• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Bluebrows said:

Great pics.

I searched on google for more information on John greigs testimonial. Had a wee chuckle when I seen it was against a Scotland X1.

Changed days eh!

I was somewhere in that picture. Great testimonial. I think Greig gave every player a watch, IIRC

6 hours ago, standup said:

Something not right about the 5th one.

Yea just noticed that and it does look odd,I think it's the roof of the Arco building at the corner of Broomloan road and just the way the picture was taken which makes it look odd.

Looking in to it just now.

Great pics. Was at the Greig testimonial, were the prices reduced for that game? Or am I thinking of a centenary match reduction? Both great occasions nonetheless. 

Edit - just done a bit of googling the reduced prices were for the centenary match against Arsenal in 73. 5p admission price , we lost 2-1 

7 hours ago, Bluebrows said:

Great pics.

I searched on google for more information on John greigs testimonial. Had a wee chuckle when I seen it was against a Scotland X1.

Changed days eh!

We won 5-0 and and Greig produced a "wonder goal" towards the end (the "wonder" was why a big space developed and nobody tackled him. ;)).

Rest of it was reasonably competitive.

I'm sure Joe Jordan and possibly Dalglish played and it was a nice summer's day, with a huge crowd. Big Derek Johnstone had just had a great season domestically and internationaly, and played really well, but Ally McLeod still chose not to play DJ at the World Cup finals soon after where it all went tits up. There was a huge reluctance from McLeod to pick gers players, Bobby Russell was another who played great that day, but never featured for Scotland.

Brilliant photos. :clap:

54 minutes ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

Yea just noticed that and it does look odd,I think it's the roof of the Arco building at the corner of Broomloan road and just the way the picture was taken which makes it look odd.

Looking in to it just now.

Looking closer at it I think your right . The Broomloan stand is just out of shot on the right , The west enclosure looks bigger so would the gap between stands . Also the roundabout top left , I thought was the one at the Albion car park but is really the Helen street one . Great picture, just the angle of it gives a different perspective . The wee Rangers club is slightly hidden as well .

Excellent pictures?

Loved the John Greig picture. Near fell off my seat at the pictures of his testimonial against Scotland, they look ancient and I remember it well! Think there was about 70k in Ibrox that day, bursting at the seams! Great memories, cheers.

16 hours ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

156qxkz.jpg

Mystery solved.:sherlock:

ibroxpark3ww0ph9.jpg

The foreground in the first picture is of course construction of the main stand. 

The background is actually a transposed or reversed photo taken East from approx Bellahouston Park at Broomloan Road showing the white sandstone blocks in Paisley Road West (left front in my photo above,) along past Skene Road and you can just the red sandstone blocks (right hand side of my photo above)

So the two scenes have been "swivelled" together. Very strange. 

How'd I figure this ? 

Simple, I used to live in those red sandstone buildings on the Paisley Road West. (tu)

47 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Photo number 5 is really doing my head in, It just doesn't add up, where is the Broomie? And those houses??? That's always been industrial 

The houses are the old Teucharhill scheme between Helen Steet and Craigton Road, they look a lot closer because the photo is from an unusual perspective.

7 minutes ago, will2203 said:

Anyone through some light on picture 7? Looks like some sort of sports event. 

??Going too fast for an Orange Walk. ?? Some will recall we used to have these at Ibrox.

Ibrox used to hold many sports events, and Mr Struth was one of the driving forces.

Shameless bump for my thread on famous sports stars at Ibrox.

Great photos.  Thanks for posting.  Bit of sadness looking at the old stadium being demolished.  The picture before Grieg's testimonial photo looks like the Bayern game in 1972 - if so, I'm somewhere in the background crowd as a 12 yeart old at the Broomloan end ... memories!

35 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Ibrox used to hold many sports events, and Mr Struth was one of the driving forces.

Shameless bump for my thread on famous sports stars at Ibrox.

Thanks tannerall. Had no idea about the sports events. Did a bit of googling there and very interesting.

2 hours ago, will2203 said:

Anyone through some light on picture 7? Looks like some sort of sports event. 

??Going too fast for an Orange Walk. ?? Some will recall we used to have these at Ibrox.

The Ibrox Sports, used to be held every summer.

No I didn't attend them but my old man told me about them ?

Right i cleared up the issue with picture 5 at last.

1znq5hw.jpg

In the above picture in the space between the Broomloan and enclosure you can see a building with a white roof,Directly under this you can see something brown and under the brown a lighter shade of brown

What you are seeing is the Arco building that sits on Broomloan road,You have the white roof,then corrugated panels which is the darker brown and the lighter brown is the wall,You can also see quite clearly a couple of people walking along the road and you can see a lamp post.

It's just the angle of the picture that makes it look like something else,You can also see the enclosure barriers at the end which start to sweep round.

Have a look here on google maps and you can see the building in line with the club deck,You might need to zoom in slightly.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.8526643,-4.3062031,310a,20y,280.17h,44.96t/data=!3m1!1e3