bad thing!

To be continued........,

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Early goals work wonders for our system. Teams then have to open up making them vulnerable. 

That's another thing we don't seem to be able to concoct. 

Something I've pointed out, and I do get that it pretty flawed BUT, if you ignore our humping at parkhead we've got the best defensive record in the league.

8 hours ago, Bakbear said:

Warburton on Rangers Tv saying it's all well and good having possession but possession is nothing without penetration. 

He knows this

does he? some how i'm of the impression he doesn't and is just saying the right things to keep the pack of wolfs at bay.