Holt Waghorn and McKay

Bobthemod

I thought Holt played quite well, couple of loose touches and passes but on the whole provided a lot of energy and running in midfield and got himself into good positions. Agree with Waghorn and McKay, they have been poor all season.

Garner was embarrassing again when he came in with the amateur dramatics can't take to this guy at all ?. Miller was excellent yet again and is turning back the years his finish was top notch.

Also didn't see how the pundits thought Collum had a good game.   ICT kicked us off the park in the 2nd half and no idea how that wasn't a red in the 1st. 

Good three points and some areaa to improve on ??

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

He scored a lot in the cup but missed a good few games in league due to injury so far to early to say he is struggling at this level 

Plenty of time left in the season for him to prove me wrong which I hope he does. At the moment though he has 1 goal in 6 league games.

Unless he drastically improves then even if he stays injury free for the rest of the season, which he probably won't, he won't even hit double figures in the league.

I dont rate Waghorn TBH. Gives us nothing but a good left foot shot which has been missing in the league. 

I thought McKay was decent last night but his passing was off. 

Holt was OK but that sitter was guilt edged. We score that and ww wim 3-0 or 4-0 IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

He scored a lot in the cup but missed a good few games in league due to injury so far to early to say he is struggling at this level 

I would like to see Waggy given s chance through the middle as he has seemed more potent there this season with Dodoo wide right, I've been very impressed with what is seen of Dodoo so far in terms of his directness.

56 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

They really shouldn't as Forrester hasn't been good enough when he's started this season and O'Halloran is a joke of a footballer who doesn't want to be here. 

Gonna someone show me what it is O'Halloran has ever done for Rangers to merit this hero-boy status he has? He's absolutely dire and hides whenever he plays. 

And he'll be away in January 

So McKay & Waghorn are continually playing and are continually shite, but should both start ahead of Forrester because he's not been good enough when he's played this year. Is it 1 rule for some players and another rule for the rest?

I'd be surprised if MOH offered less in last nights game than what Waghorn did. Waghorn wouldn't have looked out of place in a game of blind football last night.

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

I actually thought last night was Holt's best game since he returned from injury.

He won tackles, moved the ball quickly, got forward in support.

Agree about McKay and Waghorn though.

Fair point. I thought Holt got better as the game went on. His passing is a bit wayward at times, but at least he is very mobile and gets all around the park, harassing the opposition to get the ball back, when we lose it. He compliments Niko very well in midfield imo. I like Waghorn too - he's been a good signing for us, but he gets bogged down on the right wing too much for my liking, as teams know he likes to cut on to his left foot, and set up accordingly; either play him as a CF or not at all. Dodoo definitely made a difference when he came on, and I can see a player there, albeit work in progress. Agree about McKay though - he looks a player completely short of confidence this season.

Waghorn is a good player, and he has did well for us.

but.... he is a budget signing who was rescued from Wigan reserves. I think we need to remember this and accept limitations.

In years gone by Waghorn wouldn't get a game, or at least be a 4th, 5th choice Forward.

It has been generations of time since players of such modest pedigree have lead the Rangers attack in the top flight, but we are rangers, and expectation demands a Prso, Hateley, Mols, De Boer, etc.

12 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Plenty of time left in the season for him to prove me wrong which I hope he does. At the moment though he has 1 goal in 6 league games.

Unless he drastically improves then even if he stays injury free for the rest of the season, which he probably won't, he won't even hit double figures in the league.

A kinda half empty glass assessment but I suspect ( hope) he will do well at this level 

13 minutes ago, WCPRANGERS1 said:

I would like to see Waggy given s chance through the middle as he has seemed more potent there this season with Dodoo wide right, I've been very impressed with what is seen of Dodoo so far in terms of his directness.

I would like to see some of that as well but miller is earning his right to a start at the moment so we might have to wait for that 

31 minutes ago, Camshy said:

I cant agree with that, too many are criticising young Mckay in particular and he is by far our most accomplished player technically. 

criticising and quite rightly so! He's done F all this season! Everyone knows what he's away to do! Run at them, stop couple of step overs then cut inside and pass. Apart from that goal against them he's done nothing since! Drop him for a few games let somebody else in and make McKay work for his place. There is no denying that there is a player in him and he is still young and learning but he has been average this season. Few games out and hopefully comes back better for it. 

1 hour ago, Pearson83 said:

Waghorn really is poor and people will say it's cos he's been made to play on right, but the manager says his style means players need to work in other positions and seems waghorn can't do that. I've not ever really been his biggest fan and says to my mate in summer he needs to up his game and he's not done that at all! 

Thought holt played well enough and will only improve but McKay seems right off it and can't get past anybody at all, one lovely turn all night and that got wasted! Problem is manager won't drop them at all i don't think. 

Too heavy looking and out of position.

