We're in good shape

The Wee General

58 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

He's hardly going to come out and say, aye we're fucked this year because King hasn't invested, and we've a team made up of freebies and bargain basement signings. 

Hes made mistakes, but ultimately we've a budget about 1/4 of Celtics. What are we supposed to achieve with that.

If it was just "them" we were baws against then fair point.

But we are struggling against teams with a quater of our budget at home in front of 50,000 fans.

Also septic did not spend zillions this summer they got two free transfers, an ex Dunfermline keeper on a nominal fee, a half decent winger from Villa and some right back 99 percent of people in Scotland had not heard of yet they have become a better team due to having a manager who can change tactics and adapt.

We are signing guys at £1.8m and paying others £20,000 a week yet we can't even beat a bunch of goat herders from Dingwall at home even with 60+ percent possession.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, sammy cox said:

You are the guy with the issue.I'm pretty sure we have had this discussion before but do tell me who you know is interested in not only buying out the required shareholding but who is then going to be interested in putting further millions of their own money in to build the team.Do share with us all who these individuals or institutions are.I don't see a que of multi millionaires standing on Edminston  drive bursting their chops to lose their money in Scottish football.Do tell us as there wasn't exactly a multitude of these guys before.

As for what I will do in the forseeable I will go and support my team regardless of who is on the board in the dugout winning or losing like thousands of other Rangers supporters do and have done for years.If that's not for you well that's entirely your choice isn't it as no one puts a gun to anyone's head and forces them to go and watch any team.

As I do. I just don't do dignified silence. The only issue I have is playing second best to the scum. I'm surprised you don't. 

As for potential investors, that's what the board are paid for. I will spare you the history lesson in how king came to power and who we have already chased before. This board lack both the acumen and integrity to do so, but you already know that.

BTW, none of it means losing money, you just have to front load the investment to get the return. We don't have to look far for the  example and they haven't exactly spent squillions. Just the right amount when and where it's needed. Our potless crew, I'm afraid neither have the integrity, the foresight nor financial muscle to do so, but they do live very well of our pound. 

When a board is pratted, then that's fine, shit happens, but don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. 

2 hours ago, rangersmad86 said:

This is a fucking great post mate. People have short memories and tend to forget the bad times we had within those spells, people talk about McLeish in very glowing terms. The guy used to take it both barrels from certain sections of our support. The tide turned a little bit with him after we got the draw in Porto but prior to that he was getting it tighter than Warburton currently is.

If I remember correctly that was during a run of our most games without a win,I think it got upto about 10 ,and bears were gunning for him

24 minutes ago, Albertz 78 said:

If it was just "them" we were baws against then fair point.

But we are struggling against teams with a quater of our budget at home in front of 50,000 fans.

Also septic did not spend zillions this summer they got two free transfers, an ex Dunfermline keeper on a nominal fee, a half decent winger from Villa and some right back 99 percent of people in Scotland had not heard of yet they have become a better team due to having a manager who can change tactics and adapt.

We are signing guys at £1.8m and paying others £20,000 a week yet we can't even beat a bunch of goat herders from Dingwall at home even with 60+ percent possession.

Spot on

We should at least be 2nd with our wage budget

I will see where we are at the end of the year.

8 hours ago, The Wee General said:

A statement used frequently by our current manager. At this moment, we are currently lying 7th in a piss poor league of 12.

Can you imagine this situation being acceptable from any of our great former managers, ie

Bill Struth; Scot Symon; John Greig; Jock Wallace; Graham Souness; Walter Smith or Alex Mcleish....Not on your nelly.

But somehow, some of us believe that we are on track with our current manager Mark Warburton, to reclaim the heights and expectations that we demand and expect of our Glasgow Rangers Football Club.

What I want firstly is a board that properly funds the club. Secondly, a manager who understands that success is paramount to the countless thousands who support the club worldwide. Thirdly, that the manager instills in the players the importance of our history and expectations of the club and it's fans.

Basically,  what I'm saying is....just being "in good shape" ain't fuckin good enough.

Were you around when JG was manager? Never won the league in 5 seasons , came second once I think but that was with Jock Wallaces team. Lowest crowds I've ever seen at Ibrox but he won a few cups. JG got 5 seasons, MW did what was required last season in getting promototion so he deserves at least a full season to show what he can do.

15 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

As I do. I just don't do dignified silence. The only issue I have is playing second best to the scum. I'm surprised you don't. 

As for potential investors, that's what the board are paid for. I will spare you the history lesson in how king came to power and who we have already chased before. This board lack both the acumen and integrity to do so, but you already know that.

BTW, none of it means losing money, you just have to front load the investment to get the return. We don't have to look far for the  example and they haven't exactly spent squillions. Just the right amount when and where it's needed. Our potless crew, I'm afraid neither have the integrity, the foresight nor financial muscle to do so, but they do live very well of our pound. 

