We're in good shape

The Wee General

A statement used frequently by our current manager. At this moment, we are currently lying 7th in a piss poor league of 12.

Can you imagine this situation being acceptable from any of our great former managers, ie

Bill Struth; Scot Symon; John Greig; Jock Wallace; Graham Souness; Walter Smith or Alex Mcleish....Not on your nelly.

But somehow, some of us believe that we are on track with our current manager Mark Warburton, to reclaim the heights and expectations that we demand and expect of our Glasgow Rangers Football Club.

What I want firstly is a board that properly funds the club. Secondly, a manager who understands that success is paramount to the countless thousands who support the club worldwide. Thirdly, that the manager instills in the players the importance of our history and expectations of the club and it's fans.

Basically,  what I'm saying is....just being "in good shape" ain't fuckin good enough.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really has been poor. What annoys me the most is that we spent 1.5m on a striker who has not really impressed, yet our current best choice centre back pairing were (are) considered our weakest for selection. 

Piss poor and very amatuerish Summer window IMO and if things continue like this i won't be renewing. It isn't enjoyable. 

You have clarified my point succinctly. I hope that MW is not using us as some experiment to tinker with tactics and formations that he puts in his locker for his future managerial experience. He must see his strongest team for us, why not play it?

We are not fuckin Brentford. We have a massive cup tie against the scum coming up....to be fair, and this hurts, they played tonight like we need to...we must win. Simples.

Patience . 

We've just moved into the top league and are adjusting to that with the pressures that go with it , both on the park and off it . On top of that , we're bedding in a fair amount of new players . 

Yes , it's not the start we all hoped for but the last couple of games I think things have started to improve . Let's see where we are at the end of the season. 

5 hours ago, The Wee General said:

A statement used frequently by our current manager. At this moment, we are currently lying 7th in a piss poor league of 12.

Can you imagine this situation being acceptable from any of our great former managers, ie

Bill Struth; Scot Symon; John Greig; Jock Wallace; Graham Souness; Walter Smith or Alex Mcleish....Not on your nelly.

But somehow, some of us believe that we are on track with our current manager Mark Warburton, to reclaim the heights and expectations that we demand and expect of our Glasgow Rangers Football Club.

What I want firstly is a board that properly funds the club. Secondly, a manager who understands that success is paramount to the countless thousands who support the club worldwide. Thirdly, that the manager instills in the players the importance of our history and expectations of the club and it's fans.

Basically,  what I'm saying is....just being "in good shape" ain't fuckin good enough.

We have been in unprecedented waters these last 5 years - none of those managers quoted had to deal with anything like it - closest being AMc who had to deal with a reducing budget. 

On similar terms never has a board had to deal with successive financial messes and while they are tasked with making sure we never over commit again they have a lot of shite to sort.

The current board and management team are,in my opinion, only a short period into a rebuilding process that there is no precedent for. Our expectations are for instant success and change, but rebuilding is seldom like that - yes our fans have high expectations but the current bloodlust displayed by some is unworthy of what most, last year, accepted would take 2-3 years. 

We as a support are not doing our bit by this howling at the moon - and some would have us go chopping and changing what is basically a sound strategy, management team and board - is that what we want every time we have a bad spell? Calm down and be pateient - evaluate at the end of the season and let's move on 

Fuck celtic,  fuck hibs,  Aberdeen,  hearts and every other club.  We don't give a damn about them or who they play.  It's us we are interested in, nothing more nothing less. 

Sure we've had a less than stellar start to the season but so what,  we all knew that this was never going to be a cake walk,  and any one that believed that is a fucking liar. It will turn around and we will start getting the rewards our possession demands.  

5 hours ago, The Wee General said:

Each and everyone of that illustrious list of men had periods where things weren't going their way.  We do look back with rose coloured spectacles at times.

No one is clearly happy at the moment but surely to god MW needs to be given more time.  There are signs that we 'may' be turning a corner.

5 hours ago, kanjo said:

It really has been poor. What annoys me the most is that we spent 1.5m on a striker who has not really impressed, yet our current best choice centre back pairing were (are) considered our weakest for selection. 

Piss poor and very amatuerish Summer window IMO and if things continue like this i won't be renewing. It isn't enjoyable. 

Aye, nae bother. Jog on.

10 minutes ago, SteveEarle said:

Each and everyone of that illustrious list of men had periods where things weren't going their way.  We do look back with rose coloured spectacles at times.

No one is clearly happy at the moment but surely to god MW needs to be given more time.  There are signs that we 'may' be turning a corner.

This is a fucking great post mate. People have short memories and tend to forget the bad times we had within those spells, people talk about McLeish in very glowing terms. The guy used to take it both barrels from certain sections of our support. The tide turned a little bit with him after we got the draw in Porto but prior to that he was getting it tighter than Warburton currently is.

21 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

We have been in unprecedented waters these last 5 years - none of those managers quoted had to deal with anything like it - closest being AMc who had to deal with a reducing budget. 

On similar terms never has a board had to deal with successive financial messes and while they are tasked with making sure we never over commit again they have a lot of shite to sort.

The current board and management team are,in my opinion, only a short period into a rebuilding process that there is no precedent for. Our expectations are for instant success and change, but rebuilding is seldom like that - yes our fans have high expectations but the current bloodlust displayed by some is unworthy of what most, last year, accepted would take 2-3 years. 

We as a support are not doing our bit by this howling at the moon - and some would have us go chopping and changing what is basically a sound strategy, management team and board - is that what we want every time we have a bad spell? Calm down and be pateient - evaluate at the end of the season and let's move on 

Good post.(tu)

2 hours ago, gmcf said:

Patience . 

We've just moved into the top league and are adjusting to that with the pressures that go with it , both on the park and off it . On top of that , we're bedding in a fair amount of new players . 

Yes , it's not the start we all hoped for but the last couple of games I think things have started to improve . Let's see where we are at the end of the season. 

We've just moved into the top league.

Hearts won 5 in a row, their first five. 

Anybody who starts the old we've just been promoted.. Gelling in new players load of crap that's not how football works... We have on paper a very competent squad who are massively underperforming when that happens the manager should be the one getting them back on track .. In my opinion doesn't look that way at all we need to go on a run but this team doesn't look capable of that 

2 minutes ago, millsygers44 said:

Anybody who starts the old we've just been promoted.. Gelling in new players load of crap that's not how football works... We have on paper a very competent squad who are massively underperforming when that happens the manager should be the one getting them back on track .. In my opinion doesn't look that way at all we need to go on a run but this team doesn't look capable of that 

I still think Warburton knows the issues better than us, even if he doesn't say it all publicly.

8 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Give the man a break, I'm sure he doesn't want to do these interviews every week. What do you want, a quote from Shakespeare?

I have always been a fan of MW and am not calling for his head. However, to keep saying 'we will learn from it' every week then putting out the same team in the same formation and playing the same way and conceding from the same set pieces shows we are not fecking learning from it !

Just now, BluebearDory said:

I have always been a fan of MW and am not calling for his head. However, to keep saying 'we will learn from it' every week then putting out the same team and playing the same way and conceding from the same set pieces shows we are not fecking learning from it !

My point is what is he meant to say that varies from the past weeks performances?

20 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

We've just moved into the top league.

Hearts won 5 in a row, their first five. 

That last reply was a bit sharp.  What I meant is the expectation we have to win everything along with every other side in the country wanting to give us a bloody nose makes the Rangers managers jobs one of the most difficult in football.  I just feel MW needs a decent amount of time to get things right.  We're back in the top league so I would give him till the season is out at least.  That doesn't make me a happy fan at the moment, sorry.