8 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I would like to see some of that as well but miller is earning his right to a start at the moment so we might have to wait for that 

It's good to have the options available to us though. 

Miller has probably been our most consistent forward player this season and has earned a regular starting place, although with matches coming up midweek and weekend we will probably see a wee bit more rotation in that position.

Holt had a decent game.

McKay is a typical winger that blows hot and cold. He was OK at times last night and then drifted out of the game. I think he needs to go on the outside and beat his man with pace more often. Predictably he cuts inside quite a lot and runs out of space. He also doesn't seem to be linking up as well with Waldo (who I thought was a little poor last night - apart from that cross for Kenny).

Waghorn is low on confidence and way off form. Playing out on the rhs does him no favours though.

Miller deserves to keep his slot and I'd try McKay on the right with Forrester on the left. Dodoo is definitely knocking on the door for a start too. Garner is a poor signing. O'Halloran just isn't suited to our system when teams sit in. If teams attack us and leave space in behind then MOH will be more useful as he has the pace to get past them (as does McKay).

MW has some serious thinking to do before next weekend.

Agree with the OP.

Waghorn has been struggling with injury and gets shifted about. Think with a run of games through the middle he might get a few more. Would rather have him there than Garner who other than putting in a shift looks like a waste of what little money we spent.

McKays looks like he's not even a winger, like a CM who's been asked to do a job and doesn't know how to attack a fullback? Massive confidence issue. The problem we have is he is our main man when on it and he just hasn't been on it. Holt was terrible last night but certainly brings something to our team when playing well.

Massive plus is Nikos continual improvement.

Issues we have is MW doesn't seem to trust others to start? Got guys starting who aren't in any sort of form and lads on the bench who aren't getting a run? 

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

What shite - McKay our best prospect, waghorn our top goal scored and holt whose drive we sorely missed when he was out. And you want to drop them - call them passengers  Oh dear!

McKay is well off the boil and Waghorn has only scored one goal in the league. I'd keep Holt in the team though. 

54 minutes ago, Camshy said:

I cant agree with that, too many are criticising young Mckay in particular and he is by far our most accomplished player technically. Have been far worse performers than him this season.

Holt is gaining fitness and has looked in decent form since coming back so I have no worries with him.

The main concern is Waghorn, he has really struggled to have any decent impact in most games he has played, people can say what they want about wee Barrie but he has had good impact in a number of games, Waggy on thr other hand has really struggled. He only has one trick and that trick forces him onto his non existent right foot.

I could see it last season and he is now up against fitter and faster players so he has to adapt his game. I have no doubt he has the quality to turn it around but he must change what he trying to do in games.

I think most of the managers signings are based on their technical ability but the issue with them is a lack of consistency and in some cases desire.

Came across a clip of the cup final we won against St Mirren with 9 men, now you can say what you want about how it ended with some in that team but you can't fault their desire. I just can't see where we get that sort of fight and desire with our current team?

Holt needs games to get back to his best so he should stay in, as for the other 2 McKay has had all season so far and still looks out of his depth and Waghorn couldn't score in a brothel with a free voucher, time for them to take a seat and give someone else a chance. 

29 minutes ago, weshallnotbemoved! said:

Too heavy looking and out of position.

Agree. Seems almost to have bulked up too much? Doesn't seem to have us much mobility as last season. Ball seems to get stuck under his feet etc. Heard it mentioned before that there is a fine line with some players that bulk up too much?

Guest Lloyd72

I've never really rated Waghorn, thought he looked clumsy on the ball and wasted a lot of chances last season.

I do rate Mckay but he's been shocking this season thought he showed a few glimpses yesterday of coming back to his old self.

Holt is a very underrated player in our side and one bad game should be allowed for him given his usual consistency.

3 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

What shite - McKay our best prospect, waghorn our top goal scored and holt whose drive we sorely missed when he was out. And you want to drop them - call them passengers  Oh dear!

I sometimes wonder if you actually know anything at all about football then you post like this and confirm my thoughts.

6 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I sometimes wonder if you actually know anything at all about football then you post like this and confirm my thoughts.

... I suspect you think you know it all because you win the odd game on FIFA or some other pc game! 

waghorn has never had it in him to be a forward for us.

I can now see why hearts punted holt to lightweight and really doesn't offer much more than energy.

McKay I have always been a massive fan and you can see the undoubted ability. He needs to start believing in himself tho. If he did that and was more direct he'd be the best winger in Scotland.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Waghorn is a good player, and he has did well for us.

but.... he is a budget signing who was rescued from Wigan reserves. I think we need to remember this and accept limitations.

In years gone by Waghorn wouldn't get a game, or at least be a 4th, 5th choice Forward.

It has been generations of time since players of such modest pedigree have lead the Rangers attack in the top flight, but we are rangers, and expectation demands a Prso, Hateley, Mols, De Boer, etc.

Spot on!