Wright only spent a short time at Celtic Park - making eight appearances and scoring three goals during the 1999-2000 season - after being brought to Glasgow's east end by Hoops manager John Barnes.

Writing in his book, TV pundit Wright said: “This wasn’t football, listening to songs being sung from the start to the finish of the game saying ‘**** the Pope and the IRA’, or you’re in your car and people start banging on the roof shouting ‘No retreat! No surrender!’

"At first, I didn’t even know what they were talking about.

“There was a vile atmosphere, fuelled by hatred, especially at the Old Firm derby. Fans love to talk about it like it’s this unbelievable thing!

"It’s not an unbelievable thing: it’s a nasty, tense, unsporting environment of super-intense religious bigotry that’s nothing to do with sport.”

Wright also goes on to state how he believes that the Scottish media are biased in favour of the blue half of the Glasgow divide stating: “The press up there seemed to be very pro- Rangers , too, so journalists had so much fun ridiculing me and my so-called lack of form up there.”

It certainly seems to be a contagious matter , when ye end up playing for them , everyone is against ye . :wanker: 

Was coming in to say he's right - it is based on pure hatred but expecting him to mention their hatred too - which he doesn't appear to have done?

I take it he had his ear muff's on in the subs bench while Advocaat was getting called a sad orange bastard and IRA songs belted out, then?

5 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Was coming in to say he's right - it is based on pure hatred but expecting him to mention their hatred too - which he doesn't appear to have done?

I take it he had his ear muff's on in the subs bench while Advocaat was getting called a sad orange bastard and IRA songs belted out, then?

speaking to a fella at my work about this, seems Ian Wright has no problem with Arsenal fans singing about gassing Jews.

No retreat :lol::lol:

You sure you weren't listening to an Arctic Monkeys song in your car you absolute clown. 

I've never known a single Rangers fan to use the term 'no retreat'

He's full of shite. I'm sure there was claims he was racially abused by Celtic fans because of his poor performances, no mention of that no?

3 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

No retreat :lol::lol:

You sure you weren't listening to an Arctic Monkeys song in your car you absolute clown. 

I've never known a single Rangers fan to use the term 'no retreat'

He's full of shite. I'm sure there was claims he was racially abused by Celtic fans because of his poor performances, no mention of that no?

Yeah he was abused by taig fans in the car park , might have been after Caley humped them 3-1

A good few years ago i  remember hearing him say he disliked the Rangers fans as they were "too intense". Low and behold here he is at it again. Sounds another like Sutton who has been mentally scarred by a few skelpings from Rangers  (and these were games that actually meant something not like the pretend league we have just now).

I take it Wright has not seen the effigies of coffins and hangings ?  Does he not see the embarrassment of Remembrance day every year  when it comes round?  Did he not listen to the IRA chants on a weekly basis? Did he not hear the fuck the Queen chants? Is he not aware of the anti British hatred they spew? Does he know what this Palestine shit is all about ?

Thats intensity Ian Wright,  you absolute prick.

13 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Looks like he's giving the one sided tim version to sell his book to the scum.

He was on Radio 5 promoting his book and he was introduced as playing for the list of teams he has and had a bit of special treatment for playing for septic. I was straining my brain trying to remember how many games he played for them. Although I remember him signing, it was during one of their worst periods in their history and I couldn't remember how many he's played.

Not many as it turns out.

And to only give one side of the bigotry that exists within Scottish football, OF in the main shows him up to be a bigot himself