Waghorn/Garner

gsa

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, LegendofCoop said:

For the most part, at the start of last season, Waggy looked full of ideas, running and was a constant threat. Maybe tailed off a bit towards the end of the season.

This season so far he's looked like a clueless lump of wood. I mean, there's plenty of effort but he just doesn't look like he know what to do with the ball at his feet now.

Then out the blue he gets a fabulous hattrick v QotS.

Perhaps sums up that that's his level?

He did miss 2 sitters in that game before finally registering.

Won't always get 5 chances in a game, but must've had a few yesterday?

13 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Thought Dodoo looked sharp when he came on and fired a couple of balls across the box, maybe give him and Garner a game together

I'm of the same opinion. Dodoo doesn't have tremendous pace, but he does have the skill and lanky legs to go past a player and stay on his feet, to get himself in a good position to play the ball in.

Another thing I noticed is other players (Wallace, McKay, Tav even MOH) when they play the ball into the box often do it with too much pace, often overhitting it to the far side of the box (paid off last night but that's 1/1000) whereas JD floats the ball into the middle of the 6yrd box.

I reckon if he can supply Garner with crosses like that, he'll get a few goals racked up.

I think Waggy has to play through the middle as its clear he's not a winger. I cringe when I watch Garner play because everytime a player goes anywhere near him he goes down usually holding his head. I hate it when opposition players do that and i hate it even more when one of ours does it.

12 hours ago, bam74 said:

They're both hopeless. £1.8 million for Garner just seems like a bad joke. Spends most of the game arguing or on his arse.  Kenny Miller, at 36, is our best striker. Frightening

Bit of an unfair assessment given he's only played a full 90 minutes once and Warbs refuses to play to his strengths.

13 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Thought Dodoo looked sharp when he came on and fired a couple of balls across the box, maybe give him and Garner a game together

I'd play Dodoo on the left next week, Miller through the middle and Barrie on the right get him going to the line and swinging in some crosses.

Going forward I would rotate Garner and Miller through the middle. But Miller is on form at present and IMO you can't drop him now until that drops (old legs aside).

11 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

So where is all the criticism about playing players out of position. McCoist (rightly) got pelters for the same decision.

He get's plenty of criticism, especially on here.  In fact he gets pelters for the same things he was getting praised for this time last year.

Ive seen enough of Garner to think we have paid too much for him. I will give him a chance as a player though.

Waghorn was never going to beat his form of last season. I like the guy, he has been a good bit of business and produced the goods to get us here, but the reality is would be a squad player in times gone by, and is not the standard of a first choice Rangers striker. 

However that is the hand we are holding, and if we want to significantly improve it - we need to unearth a gem, have a good youth come through or splash the cash on proven quality. Until that happens, we won't have a Rangers standard frontline.

We spent more on Garner than the nonce did on Dembele & Griffiths combined and for me that's shocking.

When you spend £1.8m on a striker for the pishy SPFL you should at least be getting 20 goals a season back.

Can't even see him hitting 10 this season to be honest.

6 hours ago, HG5 said:

Then out the blue he gets a fabulous hattrick v QotS.

Perhaps sums up that that's his level?

He did miss 2 sitters in that game before finally registering.

Won't always get 5 chances in a game, but must've had a few yesterday?

That's the way it seems to me at the moment. I hope I'm wrong....but he just looks very....ordinary(?) in this league.

1 hour ago, LegendofCoop said:

That's the way it seems to me at the moment. I hope I'm wrong....but he just looks very....ordinary(?) in this league.

Same here.

You can almost see where the extra touch is costing him this year, where it didn't seem to matter last season.

11 hours ago, 55Bear said:

I'm of the same opinion. Dodoo doesn't have tremendous pace, but he does have the skill and lanky legs to go past a player and stay on his feet, to get himself in a good position to play the ball in.

Another thing I noticed is other players (Wallace, McKay, Tav even MOH) when they play the ball into the box often do it with too much pace, often overhitting it to the far side of the box (paid off last night but that's 1/1000) whereas JD floats the ball into the middle of the 6yrd box.

I reckon if he can supply Garner with crosses like that, he'll get a few goals racked up.

Interesting, I reckon, that Garner may be just the guy to get onto those 100 mph balls that are fired across the box.  They are a defenders nightmare if  someone is attacking them.  

Agree with your last sentence.

12 hours ago, 55Bear said:

Bit of an unfair assessment given he's only played a full 90 minutes once and Warbs refuses to play to his strengths.

You've opened an old wound there.

When Durrant came back from his long injury lay-off, he was in & out of the team.

I was desperate to see him back & make a full recovery, so was puzzled that he got used so sparingly.

I could never work out if he played at the level he did because he didn't get much game time, or if he didn't get much game time because that was the level he was at.

Beginning to have the same sort of vibe with Garner. 

Instinctively, I don't think he's got it, but I also think he needs a decent bit of pitch time to confirm that one way or the other.

7 hours ago, ex-guardsman said:

So was Hateley when he first arrived and he turned out not to shabby for us.

Hateley had a decent back catalogue to trade on while he was settling in, mate.

Allied to coming in to a team that had a bit of success under it's belt.

And being the guy who was going to take it to the next level, while we already had McCoist & MoJo on the books.

In our current circumstances, there's quite a lot resting on Garner's shoulders.

With nothing tangible to show for it yet.

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Interesting, I reckon, that Garner may be just the guy to get onto those 100 mph balls that are fired across the box.  They are a defenders nightmare if  someone is attacking them.  

Agree with your last sentence.

True they are a defenders nightmare but my concern is it's pointless if the person on the end of it (with the exception of Millers creamer last night) can't capitalise. Bit of a catch 22 really haha

1 hour ago, HG5 said:

You've opened an old wound there.

When Durrant came back from his long injury lay-off, he was in & out of the team.

I was desperate to see him back & make a full recovery, so was puzzled that he got used so sparingly.

I could never work out if he played at the level he did because he didn't get much game time, or if he didn't get much game time because that was the level he was at.

Beginning to have the same sort of vibe with Garner. 

Instinctively, I don't think he's got it, but I also think he needs a decent bit of pitch time to confirm that one way or the other.

I see what you're saying. I feel too that he needs a bit of game time, a decent run at it to see if he's more than just a scrappy wind up merchant. If not, and our hopes of a clinical finisher lie on Miller, I fear we'll be needing to seek out another new forward just as much as a centre back come January. We cant rely on scraping by in games if we want to finish top 2