When a board is pratted, then that's fine, shit happens, but don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. 

You know nothing about me so do not presume to think that I or any Rangers supporter is happy to play second fiddle to the scum.

If according to you that it doesn't mean losing money how come the money men ( who you have still to let us know who they are ) are not tripping over themselves to invest as according to you there's no risk .Just ask those who invested in the same outlook you have under SDM front loaded investment ending up owing tens of millions. Perhaps just perhaps we are not as attractive investment as you and others think.Business men and businesses invest to make money or even promote a brand perhaps the back water that is Scottish football isn't as appealing as you and many others think.

There is no quick fix to the situation so the sooner you and the usual band of brothers accept that the better.This is going to take time and a long term outlook if this is not acceptable to some supporters they are going to be in for a shock.We do not have a Russian billionaire or Arab Prince looking for a plaything in Scottish football.That's the reality deal with it like thousands of others do.

7 hours ago, kanjo said:

It really has been poor. What annoys me the most is that we spent 1.5m on a striker who has not really impressed, yet our current best choice centre back pairing were (are) considered our weakest for selection. 

Piss poor and very amatuerish Summer window IMO and if things continue like this i won't be renewing. It isn't enjoyable. 

Piss off ya glory hunting wanker

7 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

I'm sure if King laid 50 million on the table you'd still criticise wanting 51 million.   Do you have a season ticket btw?

18 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

If Warburton actually took on board what he preaches and made adjustments to his tactics then I could understand the blind faith. 

Pity he will do none of the above. 

Is it really 'blind faith'? I think the reality of our situation is evident to everyone and do we really have any choice but to have a certain degree of faith in the manager's abilities to deal with this? Warburton's real adjustments have been at Auchenhowie, I think most would recognise that, and maybe it might take some time for that to bear fruit? At this present time our performances have been not good, but is it a hopeless situation we find ourselves in?

IMO nothing will change and I don't think Mark Warburton will turn it around. Our tactics when we are ahead won't change and our tactics when we are winning won't change ergo status quo! He doesn't know how to win games, we can't see games out. Look at Raith, the scum semi, Hibs & Falkirk and that's just off the top of my head. ??

50 minutes ago, He's blue he's white said:

I'm sure if King laid 50 million on the table you'd still criticise wanting 51 million.   Do you have a season ticket btw?

Viewing from a distance still entitles you to an opinion but far too many on here living in a bubble and have lost their sense of reality.

If the Board spunked the cash and we were struggling financially, they would be moaning. Need to steady the ship and it may take a bit longer than we would like. But need a firm footing.

Just now, will2203 said:

Viewing from a distance still entitles you to an opinion but far too many on here living in a bubble and have lost their sense of reality.

If the Board spunked the cash and we were struggling financially, they would be moaning. Need to steady the ship and it may take a bit longer than we would like. But need a firm footing.

Agreed mate an opinion is fine but some are poisonous arse holes and wonder why the fuck they still support us if they feel so strongly about our current situation 

It's all about opinions as Warburton says from time to time.   Opinions may or may not be well informed by the facts but then the only folks with enough of the current important facts are King and the Board and they've gone all ostrich-like these days and seem to be content to let events unfold and take it from there.   Is that the mark of top quality leadership during such a big transitional phase for Rangers both on the field and financially?   Personally, I don't think so.

We are most certainly not in a good place in the league.  Lots already written about this - OF shambles, leaking goals too easily, not scoring goals, not getting rewards for possession and hard work, disharmony in the squad with a player sentenced to a 3 week suspension, and so on.   In sum, a team that is not gelling fast enough and which is failing to win points in very winnable games led by a manager who is not yet, imo, showing signs that he can turn this around.  He said after the OF shambles that this needed to be turned around quickly.  Its not happened.   Saturday against Thistle is another opportunity but if its not taken then he inevitably simply heaps more and more pressure on himself.

At this stage last season I think DU had 6 points at the end of Sept 2015 and had just dismissed their manager.   At the end of Sept 2016 we have 9 points.   Now of course we are not DU but the point is despite recognizing the dangers and changing he manager they could not recover from the poor start, we are at a point where starting to win and not just he odd game is important.   October is a big month.  If the quick turnaround is not achieved during October then I think it becomes quite hard for Warburton and others to stick to a line of still gelling, still early days, still a project in the making, still able to make Plan A work and so on.

Money.   The Board raked in barrowloads in ST sales.   But what other funding has been injected?   Have they reported on other income streams or investment - I can't recall seeing any numbers being quoted?    Have they given up on seeking to attract other investment until the end of the season when they can see whether or not Warburton has hit the single objective of securing a European slot for next season so that this triggers action to raise more money from investors?   What are they doing / what strategy are they developing that would inject materially more money into the Club to enable it to be much more competitive on the pitch?    Or is the unstated strategy one of having acquired control of the Club they simply do enough to keep going in the hope that when the other lot fail at some point in time we are in a position to take advantage?   Maybe the AGM will in due course produce a clearer picture but I'm not counting on it.     For now it does not seem we are in anywhere near good enough a place financially to be able to acquire the sorts of players needed to compete at the highest level.   Even making some allowance for a team still gelling 7th in the league at the end of Sept tells us that we are way off where we should be even given the investment in the squad this season. 

