Waghorn/Garner

gsa

On 14/10/2016 at 10:11 PM, GlasgowsBlue said:

Garner > Waghorn

I like Waghorn but he's never a winger. What I'd give to see these two play up top together in maybe a 3-5-2

Good thing Waghorn isn't playing as a winger then. Always bewilders me that people think because players start out wide that they're wingers. He clearly doesn't play as a winger.

He's been successful as right inside-forward before. He can play there. The problem is that his confidence is the lowest it's ever been.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Essandoh said:

Good thing Waghorn isn't playing as a winger then. Always bewilders me that people think because players start out wide that they're wingers. He clearly doesn't play as a winger.

He's been successful as right inside-forward before. He can play there. The problem is that his confidence is the lowest it's ever been.

Defenders are wise to what he wants to do, they know he is purely left sided and they don't let him come inside onto his left foot anymore. It's been happening for a while now, they force him down the outside to use his right I mean that shot in the second half on Friday night where he sliced it and blasted it into the stand summed up how much he is struggling playing that position at the moment

10 hours ago, Moody Blue said:

I don't think either are any good....just saying. Can't believe we've paid out so much money for Garner and don't play him or play to his strengths. For the money we spent, you'd imagine we'd build the team around our star buy....not us. 

At the same time, I'd also expect a helluva lot more from him. He's won more fouls than he's had shots so far. When was the last time he had a shot!? I completely agree that pushing him wide is pointless but even when he's there he seems to be more interested in going to ground/taking a tantrum against a defender over a shoulder barge. It's beginning to get tiresome but he deserves a consistent run of games to prove himself properly.

Whether he'll get that is another matter, which is bizarre when you consider the money that's been spent on him...

Waghorn is obviously low on confidence at the moment but I still think that at this level he's capable of being a good supporting act to a better striker with more quality.

It's just a shame that the striker we spent decent money on look like he's absolutely hopeless.

Garner needs a run of starts before we can properly judge but I'm afraid, so far it looks like a bad joke we spunked 1.8 million on him.

I don't think he's a bad player - we've signed a lot worse - but c'mon - almost 2 million for him?

I don't think Dodoo will amount to much, either. I know he's came back from injury but he's got squad player wrote all over him. He has no skill to beat a man.

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Garner needs a run of starts before we can properly judge but I'm afraid, so far it looks like a bad joke we spunked 1.8 million on him.

I don't think he's a bad player - we've signed a lot worse - but c'mon - almost 2 million for him?

I don't think Dodoo will amount to much, either. I know he's came back from injury but he's got squad player wrote all over him. He has no skill to beat a man.

He beat a man twice on Friday either side of the park :lol:

11 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

To me he just looks like your stereotypical lower league striker - works hard and is angry but ultimately lacks quality.

He might come good yet, a lot of the goals he scored for Preston were good finishes, but based on what I've seen so far I think we've paid well over the odds for him and he's been a bit of a panic signing.

6 hours ago, Essandoh said:

At the same time, I'd also expect a helluva lot more from him. He's won more fouls than he's had shots so far. When was the last time he had a shot!? I completely agree that pushing him wide is pointless but even when he's there he seems to be more interested in going to ground/taking a tantrum against a defender over a shoulder barge. It's beginning to get tiresome but he deserves a consistent run of games to prove himself properly.

Whether he'll get that is another matter, which is bizarre when you consider the money that's been spent on him...

Last sentence says it all for me mate.....we don't play someone that's cost us a lot of money (for us) but we spent that on a 28year old?  Very strange all round.

Garner definitely needs time to bed into the squad, a lot of people saying he's always on his arse, but when he plays he wins us free kicks out of nothing and often gets the team higher up the pitch. 

The same people that get angry with him being on his arse winning free kicks are probably the same people that get angry with fod passing the ball out from the back, but as said winning a free kick in the opponents half is never a bad thing, and yes I admit aswell he hasn't shown what merited 1.8 million for him, but let's give him a chance. 

On 14/10/2016 at 10:07 PM, Pearson83 said:

I do not rate waghorn and always felt he would struggle this season. 

I have never rated him and and was always slagged for it

He's not a striker, he misses so many opportunities and done that last season too. Most of his goal tally was from pens. Last season he would get four or five good chances in a game and maybe take one. This season he gets a lot less chances. A striker is someone that gets two good chances and either finishes both or one in two at least imo 

An unimpressive start, but Garner has a bit of time.

Waghorn on the other hand just gets worse. No issue with his attitude but his decision making and finishing are rank. Looks a very ordinary player when he isn't pulling off his occasional great goal.

14 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I thought he was great when he came on. Two or three dangerous crosses in the box and as another poster said he did beat a couple of players and it was with ease. Imo he.should start a game and see what happens. Mckay was better but Stillington great. He's been pretty awful all season,  so I don't see why Dodoo should get his chance. Maybe not Sunday though 

17 hours ago, K.A.I said:

In last 2 games he came on for Mckay he beat his man more in 15 mins than Mckay did in the full game

3 minutes ago, OhW said:

He scored 28 goals last season, 11 of which were penalties. Do you know what "most" means?

Obviously I didn't know the stats ya weapon. So do you think 17 goals in open play is good in the Scottish championship??  It's a fucking shite amount. Yes he was injured but he is not an out and out striker. Miller, boys, negri, McCoist they where proper strikers that would finish more than they missed. 

Waghorn is not a good striker,  simple as that .

And why do you have most in inverted commas. Do you know what the English language is? 

On 10/14/2016 at 10:39 PM, DMax399 said:

Not an ounce of form between Garner, Waghorn or McKay for that matter.  Get them all on the bench.

Dodoo showed some ambition when he came on, and it looks like our best striker is still Kenny Miller.  So perhaps we need MOH out wide right with those 2 up front with him?

We just don't look like we have goals in our front 3 right now.

Going back to the last old firm game....the time might be right for MOH to give us an outball and let us get everyone up the park a bit.

20 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Waghorn is obviously low on confidence at the moment but I still think that at this level he's capable of being a good supporting act to a better striker with more quality.

It's just a shame that the striker we spent decent money on look like he's absolutely hopeless.

add in MOH...doesn't even make the bench.

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 11:06 PM, billscott said:

waghorn was very poor and i just dont get garner he looks like a cart horse to me i know it is difficult to come on as sub but when he started v ross county he was awful as was waghorn in that game

it is a bit worrying that we are still needing kenny miller to get us a goal

Maybe, but it wasn't so long ago we were relying on an older DW to prevent them.