34 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Is it really 'blind faith'? I think the reality of our situation is evident to everyone and do we really have any choice but to have a certain degree of faith in the manager's abilities to deal with this? Warburton's real adjustments have been at Auchenhowie, I think most would recognise that, and maybe it might take some time for that to bear fruit? At this present time our performances have been not good, but is it a hopeless situation we find ourselves in?

I agree he has Auchenhowie running properly at admin level, but I hope he doesn't pass on his stubbornness to never change tactics to the coaches. 

Again I don't get this well we are stuck with him? If he doesn't get us a euro spot then he deserves to be sacked and we look elsewhere. 

If you sit and watch a manager keep trying the same thing over and over again and getting the same result and refuses to change but hopes it will just click eventually, if you then keep saying give him time then I would say that was blind faith. 

37 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

That's a good point about Auchenhowie, I think it is easy to forget that our scouting and development department were stripped back to there bare bones ( Stevie the I T guy ) by the old regime. To replace that and for it to bare fruit will take money and a good bit of time, I think it is fair to say the board have put in the first part and now the fans will have to be patient to see the second part imo

It has become a bit of a catchphrase for M W " we are in good shape " but I think he means by the way the guys have shown up on the training field rather than the season performance so far ?

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I agree he has Auchenhowie running properly at admin level, but I hope he doesn't pass on his stubbornness to never change tactics to the coaches. 

Again I don't get this well we are stuck with him? If he doesn't get us a euro spot then he deserves to be sacked and we look elsewhere. 

If you sit and watch a manager keep trying the same thing over and over again and getting the same result and refuses to change but hopes it will just click eventually, if you then keep saying give him time then I would say that was blind faith. 

I don't view us as being stuck with the manager, sorry if I gave that over, what I mean is that he is possibly the best man we have to do the job he was given to do. I'm a fan of Warburton, I think he has a vision for football in terms of how it should be played, and he has a vision for this club, something it has lacked for a long time. I personally think he will get it right, but I also appreciate that he won't be given a great deal of time to do so. My personal view is that we lack players in certain areas and that the manager knows that, but he is never going to say that publicly.

45 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's not a hopeless situation but surely Warburton needs to show something soon or it will be?

Our problems have been evident for a while now and most of them aren't problems that require big sweeping changes where you need to wait to see the benefits because it's the basics that we continue to be rubbish at - schoolboy defending, defensively neglectful overzealous fullbacks, one style of playing and formation with no variation whatsoever, ineffective wingers, like for like substitutes who are only brought on to freshen the team up rather than as a reaction to attempt to change or influence the game - people have had complaints about these issues for well over a year now and we are seeing no signs whatsoever that they are being worked on or addressed.

I really like Warburton but if he wants to be successful with us then these are things he needs to stop being so stubborn, naive and arrogant about and accepr that there are times as Rangers manager when you have to adapt or divert from 'plan a' to get the job done or the fans patience will quickly run out and he will be out a job.

8 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

And if he gets us the Euro spot will you be happy then and want him to stay.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

It's not a hopeless situation but surely Warburton needs to show something soon or it will be?

Our problems have been evident for a while now and most of them aren't problems that require big sweeping changes where you need to wait to see the benefits because it's the basics that we continue to be rubbish at - schoolboy defending, defensively neglectful overzealous fullbacks, one style of playing and formation with no variation whatsoever, ineffective wingers, like for like substitutes who are only brought on to freshen the team up rather than as a reaction to attempt to change or influence the game - people have had complaints about these issues for well over a year now and we are seeing no signs whatsoever that they are being worked on or addressed.

I really like Warburton but if he wants to be successful with us then these are things he needs to stop being so stubborn, naive and arrogant about and accepr that there are times as Rangers manager when you have to adapt or divert from 'plan a' to get the job done or the fans patience will quickly run out and he will be out a job.

You make many valid points, and I agree with much of what you say, but is he really any of those things, or is it that he really believes that this system is one he favours? I think we need certain players; arguably our two best midfielders are out injured, Windass and Rossiter. I think once we see a settled side we will improve. Losing a player with the creative attributes of Windass has been big.

People were calling for Walter Smith to resign on multiple occasions over the long illustrious time he had in charge. Even the season he got us to the Uefa cup final. Something that I never thought I would see in my life time. But there you go, it's all about opinions I suppose........

We are a better footballing side than anyone else in the league, it just needs a slight adjustment and tweeking to things, not to mention staying free of injuries. We have been having shit luck ,too. Look at the tims game last night, they just hump the ball forwards and get shit loads of luck.